Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 75,730 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move down that way at the end of the summer from Atlanta and have some questions about what may be best suited for me.

Basically, here are my needs:
--decent jobs (I don't need to have great corporate jobs. I'll be a receptionist at a dental office or a waitress or of couse something I'm qualified to do. I'm not picky)
--Near the beach!
--SAFE SAFE SAFE (after living in Atlanta and being scared out of my wits most of the time, this is very important)
--Decent people (nice, easy to go places I could meet friends, etc).
--Reasonably priced (rent no more than about $700 a month but cheaper is better while still being safe)
--I realize traffic is awful everywhere but somewhere with minimal traffic or where I don't have to fight to get 5 miles down the road is best.

Ideally I'd love to start my pet sitting business up again down there but that takes quite a lot of time to gain the clientele so that's why I'm ok to leave my business alone for a while (also considering if there's even a market for it down there).

I'd also like to meet nice people, so meetup groups, Al-Anon meetings, and cute boys are important In all seriousness though, I'd like to meet a nice guy as well.

What is better for what I'm asking for? I know Tampa is bigger than Clearwater and may have better jobs, but I also know Clearwater and St. Pete are a little cheaper but more filled with older people (so I hear). I am in love wiht Sarasota/Bradenton but I understand for jobs and meeting people, it may be harder.

Does anyone have any help to offer me? I'm a 26/F if that matters. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,016 times
I'm thinking that St. Pete Beach or Treasure Island would suit you best. You could still work in St. Pete but live close to the beach. It's fairly affordable, too. Make a trip down and check it out!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
I'm thinking that St. Pete Beach or Treasure Island would suit you best. You could still work in St. Pete but live close to the beach. It's fairly affordable, too. Make a trip down and check it out!
Thanks. I went down to Sarasota/Tampa last summer for my sister's wedding (she lives in Orlando) and I love Sarasota so much but I'm not sure how suitable it'd be for me. So that's why I'm thinking Tampa or something.

I have been to Clearwater twice, once when I was there last summer for the wedding and the other time a couple months back, but I don't know it much. I remember going to Tarpon Springs and enjoying that, but as far as living there, I don't know anything about it.

I've never been to St. Pete so I know nothing about it. I'm hoping to get down there by July to start looking at places.

Is it safe down there? Any high crime areas I need to stay away from?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,016 times
It's safest by the beaches. Stay away from south St. Pete...it's...uhhh... undesireable. I'm not fond of the Clearwater Beach areas either, but that may just be me.

Tampa and Sarasota are just a short drive so it's all good!

I didn't love the beach till I moved up to the panhandle:

Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I don't care for Clearwater Beach either - too much traffic and always so congested, plus if I recall there are meters.

Sarasota would be a great place to start up your pet-sitting business, maybe even house-sitting could be added. You would not believe the wealth in this area and they will spend it on their pets. The only problem will be what kind of job you can get in the meantime, but if you can solve that I don't think you would be sorry coming here. The beaches are gorgeous - pretty much look like what On-da-Beach posted above, but a few more people (although we have some quiet beaches too)

Depending where in Sarasota or Tampa you are, it's about an hour commute - we live on the north end of Sarasota, and my hubby commutes to downtown Tampa for work every day - exactly one hour.

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Thanks for your help! I'm from the Panhandle (Pensacola to be exact) and I am very homesick. Though I don't care for the city and the people there, I miss the beach. Nothing beats the beaches back home

My friend in Tampa sent me all this today (she grew up in Palm Harbor):
Quote:
My ever-so-humble opinion is that you target the following areas:
Hyde Park
North Clearwater
West Clearwater
Dunedin
North Tampa
North St. Pete
Indian Rocks
Seminole
Largo (it's about 50/50...depends on location)

I would NOT go for the following areas:
South St. Pete (not too gre at an area)
Safety Harbor (old people)
Palm Harbor (old people - i have to drive 30+ min for anything fun)
South Tampa (not too great an area)
Gulfport (old people)
Treasure Island (as cool as it would be to have that on a return address) (TOURISTS and it shuts down in the winter)
Madeira Beach (too damn far)
Reddington Beach (too damn far)
Pinellas Park (DANGER!)
Temple Terrace (too damn far and too many highways)
I'm definitely going to look into her suggestions!! Any more help will be greatly appreciated!

As for my pet sitting business--I'd LOVE to do it again down there. I have the best job in the entire world. It's so rewarding, though I'm by no means rich. Still, I'm rich in my heart, and that's all that matters

I'm perfectly fine with waiting tables for a while if I did get to start it back up. I was looking around in Sarasota for other pet sitting businesses and there aren't many at all. That leads me to think there's not much a market there for it. I could be wrong though. Can anyone help me answer that question too? I've figured Sarasota is a vacation spot where people come to the city but not really leave it. Then agan, I don't know enough about it to know for sure. I'd like to figure that out as well!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:23 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbeforeg View Post
Thanks for your help! I'm from the Panhandle (Pensacola to be exact) and I am very homesick. Though I don't care for the city and the people there, I miss the beach. Nothing beats the beaches back home

I'm definitely going to look into her suggestions!! Any more help will be greatly appreciated!

As for my pet sitting business--I'd LOVE to do it again down there. I have the best job in the entire world. It's so rewarding, though I'm by no means rich. Still, I'm rich in my heart, and that's all that matters

I'm perfectly fine with waiting tables for a while if I did get to start it back up. I was looking around in Sarasota for other pet sitting businesses and there aren't many at all. That leads me to think there's not much a market there for it. I could be wrong though. Can anyone help me answer that question too? I've figured Sarasota is a vacation spot where people come to the city but not really leave it. Then agan, I don't know enough about it to know for sure. I'd like to figure that out as well!
Oh, I think there's a need for it - people here like to travel - and as I said you could look after houses as well. For instance, we just moved here and I am going to need to find someone to look after our cats when we travel. You could pick out a neighborhood (like perhaps where you live) and "work it." Make business cards and take them to all the vet's offices, and petstores, etc. If you are a go-getter at all, I think this is a great area for that.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Oh, I think there's a need for it - people here like to travel - and as I said you could look after houses as well. For instance, we just moved here and I am going to need to find someone to look after our cats when we travel. You could pick out a neighborhood (like perhaps where you live) and "work it." Make business cards and take them to all the vet's offices, and petstores, etc. If you are a go-getter at all, I think this is a great area for that.
Oh I do all of that here currently in Atlanta. I know people travel everywhere, but I was thinking that Sarasota was a retirement town where people go but don't really leave.

My sister's husband and his family are from Bradenton and my sister said her father-in-law said I'd fair better having the business in Bradenton b/c it's more business and less retired people. I'm not sure though.

I'd LOVE to move to Sarasota. It's so gorgeous there that I fell in love with it the second my plane landed there last year. But people keep telling me it's "where people go to die" b/c it's a retirement town. They have also pointed out I may have a difficult time meeting a guy (at 26, I'd like to meet someone and settle down!) one day. So that's why they're all pushing for Tampa/Clearwater for me.

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,530 times
Hey everyone!
Interested in relocating to Tampa area but I'm having a difficult time deciding where to look, hubby and I discussed it we would want to be atleast 15mins from the beach, any suggestions of area near the Tampa area? Flexible

Old 01-16-2017, 05:40 PM

175 posts, read 637,151 times
South Tampa, not too great? Really? I beg to differ. A+ schools and extremely walkable from what I can tell. My family is working on a relocation from Chicago and everyone we've spoken to has raved about South Tampa. The drawback appears to be that it's a bit pricey. But I wouldn't say it isn't too great. Not sure where that's coming from???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbeforeg View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay