Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 06:04 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting in a couple of weeks to look at condos, as I understand there are some good prices. Can anyone tell me, however, what the property taxes are like? I'm seeing condos for $40,000, but with an annual tax of $3600! Can this be right? Are the taxes based on the property value before the market dipped? Do these numbers get re-evaluated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
There's a lot to be known about these condos in addition to taxes - such as HOA as well.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:40 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There's a lot to be known about these condos in addition to taxes - such as HOA as well.
Besides the HOA, taxes, and insurance~have you heard of many who have the special assessments? I understand those can be the rough spot in condo ownership.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,690 times
The tax rate is around 1% on the assesed tax value which could be current or outdated. Some HOA's are low and some are high ,but is all relative on what you make and what you want....

Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 PM

214 posts, read 678,289 times
I was wondering about this myself. It seems (and the Floridians here will correct me) that the first year you own a home, you are taxed at the market value as determined by your assessor. After a year, assuming you live in the home, you get a homeowners exemption which will lower you taxes somewhat.

The Pinellas County assessor has a great Web site that lists current taxes on homes by parcel number and what the tax would be without exemption(s). I suggest you have a look there. In some cases where people have lived in a home a long time, the tax would triple (for at least the first year) if you bought it. Not sure how often a reassessment is done.

I live in a pretty heavily taxed school district but in some cases, it looks like a smaller condo in Pinellas would actually cost me more in taxes than my townhouse here.

Take this with a grain of salt - this is just what I've been able to figure out so far from this board and browsing the assessor's site.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:21 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Just beware there are some new condos that may appear to be a good deal because of the low cost but there are major construction problems.

The tax amount you listed is more than what is normal for 40K house

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I will be visiting in a couple of weeks to look at condos, as I understand there are some good prices. Can anyone tell me, however, what the property taxes are like? I'm seeing condos for $40,000, but with an annual tax of $3600! Can this be right? Are the taxes based on the property value before the market dipped? Do these numbers get re-evaluated?
I'm seeing this too and wondering what the deal is? I'm seeing some nice 1/1 some with garage for 29-40k. HOA anywhere from 110-300. Taxes should not be friggin 3k though. What gives?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 PM

86 posts, read 236,949 times
Buyer beware....you get what you pay for. Taxes should be 1-2% of current market value. Watch those HOA fees. Some condos were apartments, not that greatest construction. Many filled with a mixture of owners who paid too much and renters. This situation may take 10 yrs to be resolved, imo. I looked at one here in Riverview for an out of state friend HOA was $435 for 2 br, 2 ba @ 85K, when I questioned the sales rep, he became impatient with me. C'est la vie. Caveat emptor!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:50 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I'm seeing this too and wondering what the deal is? I'm seeing some nice 1/1 some with garage for 29-40k. HOA anywhere from 110-300. Taxes should not be friggin 3k though. What gives?
Where are you getting this number from? Just to be sure, you may want to check the Pinellas County Tax Assessor's website. The just value of a property, in which the property taxes are calculated, in Floirda is adjusted every year. In some states, this is only done every 5 years. Just remember to check if there are any current exemptions. This will make the listed taxes as lower than what you may pay. For the first year, you will pay the existing taxes, regardless of any exemptions or not. During that first year you will need to apply for any exemptions you might be eligible for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay