U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 PM

353 posts, read 648,799 times

Advertisements

Economic casualties pile into tent cities - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 01:58 PM

96 posts, read 624,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
Interesting article and a bit scary. Makes me wonder how far away I am from living in a tent sometimes. (But both my wife and I have family on both sides, so I suspect that if worse ever comes to worst, we could always have them to fall back on).

The choice of calling those people the "economic homeless" is an interesing designation, too.

My wife and I often debate the issue of homelessness among ourselves and with friends. We consider ourselves liberal on most social issues, but always have a hard time with homelessness.

Neither of us likes the idea of anyone being homeless, while at the same time, we don't like to support street drunks and street addicts who seem to have chosen that lifestyle, i.e., the "chronic homeless" as the article stated it. I live in Seattle and we have a huge problem with that here.

It is hard to know how to approach this problem at times. I want to help people who really want to get out of their situation, but always balk at feeding someone's drug or drinking habit.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM

I have never seen any tent cities in St. Pete. I wonder where they are????

Old 05-05-2009, 02:52 PM

96 posts, read 624,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
I have never seen any tent cities in St. Pete. I wonder where they are????
The article stated this: "The unemployed Detroit autoworker moved to Florida last year hoping he'd have better luck finding a job. He didn't, and he spent three months sleeping on sidewalks before landing in a tent city in Pinellas County, north of St. Petersburg."

Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 32,247,144 times
That is such a touching story.

All I can say is "Cheers to Pinellas Hope." It's wonderful to see people in the world who are willing to help someone when they are down on their luck.

One of the sad things is that it appears that many of these people would be more then willing to work if only there was employment available. It's a viscious circle. Not many employers will choose you if you aren't dressed well or don't look like you have money to start with.

Something else that is sad is that it appears that the expansion is being shunned. Shame on the Grandmother in the story. She would be setting a much better example if she explained to her grandchildren that sometimes bad things happen to good people through no fault of their own. She could teach them to be thankful that they have each other and a house to live in and let them see that not everyone is that fortunate. She could teach them to pray for people in that situation and share with them if they are able to.

As for the drug addicts and alcoholics and mentally ill~How many children who are growing up and asked what they want to be say, "OH, I'm hoping to be mentally ill or be an alcoholic. I wanna be homeless and have others look down on me." The mentally ill are afflicted and the drug addicts/alcoholics have an addiction.

The fact that the homeless raise so much fear in people is unfounded. The homeless are often the ones who are taunted and tormented. There are just as many stories of someone beating a homeless person to death as there are of a homeless person murdering someone. Just sad that so many people are so hardened.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 AM

638 posts, read 961,551 times
Obama has things well in hand. Things will get better any day now. Just don't hold your breath unless you have Fire Rescue standing by to administer medical assistance.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:59 AM

11,899 posts, read 15,833,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Obama has things well in hand. Things will get better any day now. Just don't hold your breath unless you have Fire Rescue standing by to administer medical assistance.
I hope this was a dose
of sarcasm cause if you keep believing that obama will do anything to help this country then you are being fooled . the only people obama will help is himself , michelle and his daughters . You can bet your last dollar on that . He is just like the others before him are concerned about their own welfare and no one elses . my heart goes out to folks that are in a tent city sittuation . I mean let us face it most of us live paycheck to paycheck these days and you cannot raise a family on 7.00 an hr and still meet bills .and for some of us if that paycheck dissappears then we are in it deep and we all know that without money you can very well end up in a tent .

Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 AM

638 posts, read 961,551 times
Sarcasm of course..hence the Fire Rescue standing by. I'm sure the Messiah will part the waters for his next act of greatness. Wait until the bill becomes due on all of this "STIMULUS" money!!! Inflation?? 15% interest rates will look good!!! Forget about tent cities....we will need tent states!!! I don't want to make this about politics but Democratic run state governments like California, New York, and Michigan are on the verge of bankruptcy. When you tax the hell out of the tax base they leave for safe haven tax states like Florida, Texas, and others. When they leave you are still left with the social problems and social programs you so heartily endorse!! Who is going to pay for it??? Hold on people...things will not get better any time in the near future. This government was never created with the idea that the states would be beholden to the Federal Government for sustainability. Many, many, many states are now in that very situation. States like Texas are in MUCH better financial shape than others because they rely on state and state rights to take care of their own. They pay more to the Federal Government than they get back. I'm no doomsayer but while America is on the verge of collapse, most of the boobs in this country are worried about who will be voted off American Idol tonight, What happened on The Amazing Race, and How is Jack Bauer doing??? Wake up America!!!! Your country is being hijacked right in front of your eyes and you don't even realize it!!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 AM

413 posts, read 1,146,838 times
I noticed a tent city on my way to work. The next day it was gone. It is sad that in this couintry people have to live in tents.

I am sick of how like another poster said people are more concerned about who will get voted of American Idol. Who the heck cares.

This country needs to go back to where we are concerned about out neighbors.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM

I feel empathy for the mentally ill and the homeless and I do a lot of volunteer work in extremely poor areas of the Northeast. But my empathy ends the minute I see a homeless person defecate in my front yard or expose himself to my children (happens all the time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay