U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 PM

15,878 posts, read 17,393,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
The high cost of living out there filters out the trash.

It does help. But as a long term Southern CA resident even in the poorer areas you don't see people who look like they do here.

It is shocking how many people smoke and our grossly overweight.

This is Jerry Springer country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM

139 posts, read 160,851 times
There aren't a whole lot of "hippie" areas in Florida, especially Tampa. I would suggest moving to the west or northeast.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,505,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
There aren't a whole lot of "hippie" areas in Florida, especially Tampa. I would suggest moving to the west or northeast.

Or even the UK. I havent ruled out England believe it or not.

It seems true though, while there are gays and acceptance in Tampa, I also heard a dark side.. the city wouldnt allow Logo to film there and not only that and although its not a big issue, it could be to some, but there are no places really like Whole Foods in Tampa. St Pete has a few natural food places though. And Tampa seems similar to many hick areas in pockets considering it can feel urban in pockets as well. At least one things for sure, you wont get much if very little of this kinda stuff (Springer trash image and unkempt) near Boston, or in Portland, Seattle, or the UK. All of those but Boston are on my radar.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 PM

13,859 posts, read 27,213,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Or even the UK. I havent ruled out England believe it or not.

It seems true though, while there are gays and acceptance in Tampa, I also heard a dark side.. the city wouldnt allow Logo to film there and not only that and although its not a big issue, it could be to some, but there are no places really like Whole Foods in Tampa. St Pete has a few natural food places though. And Tampa seems similar to many hick areas in pockets considering it can feel urban in pockets as well. At least one things for sure, you wont get much if very little of this kinda stuff (Springer trash image and unkempt) near Boston, or in Portland, Seattle, or the UK. All of those but Boston are on my radar.
You don't know what you are talking about. Whole Foods is in South Tampa, also a Publix Greenwise store. And fresh Market is in Carrollwood. There are a number of other natural food places as well. St. Pete does not have a Whole Foods. There is nothing hickish about Tampa - sure the outskirts like WHERE YOU LIVE NOW IN ELLENTON might fill that bill. Please don't post imaginary things when you have not even lived anywhere in Tampa or St. Pete.

As far as LOGO not filming here and for what reason, care to post a link?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 AM

451 posts, read 740,974 times
I don't buy some sort of established conspiracy against the gay community in Tampa. Beyond having a woman mayor, Tampa has an out lesbian as its chief of police. If there is some "dark side" keeping GLBTs down, it sure is ineffective.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 AM

2,602 posts, read 6,562,897 times
The biggest anti-gay thing Hillsborough County had was Rhonda Storms. At least she's moved on to state-level politics.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,488,260 times
Tampa International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival 2010

http://www.tiglff.com/images/logo.png (broken link)

Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 AM

15,878 posts, read 17,393,684 times
Anytime TBO has a story regarding gays and lesbians they end up closing the comments section. There are some very nasty comments regarding the male flight attendant from Jet Blue on there right now.

Tampa is by no means a progressive city(how about the Confederate flag) nor is FL a progressive state.

And they love their guns here.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,781,067 times
Ozona used to be a hippy enclave... near Molly Goodheads restaurant.

Not sure what goes on there these days.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM

13,859 posts, read 27,213,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Anytime TBO has a story regarding gays and lesbians they end up closing the comments section. There are some very nasty comments regarding the male flight attendant from Jet Blue on there right now.

Tampa is by no means a progressive city(how about the Confederate flag) nor is FL a progressive state.

And they love their guns here.
The thing I have noticed is, no matter WHAT story in what paper anywhere in the country, the nasty negative people come out to comment in droves, people like to vent - even on positive articles. Florida certainly does not have a monopoly on that. One Confederate flag means nothing regarding an entire city, are you kidding me? And even so-called progressive California has it's cities that I certainly would not call open-minded or progressive - (Bakersfield, Stockton, etc.) You can find good and bad in any state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay