U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 PM

54 posts, read 146,009 times

Advertisements

I need some suggestions as to which city would be the best to live in. I have heard great things about both cities so I'm rather torn. Tampa has a school I would like to attend to finish my degree, however, St. Pete is not too far of a drive from there. Any help would be better than none!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 05:20 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,706,857 times
St. Pete may not be too far in miles, BUT if you are travelling during rush hour, it can take a lot longer. Do you really want to be dealing with traffic? I live near USF and it takes me (without traffic) at least 45 minutes to get to St. Pete.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Oh.....that is good to know. Do you like living near USF, that is where I will be going and have looked into getting an apartment at Post Rocky Point in South Tampa. Would you recommend this??

Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,240,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smltwngrl0570 View Post
Oh.....that is good to know. Do you like living near USF, that is where I will be going and have looked into getting an apartment at Post Rocky Point in South Tampa. Would you recommend this??
Post Rocky Point is not in South Tampa, its in the Westshore/Airport area of Tampa. South Tampa is considered the area of land South of Kennedy Blvd. Just an FYI. That is quite the commute from Rocky POint to USF, be best if it wasnt during rish hour times.

As far as Tampa and St. Pete, I look at Tampa as the bigger brother of his cute laid back sister St. Pete. Both have lots ot offer, but if you are schooling at USF, I recommend living in Tampa.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 PM

That is good to know. Do you have any suggestions of other apartment complexes that are in a safe area, but have a younger atmosphere??

Old 05-06-2009, 08:29 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,601,934 times
There are plenty of great areas around USF, but beware of suit case city/sulfur springs area. High in crime, and very run down.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Im not quite sure where that is at, but I will keep that in mind. Im a single girl in my 20s and definitely dont want a place that I have to worry about walking my dog at night.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 PM

13,547 posts, read 17,084,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
As far as Tampa and St. Pete, I look at Tampa as the bigger brother of his cute laid back sister St. Pete. Both have lots ot offer, but if you are schooling at USF, I recommend living in Tampa.
I agree. I like St. Pete, but Tampa is much better in every way.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 PM

108 posts, read 259,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smltwngrl0570 View Post
Im not quite sure where that is at, but I will keep that in mind. Im a single girl in my 20s and definitely dont want a place that I have to worry about walking my dog at night.
You could look for a place aroud Hyde Park/SoHo. The drive to USF isn't too bad and you'll have plenty of young people around. There is a number of smaller apartment buildings around, many of which are quite affordable. And it's a pretty safe neighborhood for the most part.

St Pete is a great city, especially the downtown, but as others pointed out commuting to USF isn't going to be much fun.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM

28 posts, read 60,717 times
I would live in St. Pete personally, but as I work at USF there is absolutely no way I will make that commute every day. From St. Pete you are looking at at least an hour each way depending on traffic. On a small bridge where any traffic hiccup can cause major delays. Two hours minimum in a car in the summer heat/humidity here is brutal.

Rocky Point is still going to be a bit of a commute, but if you can take back roads to downtown and jump on 275 from there, you will be OK (probably looking at about 30 mins.). I live in South Tampa and I avoid 275 until north of downtown so that going toward USF I am going away from the commute. You'll need to keep the same in mind if you are returning to Rocky Point between 4-6pm. Unfortunately, its just a rough drive sometimes. If you will be going during off-peak hours, it won't be bad at all.

There are some nicer places around Temple Terrace (USF) and some REALLY nice ones being built (The Lodge at Lakecrest being one of them), but as someone else also said, there are some dangerous areas close, so I would be very discerning and research any place thoroughly.

Good Luck and welcome to Tampa!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay