Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 23,994 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone....we are from Canada and will be in Clearwater next week and the long range forecast is predicting thunderstorms. Should I be worried? How bad do the storms get this time of year? Very nervous about it and would appreciate any info. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,633,833 times
When are you coming down? There is no rain in the 10 day forecast. I wouldn't worry about the thunderstorms. Go inside if you see big dark rain clouds coming.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 AM

We are coming wednesday the 13th and staying for one week.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 AM

I just checked a weather forcast. They are predicting 30% chance of rain/thunderstorms for Thursday and 60% for Friday. It will be HOT, compared to what you are use to in Canada. The water should be nice a warm too. They keep forcasting rain, but then they take it away. We may end up with no rain while you are visiting. We have been in a bad drought for a long time. Even if it does rain, and we end up with one of our big thunderstorms, just keep an eye on the forcast and the sky. If you see anything threatening, go inside. Yes, lightening can strike 10 miles away, but out here, you can usually see it coming farther away than that. This isn't our big rainy season anyway. Summer is when we have big thunderstorms every afternoon around 3 or 4 pm.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 AM

96 posts, read 734,065 times
You really don't have much to fear from a Spring thunderstorm. Most of the really bad ones occur during the Summer months.

I really miss thunderstorms! I've been living in the Pacific Northwest for 10 years, close to the Canadian border, and we never get that sort of dramatic weather.

I guess because I grew up in the Southeast, I just got used to them, but I've never been afraid of one so long as there was shelter to seek when things really got bad. (The only time I've ever really been scared by a thunderstorm was out in an open boat).

So, like Annaegel stated, just go inside if it looks like it is going to really be a bad one.

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 05-07-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Removed automatic formatting tags

Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 AM

Thank you annaegel and Sailor Curt....I guess I feel better now. So basically you are saying that even if there is thunderstorms, they shouldn't be severe nor would they last all day?
This is our first family vacation ever and I would hate it to be ruined by rain and thunderstorms as we are really looking forward to the beaches. That's why we chose Clearwater over Orlando.
I appreciate your input.
Thanks again

Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 AM

96 posts, read 734,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh62 View Post
So basically you are saying that even if there is thunderstorms, they shouldn't be severe nor would they last all day?
Well, nobody can predict with 100% certainty what a thunderstorm is going to do once it starts to form. But what I'm saying is that, typically, thunderstorms in the spring don't have as much intensity as a summer thunderstorm has. But, you have to understand that there is always the chance that conditions might cause a spring storm to intensify. Checking the weather forecast regularly is a good idea if you are truly concerned.

And most thunderstorms don't last very long. I can recall being at the beach, going in because of a thunderstorm, and once it passed over (sometimes an hour, sometimes in 15 minutes), the sun was back out and so were we.

Relax, and enjoy your vacation. I personally predict that you will have a great time!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 AM

338 posts, read 1,007,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh62 View Post
Thank you annaegel and Sailor Curt....I guess I feel better now. So basically you are saying that even if there is thunderstorms, they shouldn't be severe nor would they last all day?
This is our first family vacation ever and I would hate it to be ruined by rain and thunderstorms as we are really looking forward to the beaches. That's why we chose Clearwater over Orlando.
I appreciate your input.
Thanks again
Don't worry, be happy. Enjoy your family vacation even if there is a storm it won't ruin your trip, they come and go. You might even find it amazing how hard it can rain. That was my first impression of the summer storms here. I never saw rain come down that hard back in NJ,it was facinating to watch kids will love it ,if you even seea storm that is. It has been so dry now and no real storms predicted so far.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:41 AM

We rarely get rainy days like up north. I too am from NJ and we never had such downpours like Florida has. However, they only last 15 minutes, no more than an hour.

I hope you enjoy your trip. There are lots do to in Clearwater. Go to the aquarium near the beach. It is small, but nice. They have a dolphin that has been fitted with a prosthetic. Early in the morning, near the round-about they have blow up water slides. I am not sure if they will have them this time of year, but if they do, they only have them in the morning. By afternoon, it is too hot and they deflate them. I like to go to siesta key which is a 5 minute drive from Clearwater beach. It is quiet. You do have to feed the meter some quarters, but not too expensive.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:55 PM

338 posts, read 1,007,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
We rarely get rainy days like up north. I too am from NJ and we never had such downpours like Florida has. However, they only last 15 minutes, no more than an hour.

I hope you enjoy your trip. There are lots do to in Clearwater. Go to the aquarium near the beach. It is small, but nice. They have a dolphin that has been fitted with a prosthetic. Early in the morning, near the round-about they have blow up water slides. I am not sure if they will have them this time of year, but if they do, they only have them in the morning. By afternoon, it is too hot and they deflate them. I like to go to siesta key which is a 5 minute drive from Clearwater beach. It is quiet. You do have to feed the meter some quarters, but not too expensive.
Are you sure you mean Siesta Key? That is in Sarasota County and more like an hour drive from Clw Bch. Honey moon Island might be fun especially if they take the ferry over to Caladesie Island. Also in nearby Tampa- Busch Gardens .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay