U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,359 times

Advertisements

I'm sure everyone is tired of post like these but I could really use some help. I am a black woman with children ranging from 13 to 4. I want to move to FL, I have friends in Orlando and Miami, not really interested in living in those places. I heard that Tampa is a nice diverse city. Seriously, I plan on trying to move late this year or early next year. I have info on a lot but I need info on the cleanest, safest areas in Tampa. I previously lived in Independence, MO and my children were the subject of a lot of racism by our neighbors. We were the only black family in our immediate area. I don't want to have to see confederate flags and have swatikas drawn on my driveway. Anyway, I would like to live in a diverse neighborhood racially mixed without all that drama. I have a housing voucher, so please don't get the wrong impression. I have a paralegal and associates degree in applied science. I am currently obtaining my BA in Arts and Science, my major is criminal justice and minor sociology. Explained that because I know alot of people think that everyone that has a housing voucher are not trying to better themselves and are wild and a crazy. NOT ME. Anyway I already know that my voucher will double because the cost of living is higher in Tampa as opposed to here in KC, but here I still pay more than half of my rent and all utilities. So I want an idea on a nice community that would be right for me and my children. I want to be close to Walmart, Target and a major food store, we have Price Chopper's here and I LOVE Starbucks, but I can do without that Starbucks that is. Parks, nice schools and low crime. Again I know crime is everywhere, but I don't want to be dodging bullets nor have a daily visit from the police in the neighborhood constantly. At this current time I work in a small nursing agency as an outreach coordinator and I also do the weekly billing, but I have done customer service and I also worked for BCBS and I know about some of the places there like Publix, Liberty and Medico. I heard jobs are pretty bad but it's like that everywhere in the meantime I have other income like child support. Probably TMI but anyway. Can I PLEASE get some info on what areas to look into for homes, flood zones and things like that. Any info would be of a great help. My brother, fiance and I plan on driving down sometime in late June or early July. I hope this is not too confusing for anyone, and thanks for any info. And I don't necessarily have to be anywhere near the ocean, honestly it kinda scares me, at least it did when I ws in LA but I was 13 then.

Last edited by selzm7; 05-07-2009 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Had to add comment in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,678,422 times
What does a housing voucher get you? I am not sure what that is used for. Are you able to get section 8 housing? If so, I live in Tampa Palms (in the New Tampa) area and the apartments on Compton Ave, are section 8. There are a mix of people, nice neighborhood. We have all those stores you are asking about. Supermarkets (Publix and Sweetbay, never heard of Liberty and Medico), Wal-Mart, Target (2 in fact), movies, and plenty of shopping, and yes, we have Starbucks! We also have a nice mall that opened up that has Barnes and Nobles. The New Tampa area has low crime. The schools are "A" rated (Tampa Palms Elementary, Liberty Middle and Freedom High school). Without living in those apartments, there are other apartments nearby by on Amberly, but there is a little more crime (mostly domestic stuff). I live in a house nearby to the apartments. I am not sure if you are looking to buy. My block, we have mostly white, then latin and one black family. There have never been any issues. We all get along nicely. When their house had a fire (due to lint in the vent catching on fire), some of us stopped by with gifts when she moved back in. I never heard any negative words about them.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 12,359 times
Yes that is exactly what I have a Section 8 voucher, so no I'm not looking to buy, of course. I am looking for a 4 bedroom house at least, is that possible? As for jobs do you know the best places to start sending my resume? At this time I work in a small nursing agency (outreach coordinator/receptionist/billing), but I have a paralegal degree and have done plenty of customer service work.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,678,422 times
I am not sure how that would work for renting a house. I know there are certain apartment complexes in the new tampa area that are for section 8 like the one I told you about in Tampa Palms (Compton Place) and another one off of Bruce B. Downs, Morgan Creek apartments(right across the Starbucks you like). There are lots of kids in the Morgan Creek, though I don't know what school they are zoned for. I see Compton Place has kids waiting for the school bus. If you lived in Compton Place apartment, Tampa Palms Elementary is only a 5 minute walk. I have not seen any apartments that are 4 bedroom. The largest apartments are 3 bedrooms.

I suppose you can call the place that gave you your voucher and ask how that would work for renting a house. I am sorry, I just don't know the answer to that.

As far as work, there are so precious few jobs available. Even our supermarkets are on a hiring freeze. My husband was layed off 3 months now and he has had only one interview. He is working with 5 different recruiting agencies. A friend of mine is looking for a job and has gone to job fairs where there are companies that aren't hiring and aren't taking resumes. She wondered why they were even there. Even Bush Gardens has too many people applying for jobs.

Where are you going to school? That may help to know. You don't want to be traveling too far every day. If you are going to USF, New Tampa area would be an easy commute.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:41 PM

15,878 posts, read 17,387,683 times
If Confederate flags bother you please be aware they fly a huge one in Tampa where two interstates cross.

Never understood that as Florida played hardly any role at all in the Civil War. But regardless it flies and they just put up an even larger one.

You will also see confederate flags on bumper stickers as well.

You want to keep that in mind.

We have lived all over the country and (mostly in Southern CA), this has been the only place where I have heard the N word used in conversation.

Some people here assume because you are white it is ok to speak that way. The first time it happened my mouth dropped open from shock.

Please don't take this that everyone talks like this(they don't) I am just relating how some people here assume it is ok to talk about anything to anyone.

My school of thought has been if I don't know you I don't assume you share my beliefs, some here don't think that way.

There are a wide variety of people here but there is also " a good old boy" mindset that you might take issue with.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:22 PM

46 posts, read 161,391 times
We moved to Tampa three years ago, hoping for a better life after a family tradegy. We both were able to transfer with our companies. We are moving backto New Jersey at the end of the month. It was a huge mistake to move here. The pay scale is much lower and since Florida is a right to work state, your employer can basically fire you without any reason. Bias and biogrty here are subdued but alive and well. Utilities; although it is true winter is very mild here and heat is not nesscsary air conditioning is. The hot season starts in May and extends thru October. The locals call it Florida winter. We paid much more in electric for air conditioning than we ever spent for Heat in New Jersey. The educational system is one of the worst in the country. I came from one of the worst states for taxes and insurance we paid more here. I am not familar with how housing vouchers work so I can't comment on that. Child abuse is a big problem. Then there are the hurricanes, and tropical storms. Traffic is trerrible. Before moving to Tampa we hadn't had a car accident in 25 years. In the three years we have been here our truck has been hit twice, while parked at our home. Think long and hard before moving here.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 PM

15,878 posts, read 17,387,683 times
The drivers here are awful. Between the elderly who move here from other states and the poorly trained FL driver it is very bad.

And when someone hits you here there is a good chance they have no car insurance.

20 yrs in CA and no accidents, we were hit awhile back here by an elderly woman who didn't even know she crashed into us. How scary is that? As bad as a drunk driver.

When I asked about will she be evaluated the "good old boy" cop said well maybe yes and maybe no??????

This is a very reactive state, they will let her continue to drive and when she kills someone they will be like "How did this happen ?".

In most states she would be brought in for an evaluation and her license suspended until the evaluation was complete.

Here they just keep driving. You can be 85 and renew your DL over the phone.

And I agree about the air conditioning, from May to October it is on 24/7, you can't open a window and get a nice breeze. We average around $300 a month on the electric bill and we keep the house no lower than 77 degrees.

Many people especially those from the NE don't realize what they save in heating up north will be spent on air conditioning here. Being from CA we rarely had to put the heat or the AC on for than a month or two in the winter and summer.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,913 times
hey i read your post. there is an awsome place heritage pines, income ristricted down cross creek blvd in new tampa . you want to check that place out. i'm white, my husband is black and we have a toddler. we lived there and in new tampa no one bothered us. its the one place we have lived in fl and not had any issues. our income changed and we eventually left but that place was fantastic. give them a call. they are on all the rental sites. seriously you wont be disappointed. the place is massive utilities cheap you pay gas and electric and get a full size washer and dryer included, water sewer trash included as well

Old 05-07-2010, 04:00 PM

685 posts, read 1,406,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The drivers here are awful. Between the elderly who move here from other states and the poorly trained FL driver it is very bad.
I'm here exactly 1 month and I agree with the poor driving. However, my assessment is different. Most of the careless drivers are people on their Cell phones.
  • They are only using one hand and one ear; so forget about seeing someone using a blinker down here.
  • Also, they are not looking left/right for other traffic, so be prepared to get cutoff - a lot.
  • Also, they are trying to do two things at once, so they never do the speed limit.
  • Also, once they get on the highway (I4) for example, once they do realize they must stop, they JAM on their brakes and cause everyone to STOP!!

GRRrrrrrrrr!!!!!

You can't blame everything on the elderly or the tourists! The natives and the young people are just as bad, if not worse.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 520 times
I had my interview for subsidized housing in Tampa,Fl March 17,2015 how much longer until an apartment becomes available, what is the normal wait time after an your first appointment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay