U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:04 PM

30 posts, read 44,393 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am considering moving down to the Clearwater area in a month or so. Currently my salary is 50K and if I moved I would search for a new career once I'm there.

Research has proved that the cost of living in NY to Fl is twice as $$. I'm sick of the hustling around and the cold winters are getting longer and longer.

I am currently paying $1000/month for a small studio and if I moved to FL I'd be able to stay with a friend for $300/month until I'm on my feet.

Has anyone experienced a move such as this? Any opinions will help out

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 PM

623 posts, read 1,003,485 times
I live in NY city. I say go, do not even look back. I can't imagine living here much longer.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 PM

I'm just worried about how long it would take to find another job I enjoyed..You know..I got a second chance at life a few years ago and since then I look at life a bit differently..Why not live at a place that you enjoy instead of being somewhere just for the money..

Old 05-16-2009, 01:06 AM

15,878 posts, read 17,400,164 times
I think some of you posters have to be realtors who live here...LOL.

Who in this economy quits a job in one state and moves somewhere with nothing lined up.

Unless you have a year's worth of living expenses that you don't mind parting with you would have to be crazy.

While NYC is expensive, it depends on where you live but FL is not half as expensive.

That is how people get into trouble here, they think is so much cheaper.

Property taxes, homeowners insurance, car insurance not so cheap.

Keep in mind salaries are much lower here as well.

I know people down here who have taken 30 and 40% pay cuts and are struggling more then they were in their home state.

Might not be what you want to hear, but FL is losing more jobs than any other state.

I can understand wanting a change but I don't understand why someone would put themselves into a financial hole on purpose.

I would really do some research in your field and see if you find any leads. Use your friend's address on your resume and see if you get any bites.

Doesn't get much worse than see your savings dwindle away and no job in sight.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:26 AM

24,768 posts, read 20,881,479 times
That sounds like some very sound advice, if you ask me.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 PM

Default Well?

I do not have much for savings however I would be saving by paying $300/month for rent instead of $1000.

I currently live in PA and have an opportunity outside of NYC with a base of $50000,benefits and a little bonus after 2 years.

I was in a horrific accident 12 years ago and since growing older I'm beginning to view life a little differently. I beleive living in a tropical area is much mor efullfilling for the mind, body and soul than being surrounded by concrete and being stressed trying to earn more and more $$$$

I understand the gamble in moving without a job lined up but in some cases it is the way to go

Thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Well Good luck to you.

JMO, I would do research before moving and have clear communication with your friend/ new roomate.

You said you could stay there for $300 a month while you "get on your feet".

I would make sure you and your friend are on the same page as far as the arrangement.

You don't want to find out after three months and no job prospects you are not getting along with your new roomate. Being friends with someone and sharing living quarters are two different things.

FL is not a tropical paradise, again JMO but many come here thinking life is going to be perfect. At least not in this part of Florida, if you said you were moving to the Keys to retire, well that is more of a tropical paradise.

Traffic here is awful, congested, and there is plenty of concrete.

Money goes very quickly especially when it is going out and nothing is coming in.

Don't know what you do for a living, but this is a really bad market down here and salaries are much lower.

Personally the only way I would do it is if I had substantial savings to fall back on. By that I mean about 50K in savings that I didn't mind parting with.

But to each his own, good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 PM

20 posts, read 50,103 times
I moved here from Michigan and while I can't speak on the financial end, I can tell you the sun year round is awesome. The summer's are quite honestly, brutal. It is so hot and unlike up north, when the sun goes down it does NOT get cooler here. But in Michigan it was gray sky's all the time, to the point I was depressed and didn't even realize it. I'm so much happier down here for that reason.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 PM

The little things such as sunshine and the sand can be a big stress reducer to life. Financial difficulty can also be even a larger one.

Very confused as to what route to take..just got to make a decision and not look back.

Although the salary is not what it is up north, I'm sure I can be fine working in the same industry such as admissions for local schools

Thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 07:40 PM

The summers here are very brutal. Most people are inside most of the time. The only relief is storms which make it rainy and gray(so much for sunshine).

Many don't seem to know that the TBA is the lightning capital of North America.

Nothing like going to the supermarket when it is sunny and then get caught coming out with a cartful of groceries and it is thunder and lightning. You really have to plan your trips and what you do this time of year.

It is beautiful here in the winter and into the spring, but May until sometimes into November it is very hot and humid.

Most people become a prisoner of air conditioning, no different than being cooped up in a house during the winter.

FYI, the schools here are laying off left and right. They gave tenured teachers the option of a salary reduction or a layoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: