U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 53,716 times

Advertisements

Okay here is the deal guys...
I read through the threads and I am getting mixed feedback, so figured I'd start my own thread and hope to get answers. My job is transferring me from Northern New Jersey to Clearwater. I need help selecting a spot to live. Here are the parameters:
I am in my late 20's, so I need to be in an area that has a lot to do for young and single people. I don't club often, but I'd like to be able to have a selection of clubs to chose from (ie...like living 30 minutes outside of NYC), if I decided to hang out. Also, I need to be close to many chain restaurants and good places to shop (with high end stores as well). I expect to travel back to NJ and other places so I need to be close (no more than 30 minutes) to the airport. I also want to be in a diverse area. Lastly, and most importantly I need to be in a safe area that is 15 - 30 minute commute to the office in Clearwater.

Please help - I look forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:25 PM

263 posts, read 973,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjab View Post
I need help selecting a spot to live. Here are the parameters:
I am in my late 20's, so I need to be in an area that has a lot to do for young and single people. I don't club often, but I'd like to be able to have a selection of clubs to chose from (ie...like living 30 minutes outside of NYC), if I decided to hang out. Also, I need to be close to many chain restaurants and good places to shop (with high end stores as well). I expect to travel back to NJ and other places so I need to be close (no more than 30 minutes) to the airport. I also want to be in a diverse area. Lastly, and most importantly I need to be in a safe area that is 15 - 30 minute commute to the office in Clearwater.

Please help - I look forward to your responses.
If you want to be 15-30 minutes to work, make your life easier and live IN Clearwater. Traffic is a bear.

There is no escaping the chain restaurants as it seems that most chains are spawned in the Tampa Bay area. High end shopping - Macy's and Nordstrom are in the area.

Unfortunately the only thing like living 30 minutes outside of NYC is living 30 minutes out of NYC.

The upside is that there's a lot to do outdoors in the Tampa area that you could not do there - the beach and water sports are high on that list. You should be able to swim 8 months a year.

Good luck and enjoy the area!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the response

Old 05-17-2009, 07:38 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,893,512 times
Do you have any iidea of where your office will be located? If your office is located near 60 and us19 then the recommendations will be different than if you work in downtown Clearwater.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 AM

I am pretty sure that it is not near downtown. It is a factory - I just dont know if it is near 60 or US19.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:56 AM

35 posts, read 211,255 times
I would highly recommend living in South Tampa and commuting to Clearwater- it will be approx 45 minutes. But everything you are looking for is in Tampa- restaurants, nightlife, conveniences. I would look into Soho( South of Howard), Hyde Park, and even the Westshore area (mostly a business district, but you may find some good rentals).

I grew up in Clearwater and while it is a really nice place, for someone in their 20's, there is not much nightlife and you will probably find yourself driving to Tampa to eat out, shop, go to concerts, etc.

Funny, my husband and I are thinking of moving from Tampa to the Northern Jersey, Westchester area...

Old 05-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the response. There are nice parts of Northern NJ, but I would say all in all - New Jersey is frowned upon, particularly by those in NY. I don't hate it, just wanting to make a professional move, and I do want warmer weather.

What is your feeling on St. Pete? I am not sure I want to do a 45 minute commute from Tampa to Clearwater 5 days a week...(I suspect that is 45 on a good day?)

Old 05-17-2009, 12:37 PM

35 posts, read 211,255 times
St. Pete is a nice area as well, they have really redeveloped the downtown area. There are a lot of hip restaurants and bars, Baywalk is a newer outdoor entertainment area, but it has been in the paper for some crimes at and around it. I would look for housing in the NE St. PEte area. There are a lot of restored bungalows, apartments and great deals are available now.

If you are going to come down before the move, try both commutes, because I would suspect they are very similar and see which "feel" works for you.

Is there any areas you would recommend in Northern NJ? I have been investigating Nutley, Wayne...we are almost 40 professionals looking for a small town or city with good services, friendly neighbors, and of course safety.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:04 PM

Thanks again for the response. Well, I have only been in the area where I live for almost a year and I actually like it. I am in Hackensack. I am in Bergen County - before I moved here I was told that most of Bergen County is nice -and I do agree. It all depends on where you and your husband will be working. The only downside to Bergen County is that all shopping (with a few exceptions, like the grocery stores and gas stations) are closed on Sunday's.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:57 PM

263 posts, read 973,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjab View Post
Thanks for the response. There are nice parts of Northern NJ, but I would say all in all - New Jersey is frowned upon, particularly by those in NY. I don't hate it, just wanting to make a professional move, and I do want warmer weather.

What is your feeling on St. Pete? I am not sure I want to do a 45 minute commute from Tampa to Clearwater 5 days a week...(I suspect that is 45 on a good day?)
Maybe the New Yorkers just like being able to frown upon someone, ever thought of that? There are reasons why people choose to live in Jersey, and not all of them are monetary. The ugly industrial side of Jersey that everyone in the US knows from the Sopranos is not all that defines the state.

I lived in south Tampa for a couple of years, moved away and lived in St Pete for six years (left two weeks ago). I loved St Pete, but it's not exactly Nightlife Central.

Traffic is a given in the Tampa/Pinellas County area, and public transportation is not a viable option. When I lived in St Pete and commuted to Dunedin (26 miles door to door), I had a hard 45 minute drive, if nothing went wrong. For the last five years, I lived five miles from my office. I needed to allow 20 minutes (two or three school zones, stop signs, traffic lights).

If you have to make a compromise about what you want vs. a commute, consider taking a rental on the beach in Clearwater (or the Intra-coastal waterway). You might find that the seduction of the beach makes you forget about the nightlife. There's really something to be said for unwinding from a hard day at work with a swim in the Gulf or a walk on the beach with the surf lapping at your toes. And think about your bragging rights with friends up north! Everyone you've ever met is going to want to come and vacation on your couch, you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay