U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,008 times

Advertisements

Seain Dublin's post said it all - the down side is the humidity. itza killer. and the a/c is on 24/7 for at least 9 months out of the year. we have 3 temperatures down here: warm, hot & hotter than hell. Try it out on a vacation during September or if your really adventurous, July or august.

As for schools, pinellas county does have good program for special ed kids. Me, personally, i sent my daughter to catholic school for a better education in the 1980's. i've been here since 1979 - i'm used to the humidity but still hate it! And my daughter moved up north to NJ.
Jobs - if your in the health care field, it might be easier to find a job than others. Do not expect the same wages down here that u get in CA - LOL no where near it. Upside: we have no state income tax but in Pinellas sales tax is 7.5%.

If you buy a home or condo, finding house insurance is a bear. After 20 yrs, my good hands people dropped me like a hot potato. Now i'm in the state run insurance and they are gonna raise me 10% this year thanks to Gov. Charlie 'I lied" Crist. so now i'll be paying about $1580 for a 930 sq foot house. Before buying - check to see what evacuation zone you are in. In Feb 06, we had a non-hurricane 9 inch downpour. Make sure your not in a flood zone. Flooding is a big problem.

No place is a perfect paradise; i'd rather have hurricanes [ 5 day warnings] than earthquakes and land slides [ no warning]. Right now it is a buyers market. and yes we have great beaches. my personal favorite - pasa grille & the normally tranquile gulf of mexico.
good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:57 AM

5 posts, read 9,166 times
Default Love em both

My thoughts on comparison between Tampa Bay area and SD would be the availablilty of flights to other aparts of the country or Europe. I realize that San Diego has both, but the places I travel too seem much easier from Tampa. The cost of living is a killer in San Diego, but the climate just can't be beat. I am a Florida native that has lived both in Southern California and the Mid west.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:59 AM

5 posts, read 9,166 times
Do you know much about temp rentals in the Oceanside area? I might relocate there for a year and I was considering that particular area which would be close enough to my job.
Thanks.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,548 times
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback! So much to think about! I think a visit during the most humid part of the year is a smart idea. The lightning scares me though, that is a factor as well.

Burrito Manor: Oceanside tends to be a bit less then the rest of SD as it is quite a ways north of downtown and close to the marine base. You will be able to find an econmical rental there. I'd do a quick search on craigslist to get a general idea. Vista is also close to Oceanside and the base but east of the 5. West of the 5 will be pricey as it is close to the water, East of the 5 will be less expensive but less of an ocean breaze.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 PM

14 posts, read 24,171 times
I was born and raised in St Pete and now live in Clearwater. I am young 30 female and love it here. If you're looking for a laid back sifestyle I would suggest St Pete/Clearwater/Dunedin/Safety Harbor areas. I live in a 2/2 rented condo in a gated golf course community for $825/mo that I found through a realtor on Craigslist. Realtor.com also has come rentals. Tampa is better if you like a more urban lifestyle. SoHo, Hyde Park, Channelside are good for young professionals. Hope this helps!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM

191 posts, read 585,736 times
Pinellas county is expensive for a nicer newer house. I have been looking and pricing homes. I would say it takes at least 250k to get something nice there. Other counties like pasco and hillsborough are nice and less money. But now that I am ready to buy I am concerned again about crime statistics. Everytime I find nice pool homes and good prices I read about crime in the area. Why is there so much more crime in Florida than Ca. and esp. in the areas of big beautiful homes where you would think with hoa fees and such that things would be more under control.

Now I am torn again between murrieta and Raleigh and tampa.

Thoughts?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:37 AM

15,127 posts, read 31,038,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
Pinellas county is expensive for a nicer newer house. I have been looking and pricing homes. I would say it takes at least 250k to get something nice there. Other counties like pasco and hillsborough are nice and less money. But now that I am ready to buy I am concerned again about crime statistics. Everytime I find nice pool homes and good prices I read about crime in the area. Why is there so much more crime in Florida than Ca. and esp. in the areas of big beautiful homes where you would think with hoa fees and such that things would be more under control.

Now I am torn again between murrieta and Raleigh and tampa.

Thoughts?
I don't think there is more crime in Fla than CA - but possibly Florida reports more crime than they do. I have said before, you can't go by statistics, and I haven't seen a place yet that has NO crime at all. You can't make your decision by some dry statistics you read somewhere. You need to go to where you feel like it's "home." You have mentioned 3 very different cities - no one can advise you, maybe you are not really ready to make a move? Where are you now, and why are you moving? That might give us some insight.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,482,806 times
For the person that may get temporarily relocated to Oceanside:
I'd suggest checking out Carlsbad or Encinitas as well. And, you can still find short-term rental situations without having to go to one of those specialized short-term housing complexes. Just look at craigslist or sdrentals sites. There are many month-month options at affordable prices.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 30,367 times
I am torn between the same two cities!

I would prefer Tampa because of the availability to the gulf and the waterways, Plus I really really love the terrain of central FL. However, San Diego would be easy for me to keep my job with the same company and just transfer. The expenses of living in SD seem outrageous, but it seems most residents seem to feel it is worth it.

Someone on here said that Tampa and SD are like 'twin cities". I have read that is absolutely not true....at least as far as terrain and landscape is concerned.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 PM

191 posts, read 585,736 times
Your right. San Diego is the 6th largest city and one of the safest. Also we have many mountains and valleys. We have a more educated population and some of the best medical care and univercities. But I suppose both are hot at times. san Diego has a much better climate. Its dry never humid. They both face left....lol.........I mean the west. The water here is colder. the cost of living is 2-3 times higher. Its much more spread out in florida and you get more land for the money. Here its very dense in population and you get barely any land. Both are good for air travel out of the country. we dont have alligators here or lanks and ponds and canals every 3 miles. But we do have coyotes and snakes and a HOT dessert. Our sand is not as soft and white as sw florida. Florida has great shells. We both have Disney............land and world..... we both have a seaworld. We both have lots of natural beauty. We have big waves and hot young guys. I suspect tampa does too. we are very liberal in some ways........prop 8......and conservative in others...........big Navy town. I dont know where Tampa stand on liberal issues. You have more homes with pools and definatley nicer homes for the money. we have great homes too (if your rich). we have lots of renters and students. Not sure about Tampa.

Why am I moving. Because I can't afford to buy a house here.

175k here gets me a 1-2 bdrm condo built in 1975 with 1200sq ft if I am lucky.
There I can get a big new home with a pool.

I love it here but I dont think its worth continuing to pay rent the rest of my life and I need a bigger place. So yes its all a compromise. I am very ready to move. I just want to make the RIGHT move.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or