U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,107,765 times

Advertisements

Blue crabs are more trouble than they are worth to actually eat. Kind of like bay scallops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,010 times
i have to disagree with alot of the posts about blue crab being hard to find, we used to catch them with chicken and a net along the sea wall the runs along river front park. you can also catch them in the grassy flats at fort desoto. tons of them

Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 PM

1,015 posts, read 3,008,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Blue crabs are more trouble than they are worth to actually eat. Kind of like bay scallops.
This is true... only 17% of a blue crab is edible (a dungy goes up to 30%), but, when you clean them and extract the meat just smash up everything else (minus the lungs, etc.) literally with a hammer and simmer for a few hours for great crab/fish stock. Strain it. This can be frozen for your next gumbo etc. recipe.

I still stick to Bullfrog creek at 41... picked up two 5 gallon buckets a couple of months ago for a couple of hours of "work". Catch total was 28.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,388 times
Live blue crabs are being sold at MD Oriental in Tampa, along Fowler Blvd. I believe it is $3.99 per lbs. They also have Dungeness crabs but are expensive. Of course, they carry live lobster and array of fishes in a tank.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM

20,061 posts, read 12,033,509 times
Used to crab in Jacksonville,, big hit by the elec company near Little Talbolt Is. havent tried here, but maybe one day.. love doing it. I love fishing as well,

Old 10-31-2014, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times
I remember a time yrs ago my dad would take us across gandy blvd bridge from Tampa to St Pete area. Once in that area, the bay would come into flats along the interstate. He would park off the road and at low tide we would toss a few lines with chicken necks and secure to ground with wooden sticks. While waiting for lines to tighten up, we would walk in about 12 in or so and see large crabs all over the place. OMG I wish someone might remember aprx what area this might be because I would drive from Ft Lauderdale and get some blue crabs. We would fill a trash can in no time. Beauties. I remember we also wore sneakers and slide or feet rather than step because there were also alot of horseshoe crabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay