Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 09:35 AM

10 posts, read 31,153 times

Advertisements

So...after looking through all the posts it seems like St. Petersburg is a pretty good place to live. My fiance and I are moving to Tampa and are trying to figure out where to buy our house. We are moving from Chicago, so we enjoy having stuff around us. However, we would like to start a family within the next couple of years, so would like a safe place that is family oriented as well. My fiance will be working right near the airport, so I guess the commute won't be too bad (compared to Chicago traffic). But I wanted to ask for opinions on whether St. Pete would be a good place to raise a family? We are looking to spend about $300k - $350k on a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM

428 posts, read 1,468,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMove81 View Post
So...after looking through all the posts it seems like St. Petersburg is a pretty good place to live. My fiance and I are moving to Tampa and are trying to figure out where to buy our house. We are moving from Chicago, so we enjoy having stuff around us. However, we would like to start a family within the next couple of years, so would like a safe place that is family oriented as well. My fiance will be working right near the airport, so I guess the commute won't be too bad (compared to Chicago traffic). But I wanted to ask for opinions on whether St. Pete would be a good place to raise a family? We are looking to spend about $300k - $350k on a home.
St. Pete- most swaths of it, is a great place to raise a family IMO_ I am raising mine here. It was voted one of the best cities for kids a couple years back- lots to do, loads of summer programs as well. I can't commenton public schools (kids go to private), but St. Pete High and Lakewood High are well-regarded.

I live in west St. Pete and commute to north Tampa. The drive time to the airport is about 20 minutes. That's from west St. Pete- time is less from northeast and the Gandy area- both good places to look for a house.

Stay away from the south side between 1st Ave S to 54th Ave S, 4th St to 49th St. (save for Maximo Moorings area).

Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 AM

35 posts, read 86,831 times
Hey Angler, do you have an idea of the commute time from west St. Pete to MacDill AFB? Also, are there any zip codes you can recommend for a housing search?

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 AM

428 posts, read 1,468,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabonds View Post
Hey Angler, do you have an idea of the commute time from west St. Pete to MacDill AFB? Also, are there any zip codes you can recommend for a housing search?

Thanks.
Depends on where in west St. Pete, but I'd say around 30/40 minutes- give or take.

on zips- west side:

33707 (melds into Gulfport and SOuth Pasadena- some not so great areas, some beautiful)

east:

33701 (downtown)
33716 (Feathersound- unincorporated county)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay