Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times

Advertisements

I'd be more concerned with attorneys and used car salesmen.

However, it is important to know that blood and urine attract sharks. As others have said, you're in their home and the sunrise/sunset time of day is one to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM

154 posts, read 533,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
I'd be more concerned with attorneys and used car salesmen.
I thought exactly the same. However, they also have these in Ohio and and the OP might know how to deal with them.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaOrNotTampa View Post
I thought exactly the same. However, they also have these in Ohio and and the OP might know how to deal with them.
Yeah, you're right. Probably not real helpful info but still - whatever pops into my head is what all of you get. Sorry to my relatives and friends that are in that profession. What was I thinking? Guess not much.

Anyway, sharks: not a biggie if you use common sense.

To the OP - AND back on topic: the only silly northerners are the ones that move to FL and then bit*h about it.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 06-17-2009 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: To the OP - AND back on topic: the only silly northerners are the ones that move to FL and then bit*h about it.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Having sailed in that area for years on a HobieCat, I have never seen a shark in that area and we sailed there at least once a week during the summer for over 10 years. Not to say they aren't there but it is just rare to see a shark maybe they are there in the winter when the water is colder. I have seen many many dolphins though.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:20 PM

96 posts, read 736,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Having sailed in that area for years on a HobieCat, I have never seen a shark in that area and we sailed there at least once a week during the summer for over 10 years. Not to say they aren't there but it is just rare to see a shark maybe they are there in the winter when the water is colder. I have seen many many dolphins though.
I bet that sailing a Hobie Cat through that area was great fun. Do you have your own Hobie Cat or did you rent for your many trips? I ask because that certainly sounds like something I'd be interested in doing someday, sharks or no sharks . . .

Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 PM

44 posts, read 146,199 times
Well my husband has to work with Attorneys and well, my uncle is a used cars salesman so I guess if we can endure that pain then we should be A-Okay!

As far as sharks not being in that area often- we were there in February so maybe that was the case. Certainly were not dolphins. This was confirmed even more so when other kayakers (an older couple and their college age daughter) decided they were going to investigate one of the sharks even closer. (We however went to the island shore as quickly as possible lol) From our view the dorsal fin started getting closer and closer to the daughter and by her reaction, it was nooo dolphin! That is when right behind us (just a couple feet away) we encounted the second shark, fairly large. So I don't know. The tide was low and we decided to wait a good 45 minutes before we headed out again... we just watched the two sharks slowly make their way elsewhere. Then we had to buzz the 15 minutes back to the main shore. My husband wanted to stick together and mapped out an elaborate plan across the more shallow waters... Poor Fella', I just took off with a straight shot as quickly as I could lol! He still likes to call me out on it. It was a lot of fun. Great experience!! I'm sure our reactions will be different as time goes by when we live there.

I think its pretty funny, when I tell this to people up here they are noticably freaked out, but I imagine such stories aren't so crazy in FL. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I wasn't overly concerned but, it does ease my mind even more. If we didn't have that experience I probably wouldn't have looked into it AT ALL which would have been no good. Plus I have better ways to explain to my daughter now so thanks!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
I bet that sailing a Hobie Cat through that area was great fun. Do you have your own Hobie Cat or did you rent for your many trips? I ask because that certainly sounds like something I'd be interested in doing someday, sharks or no sharks . . .
We had our own boats. They are a lot of fun and you don't have to pay for gas and very little upkeep on a Hobie.. except you might have to find a place to park it depending on where you live. You need to know how to sail one. but check on Dunedin Beach if they are no longer renting them there may be someone looking for a sailing partner. Just offer to help them when they are taking their boat off the trailer or putting up the mast.. Ask questions.. someone will offer to give you a ride

Many ppl camp on the spoil islands near Caladesi over the weekend during summer using their hobies or Kayaks.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 990 times
Smile Days Gone By, I lived in the area in the 80's

I lived in Palm Harbor for most of my teen years. This was in the late 70's &'80's. Dunedin Causeway was just that, and Dog Beach, was Honeymoon Island. It was bare beach with pine trees. We fished and swam in these waters. We caught ocean trout, and an array of other fish. My friends threw out nets to catch mullet to use as bait. If we went to Dunedin's Fire Dept we could get a Pass to have a campfire on the causeway so we could stay out all night and Shark Fish. The guys used rabbit blood along with the mullet. They'd row a small boat out from the causeway, and drop the lines. They had caught Hammerhead Sharks on a few occasions. One being 6 feet. It took hours, and was funny how the guys went from fighting to have the reel, to passing it off to one another as hours went by. Also back then, News 10 had done a story on Hurricane Pass. An aerial view of the deep water, showed the people on the beach side swimming, and circled the Sharks in the deep straight. At the time there used to be Hobie Cat rentals out there too! We waded out into the water onto sandbars for oysters. In all my years playing in and around these waters, I can't recall anyone ever being bit by sharks. They are there, but never became a problem. I stubbed my toe into an oyster bed. I was cut up pretty badly, but no sharks came. My friends still insisted on carrying me out of the waist deep water fast! Still have the scars. I miss the crazy days of my youth, growing up on those Islands, back when it was less populated, and less famous. I had the best days at Dog Beach playing Frisbee with my dog Jessie. I'd dig a hole under my beach chair for her to get out of the sun. I had an encounter when wading on the North side of Dog Beach. I waded out around the Mangroves, I was waist deep in the water, when a Mullet jumped out of the water, about 10 feet away from me. What scared me and made me tread water, was the Dolphin that jumped after the Mullet! I was scared, I saw BIG....GREY...FIN... lol.. I ran to the beach, and people there were laughing, saying it was a Dolphin! I just wanted out of the water and fast. Best part at the end of each day, was the Tastee Freeze at the Causeway &'intersection and Alt 19. Is it still there?

Old 06-09-2015, 05:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidyedsunriselz View Post
I know the shark attack statistics for Pinellas County are very low. I believe 11 since 1882? Which is excellent to know. I do have a couple questions however.

We are moving to Dunedin in a week and half. (Very thrilled!) Anyhow, when my husband and I were there in February we kayaked to Caladesi Island. As we were tooling around the island, we did encounter 2 sharks, very very very close to us. (Quite an adrenaline rush since we just do not have them in Ohio.)

I figure this is a common occurence but I was wondering is there a better time to be in the water? My husband lived in Hawaii and said its best not to be in at sunset and sunrise. (Plus he was 100 percent positive these were not dolphins and were in fact sharks.) This was the middle of the day (1 or 2 pm) and we figured they were feeding? One was very large for sure and attacked some little creature right behind us in our kayaks!!

We have a 6 year old daughter and are very excited to visit Caladesi Island with hopes of swimming as much as possible. She is pretty scared now, and I can't help but be a little nervous too. Any insight would be fantastic. I feel silly for even asking, but in all honesty I am quite ignorant when it comes to sharks in Florida! Thanks.
Are you sure those weren't dolphins? Lived here 9 years now and have not seen 1 shark?!

Old 06-09-2015, 07:54 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Jellyfish, actually Portuguese Man O War were much worse on the Gold Coast, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Hammerheads are really creepy looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay