Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM

508 posts, read 1,107,294 times

Advertisements

This has to be one of the most negative threads I've ever read. It's like a houseparty where all you need is cheese to go with your wine. Perk up people. With attitudes like these, you're sure to find the dark side of the moon no matter where you reside. Life is not about obtaining money or personal possessions no matter how easy you think it helps makes things.

Florida is suffering right now, there's not a City Data reader who will beg to differ. And the people of Florida are the ones suffering, no doubt... but you can't sit here and find the downside to every single consideration in your own life while taunting your fellow citizens to leave in a mass Exodus only to prove a point! What would that accomplish? Would you rather the rest of the country pay for the nearsightedness of this mentality if Florida were to fall prey to utter poverty? Honestly, would any of us be able to escape the massive funding required to support your option? Would families and visitors and all outside investors choose to arrive here any longer only to find the state has dried up and lost it's charm? If you're not happy then you need to look beyond the outside around you. Self worth is the true issue to foster here... Search more feverently for values that are favorable. I pray that the positiveness I hold for my own life is far more contagious though I'm sure you would rather I not post this opinion at all. It is rather shocking to hear the utter discontempt that is being pontificated among you, oh and you you may want to simply try a different career sometime too, hmm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 PM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
Cameralens, like you mentioned in an earlier post, I'd head to Charlotte man. Big city with high crime, but it's no different than Tampa as far as that goes. Friendlier people in CLT, higher pay, and not so hot all the time too.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Zara zote, FL regardless of the US economy is known for low salaries. The OP would be better off looking out of state.

Charlotte is a great city and is listed as one of the up and coming US cities, Tampa is not.

Tampa is known as call center central. People who have educations are better off looking outside of FL, this state is known for being a service industry state.

When you take the time, energy, and expense to get a four year degree you want a salary that reflects that effort.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 AM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
I agree^^^. CLT has it all, yes, high crime too, but proabably not as bad as Tampa - and Charlotte is bigger too. Better pay, lots of Floridians up there, real Floridians who just want a better quality of life, big lakes in the area too, young crowd, lots of college degree'd adults and far less transients than Tampa.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I have family and good friends living in Charlotte that would disagree. The pay is not better and unemployment is also rising. Many who packed up and moved to Charlotte without researching first now find themselves in very unfortunate positions. If you disagree with what I'm saying, jump over to the Charlotte forum and do a little reading.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 07-16-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM

877 posts, read 1,911,777 times
We moved here from Charlotte. My husband actually got a raise when we came and he is a CPA. Charlotte is great too but I don't think jobs are at an overabundance. The banking industry is the largest employer and it is not doing that great right now. There are a lot of people competing for a few good paying jobs. Definitely have a job lined up before you move.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 13,439 times
I'm 22 just graduated w/ my undergrad and have a job lined up w/ one of the big 4 making $51k (FIRST ACCOUNTING JOB) but i wont start until i get my masters (a year from now). i dont see how you guys are saying the pay is so low and have such negative views on everything lol.

My gpa is nothing special, just keep looking around and you'll find something. Also, raises in the accounting field are huge, when you say you know an accountant somewhere making "this" you should say their years experience b/c several people I've talked to say they got double digit raises every year.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 AM

154 posts, read 533,685 times
I completely agree with Zara, this thread is extremely negative and shows only a very distorted view of Tampa employment and salaries.
Not everything is that black. There are good jobs in Tampa, but I suppose that people holding these don't come to this forum to talk about it. I am considering moving to Tampa from NYC with a significant increase in salary, for example.
As for Charlotte vs. Tampa. Please look at the last statistics from the government (Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area). May 2009, Tampa unemployment was 10.6 % (and rising) and Charlotte was 12% (and rising faster). Moving to Charlotte might not be the brightest move at the moment.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaOrNotTampa View Post
I completely agree with Zara, this thread is extremely negative and shows only a very distorted view of Tampa employment and salaries.
Not everything is that black. There are good jobs in Tampa, but I suppose that people holding these don't come to this forum to talk about it. I am considering moving to Tampa from NYC with a significant increase in salary, for example.
As for Charlotte vs. Tampa. Please look at the last statistics from the government (Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area). May 2009, Tampa unemployment was 10.6 % (and rising) and Charlotte was 12% (and rising faster). Moving to Charlotte might not be the brightest move at the moment.
Thank you for that. Tried to give you rep points, but couldn't just yet.

To ScientificalMadness - I can appreciate the fact that you love NC more than Florida, but you make statements as thought they are facts, when really it is only YOUR preference and opinion. I feel the opposite of you, I love Florida and it's diversity and everything else over NC, but that is only my preference. What is true for you may not be true for others here, especially if they are asking about Florida on a Florida forum. Maybe you should be touting NC virtues on the NC forum?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 AM

190 posts, read 650,134 times
i have to say, maybe it's just me, but i make more money here in florida then i ever did working in new england, which is where im from. but i do see many other people claim they make way less here.

i notice there are many more high / low class people here in tampa, which there isn't much middle class citizens. i guess it makes sense. seeing how high class citizens own the businesses, and the lower class are the worker bees making peanuts. it's just greedyness.

my boss says he was a hard worker making less then he should have until he opened his business. he says he doesn't want to do that to his employees. so im guessing i got lucky with my job. not everyone in my field is making what they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay