U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,260,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I don't think of it too much as "the South" until I see stories like this:

Red pickup truck's shotgun-wielding passenger attacks three cars - St. Petersburg Times

No offense to Southerners - I know you're not all rednecks and I love the South. But this a distinctly Southern thing, for sure.

And then there's this:

Video | tampabay.com - St. Petersburg Times and tbt*
I'm not sure how that is southern. There is no difference between that and a gang member doing the same thing. Taking one example really doesn't prove anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 PM

552 posts, read 445,813 times
^^^ Yea, that's true. Just b/c they were driving a truck doesnt mean that they are "Florida rednecks."

Old 07-09-2009, 07:43 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,851,698 times
Have you ever lived out west? Pickups and guns are everywhere, it isn't a southern thing to drive a pickup truck.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 PM

35 posts, read 151,723 times
Ha!
Alright - that Confederate Flag is flown by one small group of people and misrepresents Tampa to all those who pass. It is more than infuriating.

Secondly, I cant find a RAYS fan due to all these transplants! Every house on my street seems to be represented by someplace else (Boston, Atlanta, New York and Houston to name just a few). Tampa is unique in that the people are from everywhere. It depends of course on where you live and work, but in my job I was one of only 3 people from the south (not even just Tampa) out of 27 people. If not from here, you'll fit in (much) better than if you are from the south. As, even my termination was due to not having the "aggressive mentality" they were looking for.

Politically - nope, it's liberal. Actually, it flips back and forth which is kind of nice. You feel your vote counts. It's certainly not right winged ... even when the state turns red that year.

Culturally - nope, it's curt (-er than most southern areas). People generally don't have a conversation with the check-out kid or the waitress. Things move fairly quickly compared to say, Macon, GA.

Socially - yeah, i'd say southern turned on it's head, we have a diversity here that most northern states don't, and that most southern states do. There are a lot of mixed race families. There was just an article in the Tampa Tribune about there being.. I want to say over 130 languages spoken in our public school system. I have known three families now that have moved away (one Bolivian, one Dominican and one (white) Hispanic Catholic) and have moved back because they felt more predjudice there (the first two in New England, the 3rd in Tennessee) than here.

Industrially, - Is there any idustry in the North anymore? Yeah, we're southern. citrus, strawberries and service industries.

We are not southern ... which can make life a little difficult for the 1/10 of us natives wanting to slow down or slip and say aint every now and then. But, on the other hand, I love the cultural diversity and the higher education levels the influx of outsiders has brought us. Now, if they could only learn to make eye contact and say hello - that would be nice. Or, talk .. just to talk with no debate or point to it...just to talk and for heaven's sake take it easy every now and then!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 AM

34 posts, read 77,559 times
if you guys honestly think florida is "the south", especially southern and central florida only 3 things are possible.

1.) You have never visited the metro area (most 'rednecks' will be in smaller towns/lower income agricultural areas away from tampa proper).

2.) You are from an area of the US that does not have a 'southern culture' and thereby have an EXTREMELY loose definition of what makes someone a "hick."

3.) You ran into one mindless idiot at a gas station and chose to use that one experience to generalize a city/metro area of over a million people.

What you would consider "south" is mostly confined in Northern Florida due to its proximity to other Southern states. To insinuate anything otherwise is uninformed and a bit foolish.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 PM

427 posts, read 972,963 times
It wouldn't appeal to them for one big reason, they couldn't afford to live in those cities anyway. Florida is a much friendlier place for a southerner. There are plenty of lawns and pools to keep them gainfully employed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I daresay that, in general, New York, Boston or San Francisco wouldn't appeal to more rural people, either. Hence the choice to stay in Millersport, OH, or Olanta, SC in the first place.
As for the ones who leave their small towns...well, generally they're searching for readily available jobs, which these days would preclude Tampa altogether.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM

427 posts, read 972,963 times
I sure can't tell the difference. It all sounds like Deliverance to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
You'd be amazed at the people who, for example, can't tell the difference between various Southern accents (or perhaps not).

Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 AM

494 posts, read 1,417,322 times
I submit you're all wrong. Tampa Bay is bi-cultural. Thanksgiving to Easter it takes on the characteristics of NY and Michigan. Clearly that is not southern. Just try parking at Walmart or driving the speed limit.

The rest of the year it reverts to it's normal culture, providing the DOT has maintained I-75 in a good enough state of repair to facilitate the post Easter exodus.

And who even cares about Miami? Is that still part of Florida?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 AM

210 posts, read 568,031 times
Here are just a few Southern things come to mind about Tampa...The Confederate cannons on the University of Tampa's campus that guard against another Yankee gun-boat attack, Tampa native Mel Tillis, The Confederate Monument in front of the Hillsborough County Courthourse, Egmont Key light which was commssioned by Gen. Robert E. Lee prior to the War Between the States, The Hookers, Lesleys, Hendersons, Jacksons, McKays, Swanns and other old Southern families that founded this town...Confederate Fort Brooke, Old Orange Grove Hotel where Sidney Lanier, Poet Lauret of the South Wrote "Mocking-Bird" and other famous Southern poems, the largest Battle Flag flying in the world, more live oak trees per square mile than any other city in the Southern U.S., lots of gray moss, The Colonade Restruant, Palma Ceia Country Club, Tampa Yacht Club, Krew of Venus and Ye Mystic Krews of Gasparilla, Beach Park, Culbreath Bayou, Hyde Park, Interbay, Most of South Tampa, Robert E. Lee Elementery, Seminiole HIghts, Jimbos BBQ, Allessis Bakery, Stump's, Farm Stores..love these you just drive up for your beer only seen this in Mississippi, First Baptist Church dowttown one of the oldest and largest in the city, Bayshore Baptist packed sanctuary on any given Sunday, a football game between Plant High School and Dixie-Hollins, smoked mullett and cheese grits, old cement block lake houses in Odessa, taling to folks so old they remember their parents telling them how the mayor and some buisnessmen decided to bring the cigar industry to Tampa...along with it hundreds of workers to work in the factories from Cuba..how they would even build a seperate area for thier town and for them to live Ybor City, Beach Park Women's Club, Junior League, Merrymakers, Olf Tampa Gun Club, Dixie Duck Hunters, all these mockinbirds, this humidity thats thick as redeye gravy, a thriving cotton plantation economy prior to the War, every commisioner from tampa from this Florida county voted for sucession (unlike pensacola and jacksonville), a lot of great northern soul came out of the black communities during the 60s, unfortunatly integration was not peacful in tampa and books were written about race riots and lynchings (ugly part of Southern history).

Old 04-06-2011, 05:22 AM

5 posts, read 6,119 times
The southern part of Florida is not confined to North Florida at all. The coasts and the big cities are not southern, the rest definitely is... I lived in the I-4 corridor for 18 years, and the main activities were hunting, fishing, and taking your truck to the mud pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or