Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
The state of Florida is very lax about giving drivers licenses. Anyone can get one. It seems all you need is a pulse. Broken tailights and signals (no one uses them anyways) don't worry about it. And the streetlights don't mean a thing. "Just do whatever you feel like"
Too bad, you are right and when they change the law it feels they go after the people who didn't do anything wrong in the first place and people who end up in traffic court get off so easily...Just go and sit and watch...it is ridiculous how easy it is to get out of there with hardly anyhing done....

After a DUI the judge will ask "do you need your car for your work"...if answered "yes"...nothing will be done and the person is back on the road and doing it over and over...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 AM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
Quote:
The state of Florida is very lax about giving drivers licenses. Anyone can get one. It seems all you need is a pulse. Broken tailights and signals (no one uses them anyways) don't worry about it. And the streetlights don't mean a thing. "Just do whatever you feel like"

^^^ When you have soooo many people that move to FL with this mentality, this is what we're gonna get.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
I hope it works, but I have a feeling that the type of person who deliberately runs a red light also ignores citations and keeps driving on a suspended license too.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 PM

296 posts, read 644,371 times
I see cars running red lights, four or five cars deep sometimes in the turning lanes, but I dont know if I totally agree with the cameras or not, seems a little big brotherish.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Orlando Miracle, that is exactly what they do. And that goes for when they get a ticket for no car insurance.

Which is why 40% here drive with no car insurance. There is no incentive to get insurance because they don't impound cars.

DL gets suspended, they keep driving.

In most states your car is impounded when drive drunk, have no DL, and no insurance. Here they leave them on the side of the road if an arrest is made.

It is a joke.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
There is no other means of getting from point A to B in the majority of Florida without driving. Yet it has several large Metro areas and is one of the most populous states. People may say that doesn't matter that it has nothing to do with people running red lights. Well it does, because there is just way to much time spent in a vehicle without any other options. That and the fact Driver licenses and testing need to be modified. Actually though it has nothing to do with running lights, vehicles should be inspected in Florida and its ridiculous they are not. When people have no other means than the car, especially in a state like Florida (people from everywhere) you get bad driving habits. The fact people are from everywhere should be a signal to have a proper Driver Exam and again Vehicle inspection to bring some safety habits to that state.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
No kidding, you see rustbuckets with bald tires going down the roads here. How dumb is it not to have a state inspection? In addition to the money it brings in, it would also create jobs.

Sorry Jimrob1, I have to disagree on the people being from everywhere statement, we are from CA which like FL has many transplants. The difference is CA believes in road safety.

You must have car insurance, if you let it lapse the DMV is notified. If you get stopped your car is impounded.

Anything goes here, no DL, no insurance, no registration....they still drive. There is no incentive here to play by the rules because all they get is a ticket and they don't pay them.

It is the lax FL laws that creates the dangers on roads here.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Florida does not have poorly trained drivers. Maybe some lousy drivers, but poorly trained? Where is the statisic on Tampa Bay leading the nation in deadly crashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry Scientific Madness, but FL has very poorly trained drivers. Look at the teens here , Tampa Bay leads the nation in deadly teen crashes.

Lived in CA for 20 years and you would be hard pressed to find any natives in that state, yet you don't see the amount of poor drivers like you do here. They are much better drivers.

40 percent with no insurance? Where did you get that statistic?

Please provide documentation as to your allegations which are wild and without merit.

For one thing you don't get away with much in CA on the roads. The "stunts" I have seen pulled down here on the roads wouldn't fly in CA.

A driving test here doesn't even involve driving in the street. Someone who grew up here told me that back in the 70's all a teen needed was a note from their parent and they got a driver's permit.

Today a road test here consists of going around a couple of orange cones in a parking lot. And I never seen so much tailgating as there is here.

Between the really old here and the really young, driving in FL is a nightmare.

And 40% here drive with no car insurance.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:37 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
Have to agree w/Seain ..CA and FL both have thousands of ppl from other states living there and while you will see some crazy stuff on the roads back in CA. so often, ive seen some pretty off the wall drivers in the week i have been here in Florida...and totally believe that if the laws were updated..which they should have been years back..people would get the hint..or go broke..plain and simlpe..

If you choose to place other people's lives in jepordy due to your irresponsibility, walk to work...i could care less..at least you aren't a threat to my safety...When you finally get the hint, then you can join the rest of responsible society...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:38 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,599 times
Quote:
Yep. New state slogan of FL: "Just do whatever you feel like!"

On a daily basis I'm driving behind someone with a broken tail light (or both for that matter) and/or stinky exhaust that makes me want to barf. Hope none of you have to commute via 49th street or Starkey. Some of the worst drivers you'll ever encounter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay