U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,208,352 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong, but I thought that the state passed some sort of law that forbids local governments from banning cellphone usage in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:57 PM

27 posts, read 82,366 times
I have another question for you all! My girlfriend and I are moving and both will have out of state license plates/ insurance, ect.. I have done a bunch of research on the dmv websites and such but was wondering if anybody could put it in more simple terms of how the process works... maybe someone who has recently done it. I have gathered info that makes it seem once you live/ start working in FL they want you to have their license and plate and insurance within 10 days? No links to dmv site or any state website that makes it wordy and confusing....! we visited over the weekend, and loved everything... found a nice apartment in clearwater, and cannot wait to arrive in august!!! thanks for any info!!!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 PM

190 posts, read 419,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
New prices on car registration/title, renewals go into effect Sept. 1st. I'm renewing my tags for two years, to avoid the increase which will save me $$$ those coming into the state will pay over $350.00 to register their vehicles.

Vanity plates will also go up.
I paid almost $400 today. The clerk was afraid to mention the price. It took me about 30 minutes to complete the transaction after sitting down with the clerk. It felt like I was buying a car. Luckily, I could afford to pay--but just barely. I can not imagine the hardship this would create for someone on a fixed or low income. SHAME on FL legislators for enacting such outrageous fees!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:35 PM

6,975 posts, read 12,504,449 times
Alot of states have greatly increased their fees recently. I wouldn't be suprised if part of your high registration fee, didn't include a first time registration fee on top of the regular registration costs.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:10 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,871,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Alot of states have greatly increased their fees recently. I wouldn't be suprised if part of your high registration fee, didn't include a first time registration fee on top of the regular registration costs.
I would agree. I just got the renewal notice in the mail for my 2008 BMW. it was only $128. I dont know if it is done by valuation of vehicle, but the car was $60K when I got it new last year. $128 seems rather reasonable when it is put into that perspective.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:48 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,056,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
I paid almost $400 today. The clerk was afraid to mention the price. It took me about 30 minutes to complete the transaction after sitting down with the clerk. It felt like I was buying a car. Luckily, I could afford to pay--but just barely. I can not imagine the hardship this would create for someone on a fixed or low income. SHAME on FL legislators for enacting such outrageous fees!
However, we don't have income tax! They have to make up those losses someway, by nickle and dimming us.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:26 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,624,274 times
The tag and license fees just went up. Your insurance will be almost double what it is in PA. We lived there for 8 years and moved back to PA. You'll find the only thing that is great is the weather. The cost of living there has gone sky-high compared to what it was, traffic is bad, as well as crime. Do miss the weather!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:16 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,871,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
The tag and license fees just went up. Your insurance will be almost double what it is in PA. We lived there for 8 years and moved back to PA. You'll find the only thing that is great is the weather. The cost of living there has gone sky-high compared to what it was, traffic is bad, as well as crime. Do miss the weather!
eh, my insurance going from $72 a month in GA to $126 a month in FL is a small price to pay for the quality of life.

and to the people that think the crime here is bad, have you ever seen someone get stabbed? Ever have to hit the floor in a decent neighborhood because of a drive by? I have.... ever seen anyone get run over during an argument? I have... Guess what? Crime is bad, and Tampa is NOT all that bad. Try living in "beautiful" Savannah, GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay