Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 9,194 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I currently reside in Northern PA and have the chance to relocate to Tampa in 4 weeks with my company. I also have an opportunity to accept a position here in the North as well.
I currently work in the healthcare field helping nurses achieve their degrees. I imagine there has to be many nursing opportunities in the Tampa area. I would not be working as a nurse but helping them out with their education. This position offers a very small base with no benefits however the bonus structure is very well and I can't see it being very difficult to find nurses who want to finish their degrees.

The PA position offers a larger salary, benefits as well as a bonus structure. The downfall is that it requires longer hours and a bit more work.

As I stated, I currently work in the healthcare position offering me a relocation to Tampa and do pretty well with the bonus structure so I can't see Florida being harder to recruit nursing students.

I enjoy the Summer and Fall season up her however I hate the long winters. I don't mind driving 30 mins to a beach on the weekends and I also would like to learn how to kite surf. It just seems that there is so many more activities to do outside and involving water.

Single 28 male moving to Tampa does not seem so bad afterall

Thanks

Last edited by brody6785; 07-21-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:21 PM

15 posts, read 47,023 times
Irritating winters is a reason I just took a vacation/scouting trip to Tampa-St. Pete. With the older population of Florida, the nursing field seems to be in a constant boom so I really can't imagine your having difficulties in this area although a more definitive word on this would be from Tampa-St. Pete residents themselves. In browsing hospital websites and so forth, clearly there are numerous opportunities down there, even in the current economy.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:39 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I think there would be a lot of opportunity for you here based on your post. Due to the economy I think there would be a lot of nurses wanting to get their degrees, since health care is one of the few areas where people have a chance at getting a job.

Also, plenty of stuff for a 28 y.o. male to do here. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Thank You
That's what I'm thinking

Last edited by brody6785; 07-21-2009 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 05:33 PM

75 posts, read 320,617 times
Your job should go fine here. However, you will miss the 4 seasons. It feels like summer time here about 9 months of the year, and it gets very hot.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Yeah I know I will miss 3 of the seasons however I love warm weather and am looking forward to it.

Thanks for your response.

I help nurses to achieve a higher level of their nursing degree. I don't see FL falling short of nurses who want to climb up the ladder

Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 AM

35 posts, read 87,030 times
Are you sure you want to be without benefits??

Old 07-24-2009, 12:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Are you an RN yourself and can go back into nursing if this postion doesn't work out?

Is there a quota you have to meet and have you done research to see if you can survive on the base pay here?

FL is known for low salaries and is also a "right to work state", to be honest it is pretty bad that a company that deals in recruiting nursing students offers no benefits to it's employees.

I realize you are 28 but as another poster said are you sure you want to go without benefits?

I can see your attraction to the water and trying new things, however if you are living hand to mouth and are under pressure to meet a quota in order to get a bonus you might find yourself in a bad spot.

You don't really have much time but I would research cost of living, what you have in savings, check out your car insurance(you may see an increase) and see if you can get by on the base pay.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 PM

Well..There is no base pay for the Tampa position..It's all commission and no benefits. I know I could make over $60/yr there because I am doing it in PA. I have a job offer though in PA that has a $50/yr base+benefits+bonuses+salary increases over time.

It's a gamble and a tough decision. There seem to be plenty of more activities to do in Fl and more people as well.

No, I am not an RN

Thanks

Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Be no question for me, I'd take the PA job, even though PA has crappy weather.
Why? check out how much medical insurance will cost you to purchase privately.
Your 28? No 401K? you may think you're real young, but trust me, you need to have
401K benefits, pension, something.

Making a living on commission only, is great great pressure. Do you want to do that to yourself?
Perhaps you can find a job in Florida, using your skills, and get a job with benefits.

As someone who's worked for 40 years straight, thank God, I had pension and thank God I started a 401K as well. When was in my 20 and 30's that stuff really meant nothing to me. But now that I'm getting closer to retiring? Dang straight it's important. 60 grand a year is ok, but when you add on housing costs, insurance, vehicle costs, and everyday living costs such as utilities, food etc, will you really have enough left over to save? to buy private medical insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay