Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
i love everyones opinion of tampa on here. If you live by raymond james, you'll have 3 headed rape monsters attacking your family. if you live by busch gardens, you will have rabid rape zombies trying to rape and eat your family.

I can see raymond james from my parking garage where i live and i am not worried about the crime. there are some iffy neigborhoods near my place, but you'll have that anywhere in the city limits. from my living room i can see the hilton, international plaza, those 3 really nice office buildings on boyscout, ocean prime, and the airport. I regularly walk to bay street on friday and saturday night. I hardly fear for my life.

There are nice neighborhoods by busch gardens too.

I have decided that the city-data tampa bay forums should be renamed to www.city-data/doom-and-gloom.com (http://www.city-data/doom-and-gloom.com - broken link)

Hey I'm just wondering how it is around these areas. My cuz and I were walking on busch blvd at 11 pm one night because he wanted to get some stuff from the store. I knew the area was considered one of the most dangerous in Tampa but I decided to go anyway. We got to a hess around 40th and busch and we had to get in line behind someone because we had to order our stuff drive thru style. Forget bullet proff glass they wouldn't even let people in it at all. Then we went to a mcdonalds down the road that was locked and we were the only people eating there. We didn't see anyone when we were just walking down the streets so we didn't really get the feel of how dangorous it actually is.

And I've walked around the raymond james dale mabry area a few times and aside from the mons venus I didn't see anything unusual. Any info on that area himes dale mabry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Quote:
i love everyones opinion of tampa on here. If you live by raymond james, you'll have 3 headed rape monsters attacking your family.

I have decided that the city-data tampa bay forums should be renamed to www.city-data/doom-and-gloom.com (broken link)
Disagree about RJS - I frequently walk up Dale Mabry and pass these places. Can you see this place from your house, because its right on Dale Mabry in the neighborhood of RJS.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Crime Statistics - City of Tampa Florida

Visit here to view crime stats in various Tampa locations.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Disagree about RJS - I frequently walk up Dale Mabry and pass these places. Can you see this place from your house, because its right on Dale Mabry in the neighborhood of RJS.

Oh, I dont feel that way. I was mocking the people who always tear down tampa every chance they get. these people sit here at their keyboard, foaming at the mouth to tell the world how bad florida and tampa are. I am so happy that I am not as miserable as half the people on here. my personal life would have to truly suck for me to despise such a decent city.

I can see RJS from my parking garage. I opted for a unit facing international plaza rather then RJS, but people in units across the hall can see RJS from their living rooms, yes. I frequently walk boy scout to go over to bay street @ intl plaza. It isnt a bad area.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:38 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
I have lived in both of those areas. The Ray Jay area is safer than the area around Busch Gardens, but neither are on the top of my list.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 AM

180 posts, read 555,724 times
Quote:
Oh, I dont feel that way. I was mocking the people who always tear down tampa every chance they get. these people sit here at their keyboard, foaming at the mouth to tell the world how bad florida and tampa are. I am so happy that I am not as miserable as half the people on here. my personal life would have to truly suck for me to despise such a decent city.

I can see RJS from my parking garage. I opted for a unit facing international plaza rather then RJS, but people in units across the hall can see RJS from their living rooms, yes. I frequently walk boy scout to go over to bay street @ intl plaza. It isnt a bad area.
Yeah I really hope the people reading this board treat it like you should treat anything you research that revolves around opinion.
Take the high and the low opinions, throw those out and what's in the middle is more likely to be accurate.
You're always going to have your nutbugs that just trash everything and you're always going to have the people with sunbeams coming out their butt that think everything is rosey. Tampa is a great place to live. Of course there are a few bad areas. Duh..where doesn't have those? The pros far outweigh the cons of living here.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,011,838 times
Area around Busch Gardens is pure slum. It's a college area, which should tell you something (Though I'm not sure if the colleges in bad areas is just a Florida thing, can someone answer that?) and Raymond James it all depends on where around Raymond James. MLK isn't one of the better roads, but Himes has some decent areas. Dale Mabry I don't think has any housing on it until you pass Kennedy, or further north. And I'd steer clear of Temple Terrace. That area just looks scary. Really, look into NORTH Tampa, or look into the South Tampa areas. Temple Terrace and West Tampa really aren't for people who don't know the city.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Hey I'm just wondering how it is around these areas. My cuz and I were walking on busch blvd at 11 pm one night because he wanted to get some stuff from the store. I knew the area was considered one of the most dangerous in Tampa but I decided to go anyway. We got to a hess around 40th and busch and we had to get in line behind someone because we had to order our stuff drive thru style. Forget bullet proff glass they wouldn't even let people in it at all. Then we went to a mcdonalds down the road that was locked and we were the only people eating there. We didn't see anyone when we were just walking down the streets so we didn't really get the feel of how dangorous it actually is.

And I've walked around the raymond james dale mabry area a few times and aside from the mons venus I didn't see anything unusual. Any info on that area himes dale mabry?

The main streets themselves really aren't that bad. I wouldn't want to walk around in the neighborhoods south of Busch, especially the Sulphur Springs area.

I don't mind the area around the stadium. It's mostly an older Spanish neighborhood. The area west of the stadium, Drew Park, is one of Tampa's sleazy areas and has all of that associated crime. The only time the stadium area starts to get bad is in the area southeast of the stadium, from like the corner of Columbus and Oregon on down, where the dumpy apartments turn into full-blown projects. Still, once you get down there, that's Old West Tampa, not exactly next door to the stadium.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 AM

30 posts, read 109,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzend View Post
I'm been making plans to move to the Bay Area. My company has an office in Temple Terrace and I've noticed that is right next to the Gardens. Can anyone tell me about the Temple Terrace area? I appreciate any remarks offered. Thanks.
We've lived in TT for over 10 yrs. You have to be east of 56th St to be safe. There are plenty of fine home and people here. People who talk it down don't know the area.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,157 times
Temple Terrace is very nice. WEST of 56th Street is also nice and safe. Just because someone doesn't look like you does not make an area unsafe. If it was not safe then that would be reflected in City-data's crime stats which show over 10 years Temple Terrace averaging 2% under the national crime rate.

West of 56th between Fletcher and Fowler, directly adjacent to the university is a wonderful area with nice homes on large lots. You don't have to live on a golf course to be safe. South of Fowler and west of 56th is mostly nice enough too. Having lower cost housing in an area does not make it unsafe. I ride my bike all over town and never feel at all threatened there. In fact, it is less unusual for some lovely person sitting on their front porch in one of the less affluent areas to say hello to me as I pass by and more unusual for someone on a golf course to give me the time of day. I for one have never associated snobbery with safety and I"m quite certain there's just as much domestic violence, whether physically or psychologically inflicted in wealthier as in poorer homes, even when it is more easily disguised with money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay