U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:59 PM

24 posts, read 44,369 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions regarding Latinos in the Tampa area (Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater):

1. Where does the Latino community cluster? What streets?

2. What type of Latinos reside in the Tampa area? That is, what nationalities are most common?

3. Like Texas, does the Tampa area have 2nd and 3rd generation Latinos? If so, are they scattered about or living in immigrant communities?

4. Are there any large churches in the Tampa area that have a bi-lingual (English and Spanish) service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,802,218 times
Central Florida is very Puerto Rican, except for some semi-rural areas that have a lot of migrant workers. There are also some Cubans near Tampa, but you have to go to south Florida to find large Cuban and South American populations.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:39 PM

15,184 posts, read 31,126,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by full_disclosure View Post
I have a few questions regarding Latinos in the Tampa area (Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater):

2. What type of Latinos reside in the Tampa area? That is, what nationalities are most common?

3. Like Texas, does the Tampa area have 2nd and 3rd generation Latinos? If so, are they scattered about or living in immigrant communities?

4. Are there any large churches in the Tampa area that have a bi-lingual (English and Spanish) service?
Tampa has a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation Latinos, I am one of them, although I don't live there anymore. I was born and raised in Tampa, the descendent of Spanish (from Spain) immigrants. We lived in Old West Tampa, which was and is kind of a Latin village of Spanish, Italian and Cubans. There are many variety of Latinos in Tampa, and they live all over the city now. When I was little, I thought EVERYONE in Tampa was Latino, because it seemed like it. Lots of transplants in the suburbs now.

I'm not sure about the churches, but I would think bi-lingual services would exist there.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:38 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,198,901 times
The Hispanic community was historically based in West Tampa. There still are lots there, including multigenerational families. They also stretch up Armenia Avenue past Hillsborough. There are lots of markets, stores, and even clubs up that way. I think that Cubans and Mexicans make up for a lot of the population, but that is just from a cursory glance. I know that we have Colombians, Venezuelans, Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans as well.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 10,930,556 times
There are definitely bi-lingual churches. A friend of mine attends one she is very excited about, even the choir performs bi-lingual. If anyone is interested, DM me and I will try to track down more info for you.

As for the specific types of Latinos, I do know some Puerto Ricans, but they certainly don't seem to comprise the largest group in my experience. I live in the Leto area and I mostly encounter Cubans, but there are lots of different nationalities represented. The 2nd and 3rd generation members I know tend to be of mixed ancestry, like Columbian/Puerto Rican or Cuban/African American, etc. I love this part of town, it has a strong community vibe and it is very diverse.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 AM

91 posts, read 301,142 times
Why?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM

27 posts, read 133,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by full_disclosure View Post

The history of tampa is very connected to the history of Cuba. The classic third generation tampa family would be an intermarried mix of italians and cubans. One of my favorite restaurants in Ybor City (old cuban cigar area) is Carmine's. It's an italian restaurant that serves as its most common lunch special a cuban sandwich with spanish bean soup.

Maybe that gives you a sense of things.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:11 PM

4,503 posts, read 6,575,429 times
The latino community according to the last census :
553,237 Population which is 13.73% of the total pop of the Tampa Bay area.
Distributed this way:
Mexican 169,531
Puerto Rican 157,406
Cuban 71,388
All other Hispanics 154,913

There is a larger concentration of hispanics in West Tampa, Town and Country and Armenia Ave.
Yes, there are bilingual churches of all denominations. They have services in spanish in Catholic,Methodist,Lutheran,Unity and there's even a Synagogue in Lutz whose Rabbi is from a latin american country.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:26 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,331,519 times
Clearwater has some Puerto Ricans, some Colombians and Venezuelans. Mostly, though, it's very Mexican, and largely from the same area (but I forget which-- Ixmiquilpan, maybe?). St. Cecelia Church downtown has a huge Latino ministry.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 PM

594 posts, read 1,242,317 times
yeah clearwater has ALOT of Mexicans, and a huge problem with shopping cart theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or