Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 AM

216 posts, read 829,347 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to St Pete in a few weeks from NY.

I have a great stylist here and hoping someone with curls and a good haircut can recommend one in the Tampa Bay Area?

Not concerned with price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
This might do better if moved to the Tampa Bay Forum.

I live in St. Pete, but have no recommendations (curly hair here, too...which is made even curlier by the FL humidity).

Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM

75 posts, read 320,802 times
I have curly hair, but it's more like CRAZY hair in this humidity.

I can recommend a good hair stylist (she also has curly hair): Dawn at Intuition Salon in Clearwater.

Good luck with your move, and with your hair!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 PM

2 great leads.

Thanks ladies...

Will be in St. Pete on the 22nd!!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,956 times
I just want to say Thank you to whoever posted Donna from Lemon Tree for cutting curly hair

Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 PM

I'm the OP.

I just had my hair cut by a wonderful stylist whose specialty is curly hair.
I am thrilled beyond belief. I'm very glad I found him. There are special cutting techniques for curly hair and he did them well. He also colored my hair perfectly.

His name is Jim Ferguson; he works at a salon called ESSENTIALS
5300 4th St. N, St Pete 727 522 9424.

He's a keeper.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 PM

87 posts, read 307,488 times
This thread is not new, but for future reference for folks in that area looking for a curly stylist, you need to look into Tiffany (who wrote the ebook Live Curly Live Free and is highly reviewed at the Naturally Curly dot com Salon Reviews section and in the forum) who is a Beau Monde Salon in St. Pete.

Here is where you can get reviews: Live Curly Live Free at Beau Monde in St. Petersburg, Florida (United States)

She specializes in the dry curly cut to enhance individual curl pattern. This is NOT for people who blow-dry. This is for "natural" curlies who let the curls air dry or diffuse dry or plop dry--but not brush-n-blower dry or flat-iron from time to time.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
I am interested in finding the reverse of a perm, only for curly hair where it stays straight a certain amount of time since I have naturally wavy longer hair like a JEWFRO.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:04 PM

87 posts, read 307,488 times
DoctorRain: You need to find a salon that has experience doing the Brazilian Blowout (less damaging) or the Brazilian Keratin Treatment (has formaldehyde). Both will straighten hair for a couple to three months (depending, you have to follow the aftercare rules).

You can google those procedures to learn about them, then google to find a salon that has people trained to do it. Then call in your area to find one you like. I don't straighten/relax, but some of the ladies on the Naturally CUrly site did the Brazilian Blowout and one uploaded pics of the result (she kept her curls, lost her frizz), another got straight hair.

I've seen hair after the BKT and it's VERY VERY straight....but you can't wash it or use any sort of hair clip or pin or even put your hair behind your ears for days (while it sets) and then you have to use particular shampoos (can't use sulfates, which is fine, the st uff is bad for hair).

The Brazilian Blowout, no restrictions. I think you just need to wait an hour and then you're good to go, and you can ask for the level of straightness (ie, do you want to keep some wave/curl or want it very straight). I think they recommend you use the BB products to maintain it.

Cost tends to run 200 to 350, depending on location... not including aftercare products.

Old time relaxers kill the hair. Stay away from those. And Japanese thermal treatment is bad for hair, too. Avoid those.

If you worry about formaldehyde (I would), stay away from BKT and go for BB.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:27 PM

55 posts, read 114,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I am interested in finding the reverse of a perm, only for curly hair where it stays straight a certain amount of time since I have naturally wavy longer hair like a JEWFRO.
i highly recommend the BKT (Brazilian Keratin Treatment) by Jessica at Bayfront Towers in downtown st. pete. She charged me $150 for my LONG hair. u wont find anything cheaper and she is very competent. I have had it done 3 times in the past 9 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay