U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:03 AM

38 posts, read 100,569 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Florida and interested in new traditional neighborhoods with a town center. Winthrop came up in my search but I cannot tell how far along the progress of the whole development is. I'm interested also in the schools as I have a 6yr old. Would love to have your opinions about the place

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM

3,921 posts, read 10,282,393 times
IMO, Winthrop is in a great Southshore location (close enough to Brandon for mall shopping & restaurants, yet far enough away to avoid gridlock). Easy access to I-75 & the Crosstown via 301, too. Because of the economy, building slowed to by contract only and there are a lot of lots left. Taylor Morrison is the only builder (I think).

I make a point to stop at the towncenter whenever I'm in the area and it's always alive with people. Last time I was there, I saw lots of bicycles, so the local residents are taking full advantage. Nice Publix grocery, banks and restaurants, too. Not too much retail shopping, though.

Symmes is the Elementary school. It's A-rated by Florida standards and for last year (#30 in points out of 146 Hillsborouch County elementary schools). Giunta is the Middle school. It was B-rated last year (missed the A-rating by a only few points). Riverview is the High school. It's also A-rated. It ranked #7 out of 27 high schools. I had two customers last year who wanted to move within the school boundaries for Riverview High. IIRC, one had something to do with the science program and the other had a high-achiever needing an accelerated learning program.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 08-05-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 AM

38 posts, read 100,569 times
Thanks TampaKaren, any idea about the schools?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM

3,921 posts, read 10,282,393 times
^^^ Sorry, I saved before I was finished (it's storming now and I didn't want to lose the info if our internet went out). I updated the post with school info. You may also research schools on the School District website at http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkimamma View Post
Thanks TampaKaren, any idea about the schools?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 AM

68 posts, read 229,784 times
It's not a bad little strip there but it's not much more than a couple of restaurants and the Publix. It's always busy now that the Green Iguana is there. It's nice and close to 75 which is nice in traffic. Bloomingdale gets nasty during the rush hours.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM

1,015 posts, read 3,006,789 times
I live 20 seconds from Winthrop... its clean and well maintained with a lot of room for expansion. There is also a Sheriffs office in the development.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 PM

876 posts, read 1,618,059 times
Busy commercial area with the Green Iguana and the Publix there. It's a fun place. The houses are cute, but last time I checked it out a few months ago it looked like they had a lot more houses to be built up.

It seems more like a neighborhood they happened to put up near a place with good restaurants than something that was really planned like Fishhawk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or