U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,198 times

Advertisements

Hi there;
My husband and I are currently renting a home off Armenia Ave, just a few streets north of Hillsborough. We are ready to purchase a home, and have been looking in the Seminole Heights area, which we love. We are extremely interested in a house in SE Seminole Heights, off Nebraska on McBerry St. I know the outer-lying area is "not good," to say the least, and it's not our first preference for location, but we love the house and immediate neighborhood--plus, it's a great deal. So, I would love to hear from people who live or have lived in that particular neighborhood--what their experience has been with crime and anything else. We've walked the neighborhood at night with no problems. I just seem to read a lot of people's comments on here talking about how horrible the crime is in Tampa, and I've never experienced/seen ANY crime where we currently live, and it seems that people are making it sound worse than it actually is...I'd like to hear first-hand experience about that area. Thanks in advance for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 03:17 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter451 View Post
Hi there;
My husband and I are currently renting a home off Armenia Ave, just a few streets north of Hillsborough. We are ready to purchase a home, and have been looking in the Seminole Heights area, which we love. We are extremely interested in a house in SE Seminole Heights, off Nebraska on McBerry St. I know the outer-lying area is "not good," to say the least, and it's not our first preference for location, but we love the house and immediate neighborhood--plus, it's a great deal. So, I would love to hear from people who live or have lived in that particular neighborhood--what their experience has been with crime and anything else. We've walked the neighborhood at night with no problems. I just seem to read a lot of people's comments on here talking about how horrible the crime is in Tampa, and I've never experienced/seen ANY crime where we currently live, and it seems that people are making it sound worse than it actually is...I'd like to hear first-hand experience about that area. Thanks in advance for any input!!
I don't know if that area has improved any, but I owned rental property in SE Seminole Hghts a few years ago and the crime was the WORST. Please I can't overstate this enough. My place was broken into THREE times in 2 years, I had constant problems with prostitutes and druggies. It is not safe and i would not recommend it. If anyone lives there now and feels differently, maybe they can chime in. This is my experience only, and I suppose maybe some streets are better than others. I am not familiar with McBerry Street, however I looked on the Google map, and I believe that area might be OK. Many years ago I knew someone who lived on Frierson which is near there. It will still be on the fringes of some rough areas however.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:03 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,182,455 times
I would stick to the Florida Avenue side of the interstate.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,667 times
I lived there for 7 years until moving to Lutz 2 years ago. I liked living there.

How can gyspyhic have owned rental property in SE Seminole Heights and not know about McBerry? It is a great street in SESH, one of the best in SESH.

SESH is the neighborhood in which current City Council member Kevin White lives in (Caracas and 11th) and former City Council member and current County Commissioner Rose Ferlita had a drug store at New Orleans and Nebraska, (until she became fulltime County Commissioner). Check out the soon to open Ella's restaurant at Shadowlawn and Nebraska. Great monthly porch parties. Website is [url=http://seshca.com/]index[/url]

Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,405 times
I actually live on McBerry and have for more than 2 years. I love it here and recommend it to all that are interested. I have never personally had a problem here and I do not know of any of my direct neighbors who have either. Just a side note - all that I have heard about TPD, if there is an issue they are quick to respond - but that is few and far between!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,405 times
I am not sure where you are in the SH area but SESH is not a bad place to be, we have great neighbors and all keep an eye on each other - this coming from a McBerry and Nebraska resident!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,627 times
I moved to SESH four years ago, and wouldn't leave. I had one break-in shortly after I moved here and beefed up security. No problems since. And what neighborhood *doesn't* have break-ins?The neighborhood is fab. There's a real sense of community. If there are problems, TPD is extremely responsive.Maybe gypshic's problems were related to the caliber of tenant he/she rented to.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:52 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SESH fan View Post
I moved to SESH four years ago, and wouldn't leave. I had one break-in shortly after I moved here and beefed up security. No problems since. And what neighborhood *doesn't* have break-ins?The neighborhood is fab. There's a real sense of community. If there are problems, TPD is extremely responsive.Maybe gypshic's problems were related to the caliber of tenant he/she rented to.
My problems were related to the neighborhood prostitutes and thugs, but as I said, this was several years ago, and the are my property was in was not near the street in question.

Sounds like you will be fine around there. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,612 times
We live on McBerry St, a few homes down from Nebraska. We purchased in Feb 09, and the neighborhood is great. Being completely new to the Tampa area, one of the things we learned was that Tampa--like most urban centers--has good streets mixed with not-so-good ones. SESH is, honestly, a neighborhood in transition. Everyone has told us that SESH is what the Hyde Park/SOHO area was 10 years ago. Of course, not even Hyde Park is perfect. I'm a firm believer that short of a gated, suburban community, urban living is just that...urban living: diverse, rough in spots, ammenties the suburbs don't have (short distance to our art-deco Publix!), and centrally located within the Tampa metro. In our short time, we have seen SESH improve with each new, determined, community-minded home-owner moving in, and we've already made great friends on McBerry and in SESH. Even the McBerry St renters take pride in our string of historic bungalows. SESH is a little oasis, but with more thoughtful buyers, such as yourselves, you can keep helping our transitioning neighborhood transition more.

More specifically, we haven't experienced any home-base crime in our time here. We do take precautions (home alarm), because it's the smart thing to do.

Happy househunting.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,544 times
I've lived in SE Seminole Heights for 9 years. I don't live on McBerry, which is the nicest block in SESH (I love to walk my dog there), and if you buy a house on that street, I'm sure you'll be happy with its ambience. I hope the house isn't near 12th Street because there are a lot of booming bass rap cars (my personal pet peeve) that travel 12th Street day and night. In the past I have seen prostitutes selling their services on Nebraska late at night. I don't know if that is still going on up by McBerry; I have, however, seen prostitutes down by Martin Luther King in the past few months.

As for other crimes, there is still the occasional break-in or car theft (my neighbor across the street just had his truck stolen a couple of weeks ago) but when I read the crime stats posted in the newspaper, I've noticed that crime in our 33603 zip code has decreased immensely over the years. I have never heard of a person-on-person assault in this neighborhood. I've walked home several times at 10:30pm-11:00pm from my friend's house 3 blocks away with no problem.

There are many nice, friendly people living in SESH. There are monthly porch parties you can attend, there's a neighborhood dog park, and soon Ella's restaurant will open up just a short walk from McBerry. I find SESH to be a physically beautiful neighborhood with all the trees, flowers, bungalows, and walkable streets. I have also made friendships here that will most likely last a lifetime.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay