U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:50 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,523,585 times

Advertisements

Im shocked that no one has mentioned the Huntsman spiders found there..Those things are cool...I find it funny that as large as these spiders are that they are basically harmless...Hoping to see a few once i get into town tomorrow eve..yay!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 PM

26 posts, read 84,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Im shocked that no one has mentioned the Huntsman spiders found there..Those things are cool...I find it funny that as large as these spiders are that they are basically harmless...Hoping to see a few once i get into town tomorrow eve..yay!!!
****! i'm afraid to google this!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 PM

26 posts, read 84,718 times
Quote:
clearly my next post in this forum, should i end up relocating to FL, will be a request for a good exterminator/pest control company : )

Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 PM

739 posts, read 1,609,812 times
I may have changed my mind about moving to Florida, yikes. We lived in the Bahamas for three years back in the 1980's so we know from the palmetto bugs, lizards and fire ants. Alligators? Snakes? Hunter spiders?

Cowabunga.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM

463 posts, read 909,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goi_cuon View Post
They have been in the news quite a bit in the last year. They have been spotted near Boyd Hill Nature Preserve south of Downtown St. Pete. This is the newest story I saw:

Links for July 21: Coyotes in Pinellas County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
It's been in the Times and in Creative Loafing, and the Pinellas County Animal Control people have warned residents as well. They're all through the county at this point. (Not sure why it matters how long you've lived here.)

: Pinellas County - Tampa Bay Newspapers

Coyotes, they are here to stay in Pinellas County
Amazing! I've never heard about this issue! I get daily news texts, read the paper every day (online BayNews9) and I've never heard of this issue. Huh, learn something new every day.

Thanks for the links everybody!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:01 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,778,022 times
ExNooYawk

You make it sound as all these are walking by us everywhere we go?!!!!!!! NOT TRUE!

You will get these if you don't clean up your yard....if you live in a mess, then they will be part of it, but if you clean up your yard and don't leave weeds grow taller than you.......you'll never see these things! it's not like in that stupid commercial where they knock on your door!!!!!!

Seriously!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM

119 posts, read 156,992 times
Default Critters

Aw cumon! Are you trying to tell me they have none in Texas? I moved here from the Northwest, and we had plenty of our own. It was common to see deer and bears within city limits, and we even had the occasional cougar! Unless you are living in a place like NYC, you are going to have critters. Just leave them alone, and they will do likewise.

As far as the lizards go, nobody mentioned that they eat the many many BUGS we have here!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,113,752 times
Quote:
They are really cool. I have one that lives in my garage and he is enormous but seems friendly. My cat goes out there sometimes and they have a stare down but so far no blood has been shed lol. But again, they are huge so I can see why people afraid of spiders might freak upon seeing one of these. I am the same way about frogs.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM

555 posts, read 1,468,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
Aw cumon! Are you trying to tell me they have none in Texas? I moved here from the Northwest, and we had plenty of our own. It was common to see deer and bears within city limits, and we even had the occasional cougar! Unless you are living in a place like NYC, you are going to have critters. Just leave them alone, and they will do likewise.

As far as the lizards go, nobody mentioned that they eat the many many BUGS we have here!
I'll take furry critters over scaley critters any day of the week! I'm weird, I'm far less scared of a 400 lb black bear than I am of a 12" garden snake.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM

186,984 posts, read 76,878,373 times
22-year-old man recovering after water moccasin bite - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/6/8/627618.html?title=22-year-old+man+recovering+after+water+moccasin+bite+ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay