U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,668,809 times

Advertisements

What kinda spiders are in FL? I'm moving there in a week and those spiders terrify me! If my husband deploys, I'm screwed! Maybe I'll have the house bug bombed before we move in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 AM

747 posts, read 1,574,700 times
When we moved into our house in April, my wife received a nice welcome when she was going to the ladies room and lifted the lid on the commode and a FROG jumped out! She was out the front door of the house before the that lid closed. I caught the bugger and released it outside on the front lawn.

The next morning I went to take a shower and opened the shower door and the bloody thing jump from one side to the other. It was the same FROG!!! It was stalking us.... This time I caught it, put it in a Zip-loc bag and drove it 10 miles to work with me and released it at the pond at work.

I started asking around how the heck the Frog got in the house, and folks were telling me they climb up on the roof and jump down the Plumbing vent pipes. The next day my wife had my son cover all our vent pipes with screening. We have not had an episode since! LOL Very funny!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 AM

848 posts, read 1,675,101 times
You wanna be safe in Florida?

1. Don't walk your small/medium size dogs OR TODDLERS next to any decent size pond. If you've never been up close and personal with an alligator, their speed will shock you.
2. ALWAYS look down before you step ANYWHERE.
3. There will be snakes next to water and if they're water moccasins, can be very aggressive.
3. You'd be surprised at the size snake that can hide in the roots of St. Augustine grass. Wolf spiders hide there too.
4. Regular treatment for bugs is necessary here, all year round.
5. Don't make your landscape hospitable. Landscaping lights look nice, but they attract bugs, which attract toads and lizards, which attract snakes. Keep it well trimmed. Use plants which repel insects or difficult for reptiles, i.e. thorns. Don't put mulch up close to the house, use sharp rock at least as a barrier around the house then mulch out if rock is too expensive.
6. Save money and use mothballs instead of Snake-a-way if you want to put something down.
7. Careful in your garage. Keep it neat and treat for bugs. Very common to find black widows in garages.
8. Oh, and snakes can climb drain pipes, stucco, trees. And get in pool skimmers.

You will get used to being careful and it'll be second nature. Don't obsess over it. People are not dying every day here because of reptiles and insects. Just use caution when appropriate.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 AM

219 posts, read 445,622 times
First of all they are not "disgusting" -- they are part of the natural landscape. If you don't like tropical fauna best not come to Florida.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:18 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,558,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
First of all they are not "disgusting" -- they are part of the natural landscape. If you don't like tropical fauna best not come to Florida.
They are not disgusting:

Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 PM

747 posts, read 1,574,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
They are not disgusting:
But in the Shower and the Toilet????

Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,736,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
I agree. I love the animals we have here. I recently treated under the foundation for termites - a once in seven years treatment - and that is all I have done. All of these animals were here before us and for the most part we can live side by side with no problem. Respect them all, especially those that can harm you, and we can all live side by side.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:55 AM

219 posts, read 445,622 times
One word of advice though: never let your dog off leash around a lake or swamp. Gators do what comes natural: eat. Every single incident I read about in the papers where a gator was destroyed for eating a dog around a lake involved the little mentioned fact that the dog's owner was not following leash laws. Just use common sense and respect the living things that have been here for millions of years longer than we have and you will do fine.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,558,688 times
Good comment Dino!
Many ppl don't want to follow rules around water with their pets.
And always remember, this is Florida. You will see more critters than anywhere else you have lived..

Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,128,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Good comment Dino!
Many ppl don't want to follow rules around water with their pets.
And always remember, this is Florida. You will see more critters than anywhere else you have lived..
I think it's wonderful.

We've been here for just over 6 months and I walk around all the time marveling at all the different plants, animals, and birds I see all over.

I'm not a fan of the giant palmetto bugs or the fire ants and other miscellaneous creatures that are similar, but I'm willing to deal with them. They are just as important as every other part of nature, and if they weren't here, all those plants, animals, and birds wouldn't be here either.

I am super careful around water with my kiddos. I think they're starting to get it, I don't have to remind them to keep your feet on the path as often anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay