U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM

13 posts, read 42,404 times

Advertisements

All right, so I have a friend in England. She wants to move here legally, but she needs to find a visa-sponsoring job. Marrying into the country isn't an option as she is moving to be with her girlfriend in Tampa. Does anybody know of any jobs or people that can help make this possible? Her girlfriend is my best friend and she is moving to England right now, as it's easier to go there, but I want my best friend here! Thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,036,068 times
How about a nanny position? My friend came over many years ago on a work visa.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:23 PM

627 posts, read 1,176,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmllr View Post
All right, so I have a friend in England. She wants to move here legally, but she needs to find a visa-sponsoring job. Marrying into the country isn't an option as she is moving to be with her girlfriend in Tampa. Does anybody know of any jobs or people that can help make this possible? Her girlfriend is my best friend and she is moving to England right now, as it's easier to go there, but I want my best friend here! Thanks for any tips!
My advice:
You put on your big girl panties and wish your best friend the best of luck in England. Wanting your friend to stay here just because this is where you are is selfish...

As for the other side of it... many people that are already US citizens dont have jobs, finding a visa-sponsoring job in this economy is more then likely going to be next to impossible.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:46 PM

96 posts, read 660,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmllr View Post
For a short while, I worked as a paralegal for an immigration law attorney. Essentially, what your friend will have to do is find an employer who will hire her on an H1B visa.

If you do a keyword search for the words H1B visa + employer and/or employment, you will get many hits that will get your friend started on the whole process.

I don't know what things are like now, but back when I was doing that sort of immigration work (about ten years ago), it was a very long process and could at times be extremely frustrating for would-be immigrants. I'm not trying to be overly-discouraging to you about the idea, but you should be aware that it is a very long, complicated, and drawn-out process.

But, best of luck to your friend!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 PM

300 posts, read 354,335 times
It depends on what qualifications your friend's friend has... For the H1B visa, she must be a highly skilled worker, i.e. hold at least a bachelor degree in a certain field. Then the employer must demonstrate that she was the best qualified person for the job and they couldn't find a US citizen to do this job (this is most easily done in fields where there is a shortage of workers). It does not take very long to get the visa from the consulate, granted she's got the job, of course, but it's very unlikely that she will actually get such an offer, since she will not be able to come here for an interview...

Another type of visa that she could always try to obtain is a student visa and I think it is much easier to go on this route. She could apply for undergraduate studies here, but she must show proof that she has enough money to live and pay tuition for at least a year (I am actually not sure about the period). If she already has a BS or BA, she could apply for graduate studies and even obtain an assistantship which solves the money problem.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:36 AM

1,402 posts, read 2,496,950 times
I have worked with many people wishing to live here. I am a transplant from the UK. It is very much harder now, there are thousands upon thousands of Americans out of work. There is a restricted amount of H1B applicants given every year, they almost go the first day of release each year and then there are none till the next year rolls around. You have to have your paperwork in. To do this, you have to have a job offer. We were fortunate, the job offer we had was held open for almost 9 months while we waited and waited for immigration to let us have the visa! Nursing still seems to be the way, but you have to be qualified in UK and then jump through hoops here, to satisfy nursing criteria here too. Even that is not easy. The other way is to open a business on an E-2 visa, no lasting chance of permanent residency, or L-1 intra company transfer, if you have a business in UK already and can open a new office here - doesn't have to be same line of work at all anything that satisfies immigration standards for this visa will work. Of course if the friend is hugely talented - singer, film star etc etc, that's another way in. Sorry to be disheartening, but it seems slightly easier to get to UK for an American than a British person getting us USA - but be warned that's not easy either. same bad economy there. Student way in, good idea, but v expensive and again, once studying is over, I think one year, could be diff now, allowed for work experience, and then one is faced with still getting that visa to stay.
good luck to all with this. Big warning, avoid visa companies who tout their services and ask for money up front. No one can guarantee you a place here, but the better ones will give you some advice before you have to spend any money finding out you can't get in. Also if you start the process get a good immigration attorney, one who is a member of AILA - I know one if you need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or