U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,338 times

Advertisements

Were looking to move from UK to Tampa Bay to expand the business. Me and my wife are in our 30's and we have a 15 and 18 year old. We would like somewhere close to the beach with good local activities to do close by such as water sports, eating out, bars etc. Has anyone got any advice or recommendations for areas. We are thinking of Tampa Bay as I will be expanding my business from the UK as well and I thought Tampa Bay, being a large town, would also be a good place to set up the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 05:30 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,764,914 times
Hi there,

Not to be the realistic one here BUT, have you done market re-search to see if your business will do well here? if there is a request for your product/service? our economy has been hit pretty hard and small businesses are having a really hard time right now to stay afloat as people are saving rather than spending and with so many job loses it makes it even harder for some to stay in business!

By comparing with what city is Tampa larger? Miami is twice the size of Tampa for example?

I'd say do a lot of re-search before moving all the way here and then be highly disappointed!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,861,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionwf View Post
Were looking to move from UK to Tampa Bay to expand the business. .
What business are we talking here?

Can you spell some more details and we can help you!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,992,506 times
Welcome! There are so many great places in the Tampa area to choose from. If you could give us an idea of what amenities and price range you have in mind we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:08 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,299,216 times
I'd suggest you verify financing before you do anything else. Expat loans (residential and commercial) are nearly impossible to get at this time.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 13,118 times
I too moved from the UK to Tampa about 5 years ago. I agree you need to have a good plan and do lots of research and not just think that you holiday all day long.
The weather great but the heat is tough to get used to. At the moment I have no plans to move back.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 8,926 times
If you are looking to live in little quiet places where there is no traffifc, pasco county may be idle place to live where taxes are low and there is no traffic issues in places like land o lakes. You still can enjoy beaches which are baout 30-45 mins drive.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 AM

1,404 posts, read 2,501,335 times
I have emailed you privately, one thing worth considering is the problems you may encounter with your 18 year old unless they are going to be partners in the business you are opening here. I am assuming you are considering an L-1 visa? Or maybe you are considering Eb5 If not then unless your child is in full time education they are likely to have problems coming in. The same will occur with any child who becomes an adult and no longer a dependent. College takes care of several years, and then I think a further year of 'work experience' is allowed, but then the right to stay becomes very precarious. This is a life changing experience, one that we too undertook 10 years ago, and we are happy we did,but it's not easy - as absgillespie states - particularly for the children. I would not recommend the quieter areas of the area, you need customers for your business, unless it's one that doesn't need anything other than good access for transport. You need staff (sometimes finding good ones is hard here). You need to be able to get to it, so dont live in say Pasco county and open an office in St Pete, it will get old driving all the time.
If schools are important pick your location well, unless you are paying privately.
I don't know the current numbers for failing new businesses but I'm sure you can find them, they are pretty high so groundwork I'm sure you know, is the key. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or