U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2009, 07:05 AM

214 posts, read 508,488 times
Exclamation Urgent! Need info re: S. Pasadena!

I'm new to St Pete and I'm looking for a 2-bedroom rental.
My first and second choice communities (downtown St Pete & Gulfport) do not currently have any pet-friendly rentals in my price range that suits me and I need to find a place asap.
Yesterday my realtor showed me an older building in S. Pasadena currently undergoing major renovation. Solid big building getting a total overhaul. All units will become rentals. Very nice 1 & 2BR apts - many overlooking the water (Boca Ciega bay maybe?) I think it just came on the market.

My questions:

1 - Is the drive to/from S. Pasadena to St Pete dangerous, esp on a daily basis?
2 - Is the local supermarket, other shopping in a safe area? I hear that the crime rates in that zip code are much higher.

The building is beautiful with a new fitness club, wifi cafe, pool, etc.
IMHO lots of bang for the buck. I'd love to sign a lease today but hope a few people who live in the area can advise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:44 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,167,026 times
South Pasadena is very safe. No, the drive into downtown is nothing to worry about. You would take Central or 1st Avenue South inbound and Central or 1st Avenue North outbound. The grocery stores are well-kept, too. They'd be along Pasadena Avenue. South Pasadena is also close to Treasure Island and St. Pete Beach. The only downside is that I think there's a majority elderly/retired population and not much to do after dark, but then again, you're pretty centrally located to most things.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 AM

214 posts, read 381,993 times
I was shopping at the Publix in SoPa last January just east of the bridge (sorry, don't know the street names off the top of my head) and it was clean, safe and affluent to my eye.

I live in what would be considered a rather affluent suburb of Chicago and SoPa has the socioeconomic feel of my home town - minus the palm trees, of course.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 PM

108 posts, read 188,720 times
According to this very site, the median age for that zip code is 70, which actually sounds about right. I'd say that makes it reasonable safe

Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 PM

428 posts, read 897,038 times
Median age of 70? I would have thought 80. Seriously there's a new Publix going in on South Pasadena (the old Albertson's) - the Publix in the shopping plaza will close. SO you have a new Publix, a nice Sweetbay, an Italian/Greek deli, Nature's Finest just up on Central Ave., the best burgers in town (Pasadena Bar and Grill), a great English pub (Horse and Jockey), a new ice cream place that's excellent (Candy's), Ted Peters Smoked Fish house, the winery, and you are very close to the beaches.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 AM

214 posts, read 508,488 times
I did some more research on the area. Yes, it's got a very elderly population, which is just fine with me. I'm only a few decades away from that myself! I'm not a big one for going out much at night except on the weekends and I do have a car so I'm good to go.

It's just that the drive to where I will be renting is through a pretty iffy area.
The reason I was concerned was because the crime rates for 33707 are higher than average. However, one neighborhood in that zip can have a completely different demographic from another neighborhood there. I spoke to someone in the police station and they told me I had nothing to worry about where I'm going to reside.

So thanks for the quick replies! I've put in an application on the rental I wanted.

I also want to say that every single person I've met down here has been super-friendly and helpful. I can't wait to get settled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay