U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
 
36 posts, read 125,527 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

I was at 56th and Fowler where I stopped beyond the line, not into the crosswalk, my wheels were on the solid white line and I saw the flash from the greedy red light camera. How much do they charge you for this in anticipation?

BTW I don't mind red light cameras that give you tickets for actually running red lights but stopping on the line at 10:30 at night where NO ONE is walking is stupid. I got a warning before and have been pretty careful at that light but tonight I made the huge mistake of stopping on the effing line and FLASH!

My rule is if you can't hit a pedestrian/car you shouldn't get a ticket...lets see if I do get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2009, 05:40 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,788,524 times
Reputation: 2141
Look, In the last 3 weeks I have seen about 20 cars on the roads I most frequent running red lights WITHOUT any intention to stop......drove right through them!? I cannot believe that people think that's OK just because no one is coming!

Have you ever thought that there may be kids in other cars?

If a STOP light/sign was installed, it was installed to be respected and obeyed not disregarded because "no one is coming".


Someone can pop out of nowhere or your blind spot and poof! you just hit someone/other car!

I am appalled every time I hear how traffic rules should be ignored if no one is coming! That's WHY my car insurance is so damn high! I have people like you to thank for that!

If you don't like to obey traffic rules you should sell your car and become a pedestrian.

I am very sorry but your statement couldn't be more wrong and inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 06:19 AM
 
13 posts, read 36,350 times
Reputation: 11
Those cameras at 56th & Fowler only seem to cover two of the four paths at the intersection, right? Only south and eastbound. I've seen the same at a couple of other intersections. Maybe it's just testing right now. It seems as if it flashes every time the light turns red. I saw it late at night with no one but me at the intersection (waiting for a green). It still went off just before it turned green for me.

I agree that red light runners are pretty common up here, but is it because the red lights are so damn long at some intersections? On Dale Mabry it feels like I wait 5 minutes at some intersections.They need smart technology to keep traffic flowing in the busiest directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 06:34 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee
3,926 posts, read 10,319,610 times
Reputation: 5217
The City of Temple Terrace website says the citation is a minimum of $100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 AM
 
13,773 posts, read 33,933,160 times
Reputation: 10562
Since you stopped albeit on the line are you sure you will get a ticket?

I agree running a red light is despicable. I was waiting at Dale Mabry and MLK when the light changed when a car hauler ran through the light a good 20 seconds or more after it had turned red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
 
36 posts, read 125,527 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Look, In the last 3 weeks I have seen about 20 cars on the roads I most frequent running red lights WITHOUT any intention to stop......drove right through them!? I cannot believe that people think that's OK just because no one is coming!

Have you ever thought that there may be kids in other cars?

If a STOP light/sign was installed, it was installed to be respected and obeyed not disregarded because "no one is coming".


Someone can pop out of nowhere or your blind spot and poof! you just hit someone/other car!

I am appalled every time I hear how traffic rules should be ignored if no one is coming! That's WHY my car insurance is so damn high! I have people like you to thank for that!

If you don't like to obey traffic rules you should sell your car and become a pedestrian.

I am very sorry but your statement couldn't be more wrong and inappropriate.
People like you are why we have stupid laws, "think of the kids!" The problem with red light cameras is NO cop on this planet would have stopped me and given me a ticket for what I did. Temple Terrace cops are the most strict and even they wouldn't stop me.

I stopped on the line, not roll through a red light, not stop in the crosswalk. Do you realize how many laws you break daily? Not following the right distance, blinker on too late etc. Think if someone gave you a ticket for putting your blinker on at 180 ft instead of 200 ft...that's the same thing. Don't start with this crap.

By the way red light cameras don't work.

Public Health Researchers Take Closer Look at Red-light Cameras

"The injury rate from red-light running crashes has dropped by a third in less than a decade, indicating red-light running crashes have been continually declining in Florida without the use of cameras."

"Red-light running can be reduced by engineering improvements that address factors such as signal visibility and timings, wet roads and traffic flow, the USF researchers say."

Read up on them if you like...

Red light cameras are nothing but revenue generators. Some cities have even been fined for shortening the length of yellow lights to catch more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
 
36 posts, read 125,527 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Since you stopped albeit on the line are you sure you will get a ticket?

I agree running a red light is despicable. I was waiting at Dale Mabry and MLK when the light changed when a car hauler ran through the light a good 20 seconds or more after it had turned red.
Yeah I have gotten a warning before for stopping on the line. It doesnt matter if you stop. My warning had me on camera, brake lights a blaze, sitting still, but my tires were past the line (again not in the crosswalk but past the line)

Red light cameras take the law to literally. Like I said to the last person it would be like getting a ticket because instead of 2 car lengths you followed at 1.75 car lengths. There are massive amount of complaints online about them.

But yes I can't understand true red light runners. An old classmate died running a red light but he was reckless and no camera would have stopped him. That's the thing is people still speed, and they will still break red lights. We need better driver training and harder tests to get licenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 AM
 
790 posts, read 1,467,035 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelsaurus Rex View Post
I was at 56th and Fowler where I stopped beyond the line, not into the crosswalk, my wheels were on the solid white line and I saw the flash from the greedy red light camera. How much do they charge you for this in anticipation?

BTW I don't mind red light cameras that give you tickets for actually running red lights but stopping on the line at 10:30 at night where NO ONE is walking is stupid. I got a warning before and have been pretty careful at that light but tonight I made the huge mistake of stopping on the effing line and FLASH!

My rule is if you can't hit a pedestrian/car you shouldn't get a ticket...lets see if I do get one.
I see what you mean about stopping at crosswalks. You should NOT get a ticket even if your fron tire is a few feet past the intersection. The problem, particularly in Florida, is the high frequency of people blowing through red lights at every intersection its almost comical. These f'tards don't go through as the light is changing but race through 3 or 4 seconds after it turns red. Cameras are a great idea if they catch those blatantly running the light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,788,524 times
Reputation: 2141
Michaelsaurus Rex:

Moderator cut: comment

The red light cameras are a great idea SINCE TAX PAYERS cannot afford to keep cops at EVERY intersection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there should be red light cameras EVERYWHERE!

If you STOPPED on the line BEFORE the crosswalk, you shouldn't get a ticket, if you stopped PASSED the pedestrian cross walk lines THEN you should probably get a ticket since you're practically in the middle of the road/intersection.

An injury dropping by a third means NOTHING to the people who LOST LOVED ONES Thanks to that idiot that run the light without regard to the others sharing the road!!!!

You're NOT going to convince me these cameras are useless or that running red lights is OK, or even running to catch a yellow light before turning red! sorry.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-02-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: He didn't say it was OK to run a red light
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 AM
 
25,909 posts, read 39,205,212 times
Reputation: 13903
Red-Light Citations Decline in Lakeland

Red-Light Citations Decline in Lakeland | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL (http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:v6V07W4vzSYJ:www.theledger.com/article/20090815/NEWS/908155032%3FTitle%3DRed-Light-Citations-Decline-in-Lakeland+lakeland+traffic+light+,+flash+lights&cd= 15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)


It seems it works!

Btw...if you drive slower than a certain amount of miles and stop very close after the white solid line...you won't have to pay the fine...but most people will run the light without even slowing down, many even goign faster to see who can beat the red light...if you drive and keep up to the speed limit you will be able to stop on time, more so because you should always slow down before an intersection even if it is green, you never know if an emergency vehicle comes crossing the intersection or some one will cross, who shouldn't....
We had an accident that way...even though we slowed down we still got hit by a young lady who decided not to yield but cross and even after 3 yrs we are waiting till the case goes to trial. Her ins. comp settled immediately since she was clearly at fault and got a ticket for being at fault...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top