Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 13,534 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody!! We are moving from Greece to Florida. I am seriously considering the Palm Harbor/Tarpon Springs area due to the fact that I heard that the schools are also taught in Greek. My children speak both languages fluently and I just don't want their surroundings to feel too "foreign" to them.
I would appreciate any input anyone could give me on these two areas since ALL of my research is done through internet and Google Earth. We are looking for great schools, nice communities. From what I see, Palm Harbor looks less crowded and in a nice convenient location. We will most likely rent a home. (Never had our "own" garage, backyard, etc.) So used to sharing spaces here, the thought of renting an apartment there just doesn't sound too exciting!!
Would also love to hear some advice/opinions from fellow Greek members!! Although ALL are welcome!! Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by NieceFromGreece; 05-01-2007 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,347 times
What an exciting move for you, yet Greece is SO beautiful, what would make you want to leave it?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,253 times
Default Tarpon Springs/Palm Harbor

Wow.......Tarpon Springs is a lovely little town, the sponge docks have many stores and restaurants, the best bakeries......a busy tourist area, the Cathedral in the area is beautiful and they have a museum, art galleries
nice town all round..........Palm Harbor, another great place, beautiful homes
plenty of shopping, only downside is traffic, the traffic on US 19 is a horror in that area. Schools I believe are good.

Good luck on your search.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM

471 posts, read 1,660,575 times
We considered renting in both places but chose Palm Harbor primarily because we found a great house at a great rental price and there is a huge construction project on Alt 19 and downtown Tarpon Springs which really affects traffic right now-I don't know how long it will last.
I would recommend either area depending on housing, personal preferences and how much that traffic congestion will bother you.

US 19 can be avoided by using Alt 19, keystone and Eastlake Rds-but remember that construction is right downtown and will affect any way you go in or out to some extent. Also have noticed a big difference since the snowbirds left.

Tarpon Springs has a huge Greek ethnic community, so you might find that more appealing. But Palm Harbor is only a boundary sign away, so that could work also.
there are lots of homes for rent in either area. check craigslist tampa, realtor.com rentals

Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 PM

930 posts, read 717,577 times
Tarpon springs is a greek community and a lot busier especially with traffic on Alt 19 near the sponge docks. There is a bit more crime in the tarpon springs area. I would personally choose Palm Harbor. I'm not sure how the schools are in T.S. I know they just built a new elem school, the old one got demolished because of mold. I dont know if the public schools teach greek, but I know of a charter school that does it just opened up in Seven Springs. About 15-20 miles east of T.S. It is a good school with small calss sizes, it's called Athenian Academy of Pasco County. I know some families that go there and they love it. I see alot of Greek children on the playground when I pass by. They teach K-6, greek and spanish and extra math classes. It would be an excellent choice for your family. Look into it soon, space is limited. I think you can live in T.S and still attend. Good Luck with your move.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:17 PM

38 posts, read 138,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
What an exciting move for you, yet Greece is SO beautiful, what would make you want to leave it?
There is a good chance they are experiencing what I like to call the "greek curse" I call it this because few people on the planet are so proud of their heritage and culture (rightfully so) yet on the other hand present day Greece doesn't provide that much in the way of opportunity. $1000 per month is considered "ok to good" and that is IF you can find a job.

The schools and universities are constantly suffering turmoil in the form of teacher strikes and student unrest.

Property in the Athens area has recently become more expensive than Paris and the traffic, noise, pollution and crime are out of hand.

It is no wonder that Greece is one of the few countries that has an equal or higher percentage of people living outside the country.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:09 PM

458 posts, read 598,376 times
Good luck with your move. My father is Greek and many of our family enjoy visiting Tarpon Springs. The other posters are right on with their advice on Palm Harbor.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:47 AM

3 posts, read 13,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edotabin View Post
There is a good chance they are experiencing what I like to call the "greek curse" I call it this because few people on the planet are so proud of their heritage and culture (rightfully so) yet on the other hand present day Greece doesn't provide that much in the way of opportunity. $1000 per month is considered "ok to good" and that is IF you can find a job.

The schools and universities are constantly suffering turmoil in the form of teacher strikes and student unrest.

Property in the Athens area has recently become more expensive than Paris and the traffic, noise, pollution and crime are out of hand.

It is no wonder that Greece is one of the few countries that has an equal or higher percentage of people living outside the country.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!! I guess it is the "Greek curse". Greece is a beautiful country - wonderful places, great food, beautiful beaches - a FANTASTIC place for vacationing, but living here is somewhat different!!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 14,027 times
Default Home for sale in Clearwater, not far from Tarpon Springs

Priced to sell at $325,000.00, 2 story, 4 BR, 3 BA, Den, Living room, dining room, breakfast area, wood floors, tiled kitchen, fireplace, screened deck, hot tub, 2 car detached garage w-mother-in-law efficiency apartment on rear w/1bath. Plenty of parking. Frame home. Can be zoned commercial also for home business/offices/services. Borders million dollar neighborhood of celebrities, quiet, shade trees, safe area, nice smaller schools, great facilities and shopping, etc. 5 minutes from Clearwater Beach. Centrally located to Tarpon Springs, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Pinellas Park, Skyway.

Wife's home - must sell/lease due to health problems. No commission, by owner. Save! Will work with buyers on expenses, closing costs.

Email me for details and good luck with your relocation!

Steve

Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn4261 View Post
Tarpon springs is a greek community and a lot busier especially with traffic on Alt 19 near the sponge docks. There is a bit more crime in the tarpon springs area. I would personally choose Palm Harbor. I'm not sure how the schools are in T.S. I know they just built a new elem school, the old one got demolished because of mold. I dont know if the public schools teach greek, but I know of a charter school that does it just opened up in Seven Springs. About 15-20 miles east of T.S. It is a good school with small calss sizes, it's called Athenian Academy of Pasco County. I know some families that go there and they love it. I see alot of Greek children on the playground when I pass by. They teach K-6, greek and spanish and extra math classes. It would be an excellent choice for your family. Look into it soon, space is limited. I think you can live in T.S and still attend. Good Luck with your move.
I would not recommend Athenian Academy of Pasco (AAP). Google it to find out why. Athenian Academy of Pinellas is much better, and right in Dunedin, FL, not far from Tarpon. While the Dunedin school is funded and managed by the same founder, it is well established and has a much better reputation. We sent our kindergartener to AAP, and would not recommend it. Last year they fired two of the three KG teachers mid-year, and this year they fired a 1st grade teacher mid-year. They told parents and children in both cases that the teachers had chosen to leave the school. Chaos for the kids. Speaking of chaos, AAP doesn't have funds to hire substitutes when teachers are sick so they just combine the classes - small class size my eye! AAP is under scrutiny from the Pasco board of education and basically on probation. They are managed by a charter school business company from Michigan (Leona Group) that lost many contracts that it held with Michigan schools for ten years due to falling performance at those schools. Google them too. And while you are at it, google the "leader" of AAP. His name is on the web site. He was arrested on child abuse charges in 2007, but Florida law basically sweeps such domestic violence charges under the rug if the offender agrees to seek counseling and doesn't re-offend within a set period of time. After the period of probation, all record of the offense is erased. But the newspaper articles remain forever on the Internet. You might be inclined to say that this is his personal business, but I have to ask - is this the type of person - who resorts to physical violence - that you want leading your children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay