Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:59 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
You can do it in west Pasco. Homes rent for around 500 to 750 smackers a month. Apt rents are much higher at around 750 to 900 for a one bedroom. In Tampa you would never rent a home near 500 a month.
Don't forget that your neighbors will probably be dealing drugs or engaged in some other sort of illicit activities and the potential for being burglarized will be significant. And in a house in West Pasco you may not have a garage, so your car might get vandalized as well.

Beautiful place if you're into cheap living.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:15 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Don't forget that your neighbors will probably be dealing drugs or engaged in some other sort of illicit activities and the potential for being burglarized will be significant. And in a house in West Pasco you may not have a garage, so your car might get vandalized as well.

RM
I actually agree w/ you on this!
If you ever get on Facebook check out "Roo Roo" or "Bazooka Ricky". It might give people an idea of some of the type of people that live in and frequent the area.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I actually agree w/ you on this!
If you ever get on Facebook check out "Roo Roo" or "Bazooka Ricky". It might give people an idea of some of the type of people that live in and frequent the area.
Not necessary. I have a mother in law who has lived in Holiday since the early 90s. I've see it in real life for far too long.

RM

Old 01-01-2018, 04:47 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:

RM
True about the drugs, but i don't even have neighbors anymore. The 94 year old woman to my north bit the bullet last year and the house was on a reverse mortgage and has been empty ever since. It could take years for the bank to deal with it. But someone could buy a 2000 sq ft home for around 30k and fix it up one of these days. The house to my south is empty most of the year and the hermit that lives in it from NJ never even comes out of the house the 4 months he stays there in the winter. Most of the small homes have a one car garage. House behind me is empty. So many homes have been empty for years in my hood and a meth cooker burned a house down. With the new codes a new house has to be built 10ft high since we are in flood zone a. So that will be a empty lot for years as no one is gonna pay to build up a house 10 ft high with dumps all around the lot.

Rents are cheap for a reason.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Not necessary. I have a mother in law who has lived in Holiday since the early 90s. I've see it in real life for far too long.

RM
Holiday to Hudson is just so ugly and run down. All the old 2bedroom homes are dumps full of low class renters with a few home owners keeping a nice house mixed in with all the dumps. I think Holiday has more drugs than the rest of west Pasco. I could go back to buying these dumps again like i did in 2001 to 2004 before the floor fell out. A big crash is coming again and with flood Ins cost going higher and higher this area will hit rock bottom again and these homes will be worth under 25k again. All of west Pasco was super nice back in the 70's until around the mid 90's. Then all the old people died off and then renters took over and it went downhill fast.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Holiday to Hudson is just so ugly and run down. All the old 2bedroom homes are dumps full of low class renters with a few home owners keeping a nice house mixed in with all the dumps. I think Holiday has more drugs than the rest of west Pasco. I could go back to buying these dumps again like i did in 2001 to 2004 before the floor fell out. A big crash is coming again and with flood Ins cost going higher and higher this area will hit rock bottom again and these homes will be worth under 25k again. All of west Pasco was super nice back in the 70's until around the mid 90's. Then all the old people died off and then renters took over and it went downhill fast.
In my case the MIL lives on the east side of 19 and in an area that relatively high, so I know she's not in a flood zone. However, there's a little par 3 golf course that's adjacent to her property that connects to the Anclote River that floods whenever there is a hurricane or major storm.

As I've mentioned previously, she lives on a cul de sac that is nearly all retirees and/or snowbirds. For now she's been pretty lucky, as the surrounding streets are all nasty. A next door neighbor is a younger couple with kids who is trying to make a start and doing pretty well. It would be nice if there were more people like them in the area as it would definitely bring it up.

It's funny, as I looked at home values not long ago, and according to Zillow (I know they're not terribly accurate) her house is worth about what they paid for it in 1992, I believe. I know that during the recession the value was down to less than half of that. My biggest concern is when she kicks it and we have to liquidate the house. I'm not looking forward to that.

RM

Old 01-01-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
In my case the MIL lives on the east side of 19 and in an area that relatively high, so I know she's not in a flood zone. However, there's a little par 3 golf course that's adjacent to her property that connects to the Anclote River that floods whenever there is a hurricane or major storm.

As I've mentioned previously, she lives on a cul de sac that is nearly all retirees and/or snowbirds. For now she's been pretty lucky, as the surrounding streets are all nasty. A next door neighbor is a younger couple with kids who is trying to make a start and doing pretty well. It would be nice if there were more people like them in the area as it would definitely bring it up.

It's funny, as I looked at home values not long ago, and according to Zillow (I know they're not terribly accurate) her house is worth about what they paid for it in 1992, I believe. I know that during the recession the value was down to less than half of that. My biggest concern is when she kicks it and we have to liquidate the house. I'm not looking forward to that.

RM
Just sell it cheap and fast and be done with it. I would never deal with renters.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:26 AM

593 posts, read 667,338 times
As a young professional myself I would say 40k is a bit low. Yet you could do it, but you would basically be working to live. I would aim more towards 55k. That would give you a little wiggle roomy between cost of living and income. Now that I am married (no kids) we have 2 incomes and do right around 100-110k per year and we live pretty good. I think 125 will be the breaking point where we finally can afford extras like vacations and what not.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Just sell it cheap and fast and be done with it. I would never deal with renters.
G-d no. I live in Valrico, a good hour away. If anything came up and I had to haul over there it would be a major PITA. When the MIL kicks it, the place goes on the block. There are several surviving offspring, so it will have not be sold to settle the estate anyway. I can't imagine any of them wanting to buy the others out and taking it over.

RM

Old 01-01-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
G-d no. I live in Valrico, a good hour away. If anything came up and I had to haul over there it would be a major PITA. When the MIL kicks it, the place goes on the block. There are several surviving offspring, so it will have not be sold to settle the estate anyway. I can't imagine any of them wanting to buy the others out and taking it over.

RM
These homes are just not going up compared to everywhere else. At least it is east of US19 so it should bring 50k compared to 40k and less on my side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay