U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM

47 posts, read 93,081 times
Default Activities for the disabled?

I am looking for some fun ideas for things to do in the Tampa Bay area that are handicapped accessible. My BF was diagnosed with MS and has been in a chair for 6 years. He has been kind of "holed up" for a few years so I am trying to get him back in the world. Even the mall is a fun day for us. Although I am familiar with the local life, he has just relocated here and I am not that familiar with places that are easy to get around in a chair. Heat is also an issue as MS patients have a difficult time maintaining energy/strength in the heat. Any indoor activities would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM

1,128 posts, read 2,401,455 times
I have seen signs at some of the beaches for free rentals of the special wheelchairs that ride on sand. I believe you have to call ahead of time. I am not sure which ones I have seen that. I am sure that isn't too difficult to find out. I believe Clearwater and Treasure Island have such wheelchairs. I thought I saw the signs at Ft. DeSoto Beach.

The Florida Aquarium is fully accessible. Nearby Channelside has an elevator that can bring you upstairs. There are some nice bars/restaurants and shops. I can't guarantee that all the restaurants will be accessible.

Busch Gardens is fun. He can probably go on most of the rides. Is he able to get up and walk a little bit? He could probably ride the rollercoasters if he can get up and walk the short distance.

The Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg is accessible.

Is there anything in particular you are looking to do?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Channelside is definitly on my list. I didn't realize they had an elevator. also I think they have dinner cruises that leave from there. I'll have to check into that.
The beach chair thing is cool too. We tried to rent one for the weekend but they wanted some crazy 200 bucks for the 3 days. no way. lol. I did manage to get him to the beach during memorial day though. Some friends carried him down to the water for me. It was really sweet but certainly a rare treat.
I hear what you're saying about restaurants though. Even though they are suppose to meet requirements, they usually don't. Hooter's is the worst for a wheelchair. The tables are just low enough that you can't get the arms in under them properly and the tall ones are a little too tall. Besides, the few times we actually tried to go there (Brandon location) the girls were kind of crappy about it. Hooters is not on our favs list. lol.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Is there anything that is on your wish-to-do-list?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 AM

I would love to get him on a roller coaster again. He would love it but I fear his legs and core strength may not be strong enough to hold him on (yet). That would go over well. lol! I would also like to go skydiving. he would probably love it. I just need to contact skydive city to see how they would deal with that, or if it's even possible.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 AM

I know some places have tandem jumps. I bet they could do something! WOO HOO!

If you go to Busch, there are rides that have the pulldown safety bars. I bet he could do that. I would not recommend Gwazi (too bumpy) or any of the water rides like Congo River Rapids, Stanley Falls or Tidal Wave. There is climbing in and out that probably be difficult.

I bet he could do Sheikra, Montu, and Kumba. Rhino Ralley would be a nice ride. There is no climbing in or out. It would be almost like getting into a car. There are no steps or climbing in/out. The lines tend to be long, later in the day. I would not wait more than 30 minutes for this ride. It can be bumpy and you are strapped in with a lapstrap. Come to think if it, he may have difficulty with the bumps. It tilts sideways briefly, then goes down a river. You are bounced around quit a bit.

The shows are really nice. I have not seen the 4-D show in a long time, but I thought it was kind of boring. The African show is suppose to be nice. They also have all kinds of animal shows that are nice.

Check out the Busch Gardens website for accessibility:

http://www.buschgardens.com/bgt2/Explore/BGT_AccessibilityGuide.pdf (broken link)

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Last edited by annaegel; 10-12-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay