U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 6,628 times

Advertisements

Ok this is starting to get old prolly for all of you however I will be moving from NY to Tampa within 60 days I have been down twice to scour the area and I'm a 27 year old single male who likes to have a good time so I plan on moving to the Ybor city area (I want to be within walking distance). Now my concern is I looked at reviews of the complexes near Ybor city and it seems to have a lot of crime. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment my price range will be near $650-$730. Everytime I Google search for complexes there just doesn’t seem to be a lot in that area. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,857,710 times
what kind of 27 year old single guy? straight professional? Ybor IS NOT for you. Gay and/or punk rockish? then Ybor is for you.

I am a 26 year old straight male professional, I wouldnt move to Ybor if someone put a gun to my head. also, I am from Long Island, born and raised. You need to provide more info about yourself so we can better point you in the right direction. 650-780 is enough to at least get you into an alright complex, barely. Do you have a job lined up?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,610,208 times
The closest apartment rental complex near Ybor would be Seaport Channelside. The Quarter at Ybor used to be rental but went condo a few years ago, there are rentals in there from private owners and realtors. If you want to live in Ybor, which is a pretty cool, funky, artsy place to live, you should seek out private condo/loft/townhome rentals in that area(Craigslist or Realtor). Just stay south of Interstate 4 and West of 22nd Street. I have a few friends that live there and LOVE it, and I love visiting them there, but for me at this time in my life not a choice to live there...movies, restaurants, cafes, live music, clubs, bars, art galleries, theater, streetcar to take you downtown and Channelside.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 PM

4,070 posts, read 9,030,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
what kind of 27 year old single guy? straight professional? Ybor IS NOT for you. Gay and/or punk rockish? then Ybor is for you.

I am a 26 year old straight male professional, I wouldnt move to Ybor if someone put a gun to my head. also, I am from Long Island, born and raised. You need to provide more info about yourself so we can better point you in the right direction. 650-780 is enough to at least get you into an alright complex, barely. Do you have a job lined up?

I am around your age and also a regular guy... I do like to go out and if there were 2-3 decent bars in a reasonable walking distance, that would be great. Any areas you would reccommend in/around Tampa or St. Petersburg for a normal mid 20s guy from NJ?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am around your age and also a regular guy... I do like to go out and if there were 2-3 decent bars in a reasonable walking distance, that would be great. Any areas you would reccommend in/around Tampa or St. Petersburg for a normal mid 20s guy from NJ?
Mid 20s guy, and walking distance to 2-3 decent bars?? Look at SOHO/Hyde Park area of South Tampa, Channelside/Harbour Island area of downtown, downtown Tampa, downtown St. Pete, Ybor City.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:32 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,131,655 times
Have you looked in Brandon? Crime isn't as bad really-but crime has no address. Also, it's only about 15 mins. or so south and if you take SR 60, you run right into it--you can def. find an apartment here for that price, a nice one. If not, Hyde Park is a nice area...

Last edited by mquintana; 10-22-2009 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 6,628 times
I do have a job yes, I am making this move right getting things in line before I move. I saw Mobley Park any suggestions on this? I am a single straight guy who doesn't want to drive home drunk or have an expensive cab ride lol so I was looking for close to Ybor city because it seemed fun and it wasn't far from Channelside

Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 PM

alright, here are my issues with Ybor (keep in mind, this is my hang up, everyone is different):

The people who live there tend to be stuck in a place in life i refer to as "19". Content with bartending or waiting tables, or not working at all. There tends to be a lot of drugs (in comparison to other parts of tampa) and the bars are usually smokey and old. The crowds usually tend to be people who look reletively unemployed, lots of pericings, poorly dressed. the ages rand from vietnam era hippies to 18 year old punk rock lesbians. I think that everyone is always one bad night of waiting tables away from being homeless. Ybor is Tampa's gay hub, and while I have no problems whatsoever with that lifestyle, I have no desire to hang out in a gay bar. All of the bars are 18+ so you get a lot of nonsense

The outskirts of Ybor tend to be crime filled and dirty. I remember when I moved here a year ago, I saw a special on bay news 9 about how bad Ybor was. As a 6'2" 200 lb ex military combat veteran i thought to myself "i am going to check it out, why not." when i got there, i couldnt even bring myself to park my brand new car in Ybor.

I have given Ybor a chance. I have had lunch there quite a bit. It is nice during the day time and I have met some great people, but I have nothing in common with them as a professional focused on career and education. but i have no reason to be there at night. I would rather enjoy a beer in westshore, down town, or hyde park.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
alright, here are my issues with Ybor (keep in mind, this is my hang up, everyone is different):

The people who live there tend to be stuck in a place in life i refer to as "19". Content with bartending or waiting tables, or not working at all. There tends to be a lot of drugs (in comparison to other parts of tampa) and the bars are usually smokey and old. The crowds usually tend to be people who look reletively unemployed, lots of pericings, poorly dressed. the ages rand from vietnam era hippies to 18 year old punk rock lesbians. I think that everyone is always one bad night of waiting tables away from being homeless. Ybor is Tampa's gay hub, and while I have no problems whatsoever with that lifestyle, I have no desire to hang out in a gay bar. All of the bars are 18+ so you get a lot of nonsense

The outskirts of Ybor tend to be crime filled and dirty. I remember when I moved here a year ago, I saw a special on bay news 9 about how bad Ybor was. As a 6'2" 200 lb ex military combat veteran i thought to myself "i am going to check it out, why not." when i got there, i couldnt even bring myself to park my brand new car in Ybor.

I have given Ybor a chance. I have had lunch there quite a bit. It is nice during the day time and I have met some great people, but I have nothing in common with them as a professional focused on career and education. but i have no reason to be there at night. I would rather enjoy a beer in westshore, down town, or hyde park.
This is quite interesting how you see Ybor, and although I see some fo the same, I also see quite the opposite as well....my friends that live in Ybor are all professionals making well over six figures(law, financial services, medical, sales fields)...gay center of tampa??? im not so sure that a few bars on the west end of Ybor constitutes gay center of Tampa...but i say good for them and I hope they open more establishments as it typically brings money into the area....as far as all the bars are 18+, all of them??? really?? not the ones i go to down there...and there are soooo many choices of places to go, fo you want goth, its there, if you want rock, its there, if you want dance club, its there, if you want loungy, its there, artsy, etc...the only thing ive noticed is that it is a bit wild and crazy after midnight on the weekends, but it could be me getting older....there are excellent eateries/cafes/coffee shops, and CIGAR shops!! its different, funcky, quirky, diverse...nnot for everyone, but you have to admit that there is definitaly something there for everyone....

Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
This is quite interesting how you see Ybor, and although I see some fo the same, I also see quite the opposite as well....my friends that live in Ybor are all professionals making well over six figures(law, financial services, medical, sales fields)...gay center of tampa??? im not so sure that a few bars on the west end of Ybor constitutes gay center of Tampa...but i say good for them and I hope they open more establishments as it typically brings money into the area....as far as all the bars are 18+, all of them??? really?? not the ones i go to down there...and there are soooo many choices of places to go, fo you want goth, its there, if you want rock, its there, if you want dance club, its there, if you want loungy, its there, artsy, etc...the only thing ive noticed is that it is a bit wild and crazy after midnight on the weekends, but it could be me getting older....there are excellent eateries/cafes/coffee shops, and CIGAR shops!! its different, funcky, quirky, diverse...nnot for everyone, but you have to admit that there is definitaly something there for everyone....
There is something for everyone. I guess I just see it differently. I might have to take the opportunity to visit more places. All I have really seen is that strip where there are some clubs/green iguana/couple of bars. Again, I did state that it was just my opinion, I have only lived here for a year and I am still learning. I should have been more specific about the 18+. i was under the impression all of the clubs were 18+.

I still dont know if I would live there, I would have loved it when I was 20, now I am going on 27 and I am moving to westshore and will probably spend my evenings at blue martini or something else over at the mall, or in soho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or