U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:04 PM

254 posts, read 526,031 times

Advertisements

What were they thinking when they planned this road? I-75 southbound is three lanes, but the exit ramp to I-4 East or West is only a single lane. This means almost daily, the Orlando bound traffic congestion backs up and clogs that one exit lane, even for people heading west to Tampa. Not only that. because that one little exit lane is supposed to weave two major beltways together, it just gets hopelessly backed up no matter what.

I would never even venture out there if New Tampa was somehow connected to I-275 (you, know, like to the rest of the city). But since I must commute between New Tampa and South Tampa daily, I'm forced to use the ridiculus I-75/-I-4 route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,290,187 times
I think they did try to build some sort of 75/275/New Tampa connector, but neighborhood associations and NIMBY-type groups shut it down. It appears on some older maps, but I think the project has been deleted from the FDOT agenda.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 AM

20 posts, read 42,457 times
Default yep

there are even stubs where the veterans exwy ends at dale mabry, hinting that the road was supposed to go further east, connecting with 275.

Lutz killed it...and now they can barely get out of their driveways w/all the traffic.

Tampa's roads are almost an embarassment for the size metro we are!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:18 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,290,187 times
The best part is...some Lutz residents want to revive the expressway after realizing that speed tables just don't cut it.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 AM

26,440 posts, read 39,978,203 times
It probably has to do with the year it was build and the amount of cars back than....

Since the Bruce B. Downs exit was changed last year and this year the St. Rd 54 exit and lanes are widened, the might start with the I-4 exit when this part is over with....

Old 10-24-2009, 04:57 PM

254 posts, read 526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It probably has to do with the year it was build and the amount of cars back than....

Since the Bruce B. Downs exit was changed last year and this year the St. Rd 54 exit and lanes are widened, the might start with the I-4 exit when this part is over with....

That'd be great if it happened, but I won't hold my breath.

Speaking of widening BBD, I read that the BBD/56 intersection (right at the new Saw Grass Mills Mall) is one of the biggest in the state. If you look at it, it is eeeenormous - like 10 lanes going east-west. Once they re-do BBD, the north-south will probably be just as wide. Amazing when you consider that the site was a rural wetlands just 18 years ago when I moved here. Now, it's all paved over. It happened so fast, the poor cranes who inhabit the area now wander dangerously along busy, polluted roads. The should've named the area New Jersey Tampa. There's nothing 'new' about it. The same old over-development mindset that has congested the Northeast was transplanted right down here.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,186,945 times
I hate that exit...it's always backed up!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 PM

17,162 posts, read 21,140,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk33615 View Post
there are even stubs where the veterans exwy ends at dale mabry, hinting that the road was supposed to go further east, connecting with 275.

Lutz killed it...and now they can barely get out of their driveways w/all the traffic.

Tampa's roads are almost an embarassment for the size metro we are!

They certainly are. There is no advance notice, a lane becomes an off ramp on the 275. No advance notice on the highways, unless you know where you're going it is trial by error.

Good luck in downtown Tampa trying to find signs for the highways like the 275. They are poorly placed. One is actually blocked by a tree....LOL.

I have never seen a downtown area in any American city that fails to have properly placed signs like Tampa.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:22 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,889,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
They certainly are. There is no advance notice, a lane becomes an off ramp on the 275. No advance notice on the highways, unless you know where you're going it is trial by error.

Good luck in downtown Tampa trying to find signs for the highways like the 275. They are poorly placed. One is actually blocked by a tree....LOL.

I have never seen a downtown area in any American city that fails to have properly placed signs like Tampa.
It's rather simple if you want to go through Tampa you stay in the center lanes. If you want to get off on an exit well, you use the outer lanes. There are signs all over the place on 275 that clearly show how to get on I-4, I-75, Downtown Tampa, you name it. It's so simple I could do it blindfolded.....now the transplanted Nawtheners, that's another story, lol.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-27-2009 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: removed embicile... too much like a personal attack

Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 PM

2,637 posts, read 11,134,537 times
Quote:
It's rather simple if you want to go through Tampa you stay in the center lanes. If you want to get off on an exit well, you use the outer lanes. There are signs all over the place on 275 that clearly show how to get on I-4, I-75, Downtown Tampa, you name it. It's so simple I could do it blindfolded.....now the transplanted Nawtheners, that's another story, lol.
When you are already in downtown Tampa it can be difficult to find your way back out. Signs will lead you down a one-way steet, but then you don't see any more signs, or they are so faded you can't read them. You wind up in a sketchy area of Ybor, or dumped onto Bayshore Blvd. headed the wrong way. I grew up in central Florida and have lived in Tampa for more than 15 years, but I always get lost trying to get out of downtown because the signage truly sucks.

The Veterans is similar, they change the off-ramp configuration almost daily. Try to follow a GPS and wind up in the drink.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-27-2009 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: edited quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or