U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 PM

42 posts, read 157,555 times

Advertisements

I'm completely regretting my decision to register at HCC this semester! This is the worst school I've ever experienced and would advise anyone planning to attend here to NOT waste their time!!! Initially, I thought it was only the Dale Mabry Campus that was difficult to deal with, so I decided to try out the Ybor Campus and now I've learned that there is no difference. The staff at HCC does not have a coherent understanding of the processes and procedures for their policies and ultimately cause students more problems due to their incompetence with giving out inconsistent information. In addition, NO ONE ever answers the phones so in order to receive an answer you have to go there directly to wait in line for hours. Consequently, my paperwork is in chaos because of HCC staff members negligence! Good riddence!

Could someone please help me and advise me if SPC is any better??? I'm willing to drive from S.Tampa to St.Pete in order to attend a better school. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,867,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungrl View Post
I'm completely regretting my decision to register at HCC this semester! This is the worst school I've ever experienced and would advise anyone planning to attend here to NOT waste their time!!! Initially, I thought it was only the Dale Mabry Campus that was difficult to deal with, so I decided to try out the Ybor Campus and now I've learned that there is no difference. The staff at HCC does not have a coherent understanding of the processes and procedures for their policies and ultimately cause students more problems due to their incompetence with giving out inconsistent information. In addition, NO ONE ever answers the phones so in order to receive an answer you have to go there directly to wait in line for hours. Consequently, my paperwork is in chaos because of HCC staff members negligence! Good riddence!

Could someone please help me and advise me if SPC is any better??? I'm willing to drive from S.Tampa to St.Pete in order to attend a better school. Thank you.

I couldnt agree more. I emailed the VA rep twice with no response at the Brandon Campus. I am taking courses at the Ybor Campus, my English Comp 2 professor got changed week two of the course, but the new professor cant meet at the times the class enrolled for, now the class is being extended up to 3 weeks past the DEC 14th end of semester so we can attend shorter classes to meet the new professors needs.

To make matters worse, I am paying out of state rates (far more expensive then USF in state rates) and I STILL couldnt get in touch with the VA office regarding the money I have to pay out of pocket that the VA wouldnt cover. I ended up getting in touch with someone at the Dale Mabry campus, she said I can bring my stuff down to her and she will work with me.

Lastly, the Brandon VA counselor tried to convince me to take less credits then I wanted to enroll for. I enrolled for 12, she was trying to get me to take one less class because that is all I needed to get a full monthly stipend from the VA for attending school, what she didnt realize is that my benifits would run out before I complete my degree if I took her advice. Against her reccomendation, I am taking 12 credits hours. Some counselor, huh?

Wish I knew more about SPC. I am unfortunately not willing to drive there. 1 more year and I will transfer to UT or USF.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,178 times
Default Welcome to dealing with college/university life!

I lived in Tampa from 2003 - 2008. Although I did not attend H.C.C., I have attended other colleges/university in another part of the country. For whatever it is worth, you are going to find this problem at every college/university. What I suggest you do is for each department you deal with, find two or three people that you feel are qualified at their jobs. Get their names, telephone numbers & e-mail addresses and deal only with them. If you come across someone that is indeed incompetent, still get what information you can from them and their names. Then, if you are talking with them face-to-face ask them if you can talk to their immediate supervisor. If you are talking with them over the telephone just say thank you and hang up. Call back 15 - 30 minutes later and just ask to speak to a supervisor and explain what just recently took place. Believe me, supervisors want to know when incompetency is taking place. I do not know if you work or not; but, it may be worth taking one whole day and going down to the campus and meeting with those individuals - even for just 10 mins. - in order to establish a professional relationship. You are now dealing with people at the college level. You have to think of a way to work within the system and yet get what you want out of it. I'll give you one example of a problem that I ran into at a college/unversity I attended. I am an English speaking student; however, two of my instructors had accents. I could not transfer to another section of the same class because of my schedule so there was only one other possibility. I spoke to both of my instructors and explained to them that I was having difficulty understanding them because of the language barrier. I asked them if I could bring a tape recorder to class to tape the lectures. Both instructors agreed to my request; and in fact they announced in the classroom that they had no objections to any student bringing in a tape recorder. I could not solve my problem one way; however, I solved it another way. You may very well run into this problem there in Tampa because I know that there is a high concentration of Spanish speaking individuals who live there. If you go to St. Petersburg, you most likely will run into the same kind of problems or a different set of problems. Another alternative you might think about is attending USF or U of T; however, their tuition is going to be higher because they are universities. Here is another situation I had at the university level and how I handled it. I had an instructor who was openly racist against whites (which I am white); and the instructor did break a rule that instructors and students are not to mix outside of the classroom (the instructor and students he mixed with were all african-american). When my final grade came out, I had to appeal my grade to the Dean of the Department of the University I was attending. I appealed the grade by showing documentation of grades obtained prior to this class to show my capabilities. I also did not hold back on the fact that the instructor was mixing with the students outside of class; however, I made it a point of not bringing up the racial issue as all I was concerned about was my grade. A college/university education is more than just getting the grades! You are having to learn to deal with various types of people. Good luck! I know you can make it because I have made it through the same situation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungrl View Post

Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,143,150 times
I attend SPC myself. I chose not to go to HCC because my friend also had a bad experience. I enjoy SPC. They have always been pretty pleasant. The only pitfall is it's hard to get ahold of an advisor (over the phone), so it's best to email them when needed...but overall, my experience has been fine. I have been attending SPC for 3 semesters now...all online courses since I live in Brandon...

Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,143,150 times
Oh, and I think the Clearwater campus would be closer. The Seminole campus is nicer, but location wise-Clearwater is closer...

Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,867,630 times
tonight they held octoberfest at the Ybor campus. I dont know where the thousands of children came from. DJ blasting hip hop all night. it was so bad in class I recorded the ruckus that completely disturbed the class. I plan on sending the recordings to the dean. The professor didnt seem to mind. she scoffed down a funnel cake while she lectured.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Oh, and I think the Clearwater campus would be closer. The Seminole campus is nicer, but location wise-Clearwater is closer...

Thanks for the info mquitana. I visited the St. Pete campus and it is much nicer than HCC. The staff was very helpful and seem to run a tight ship there!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:28 PM

Thanks for your insight L. D. Williams. I'm learning that I need to be my own attorney, taking names, documenting evidence and proving my case to people who don't really give a rats (i.e. Dean of Student Services).

Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I couldnt agree more. I emailed the VA rep twice with no response at the Brandon Campus. I am taking courses at the Ybor Campus, my English Comp 2 professor got changed week two of the course, but the new professor cant meet at the times the class enrolled for, now the class is being extended up to 3 weeks past the DEC 14th end of semester so we can attend shorter classes to meet the new professors needs.

To make matters worse, I am paying out of state rates (far more expensive then USF in state rates) and I STILL couldnt get in touch with the VA office regarding the money I have to pay out of pocket that the VA wouldnt cover. I ended up getting in touch with someone at the Dale Mabry campus, she said I can bring my stuff down to her and she will work with me.

Lastly, the Brandon VA counselor tried to convince me to take less credits then I wanted to enroll for. I enrolled for 12, she was trying to get me to take one less class because that is all I needed to get a full monthly stipend from the VA for attending school, what she didnt realize is that my benifits would run out before I complete my degree if I took her advice. Against her reccomendation, I am taking 12 credits hours. Some counselor, huh?

Wish I knew more about SPC. I am unfortunately not willing to drive there. 1 more year and I will transfer to UT or USF.
Craigm1841 the drive to SPC isn't too bad, maybe about 20mins (from S.Tampa that is), mquintana brings up a good point with SPC having online classes. Well, whatever you decide to do goodluck in dealing with HCC. I'm not giving HCC a chance to mess up the process of me transferring to UF a year from now.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:37 AM

286 posts, read 919,441 times
I go to the Ybor campus. The other ones suck but I like this campus, for the location obviously. The school itself is still sort of boring but people are much friendlier here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or