Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 AM

473 posts, read 539,735 times

Advertisements

g.roman created a new account just to troll and bash Tampa......very obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,228,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Dude, this thread is NINE YEARS OLD. I am sure the OP made a decision by now lol.
Might be the all-time CDF record for bumped thread. Re:SD....costly to live, from what I understand.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:57 PM

335 posts, read 404,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
If you love San Diego and are getting along well there, I would stay put. Tampa is NO WHERE NEAR anything as cool as San Diego - you will be greatly disappointed. I am a Tampa native - there are some good points to Tampa, but again - will not hold a candle to San Diego.

JMO
Why is that please

Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 PM

335 posts, read 404,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abergen28 View Post
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it! I am moving tomorrow and I am looking forward to the new adventure! I think South Tampa will be great! I got a place on Harbour Island..and you are right it is what you make of it!!!!!!!!!!!
i like it here you will enjoy!

Old 03-22-2016, 03:12 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,376,156 times
A big difference is San Diego is so hilly and mountainous. Florida is flat as a pancake, this detail can make Florida very difficult for people from hilly and mountainous areas. You don't appreciate the hills (and vistas those hills bring), until they are totally gone. San Diego is brown a lot of the year and the water very cold all 12 mos. I think Tampa Bay area has better weather from mid Nov to late April and SD better weather from May to early Nov. Florida much greener. lusher, more tropical landscape. SD beaches have the crashing surf which is pretty to look at (I was unimpressed with the flat water in the Gulf beaches, but I like the sand). San Diego has a bit of a higher end more hip feel, Florida can feel a little "lower end" (think mullets, mustangs and camaro's - LOL - semi joking here...this is an exaggeration of course, but has some truth - and more older folks there vs. SD.). I say "higher end" because I can't think of a better way to put the overall "feel" of the area. Florida in general just feels a bit lower end in many ways, of course it varies greatly neighborhood to neighborhood in both areas, but talking averages here . Tampa Bay area has cheaper rents, lower house prices, and no state income tax. San Diego has excellent hiking with 6,500 foot mountains only 45 min away. San Diego has a very agreeable 12 mos climate. Florida is great in the late fall to spring, but to me it is way too hot/humid in summer. San Diego does not have a lot of bugs, snakes or mosquitoes. San Diego has nice dramatic cliffs many times as the back drop to it's beaches, Tampa Bay area is all very flat. San Diego you have quick access to coastal beach, mountain and desert climates and terrains. Florida you do not have that type of variety. Spring training in the Florida gulf coast cities is a nice thing for baseball fans. The FL gulf coast has a much larger snow bird retiree crowd and spring break crowd than SD gets.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:32 AM

383 posts, read 340,612 times
ctr88
Have you been to both places? Your comparing is nice, thanks! What about traffic, jobs, rent fee ets? Aslo i would like to know about people`s behavor? which city has an educater people? altought i`ve never been neither SD nor Tampa, SD seems is better to grow up the children...

Old 03-22-2016, 09:18 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,249,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
ctr88
Have you been to both places? Your comparing is nice, thanks! What about traffic, jobs, rent fee ets? Aslo i would like to know about people`s behavor? which city has an educater people? altought i`ve never been neither SD nor Tampa, SD seems is better to grow up the children...
I was born and Lived in SoCal for most of my life, and in SD County twice. IF you ca afford it SD could be better overall, though each persons needs and family needs can change that. CA and SD are not paradise at all. Best thing is very low humidity after that the landscape may or may not appeal or matter. If you like swimming in the ocean FL is wayyy better. Things to do, maybe better in SD, but I see a lot to do in FL as well, so it may depend on what matters the most to you. I left CA because of the taxes, crowding, cost of living, traffic and seeing no end in sight of any of these. I am now considering moving to FL and will be in the Tampa area next month. While I do not love humidity, there are many things I prefer about FL over CA though again there is good and bad in FL as in CA. For overall COL FL is very good and still leaves money to do things as a family.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:01 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,160,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
A big difference is San Diego is so hilly and mountainous. Florida is flat as a pancake, this detail can make Florida very difficult for people from hilly and mountainous areas. You don't appreciate the hills (and vistas those hills bring), until they are totally gone. San Diego is brown a lot of the year and the water very cold all 12 mos. I think Tampa Bay area has better weather from mid Nov to late April and SD better weather from May to early Nov. Florida much greener. lusher, more tropical landscape. SD beaches have the crashing surf which is pretty to look at (I was unimpressed with the flat water in the Gulf beaches, but I like the sand). San Diego has a bit of a higher end more hip feel, Florida can feel a little "lower end" (think mullets, mustangs and camaro's - LOL - semi joking here...this is an exaggeration of course, but has some truth - and more older folks there vs. SD.). I say "higher end" because I can't think of a better way to put the overall "feel" of the area. Florida in general just feels a bit lower end in many ways, of course it varies greatly neighborhood to neighborhood in both areas, but talking averages here . Tampa Bay area has cheaper rents, lower house prices, and no state income tax. San Diego has excellent hiking with 6,500 foot mountains only 45 min away. San Diego has a very agreeable 12 mos climate. Florida is great in the late fall to spring, but to me it is way too hot/humid in summer. San Diego does not have a lot of bugs, snakes or mosquitoes. San Diego has nice dramatic cliffs many times as the back drop to it's beaches, Tampa Bay area is all very flat. San Diego you have quick access to coastal beach, mountain and desert climates and terrains. Florida you do not have that type of variety. Spring training in the Florida gulf coast cities is a nice thing for baseball fans. The FL gulf coast has a much larger snow bird retiree crowd and spring break crowd than SD gets.
You forgot SD has a huge issue with drug trafficking tunnels popping up everywhere(watched a documentary the other day on that). The drug cartel is drilling from Tijuana to SD city limits. If you are single maybe it's no factor, however, if you're raising kids, it's something to think about.

Flat as a pancake? Less wear and tear on cars. SD/South Cal to me are largely brown and arid(pretty undesirable) (though the further south I've been, is Orange County). Water too cold in SD for yr round activities, unless in a 5mm wetsuit. I have a friend, he dove in July in SD; he said he froze his arse off(wore a 7mm wetsuit). Tampa Bay has more nature diversity (if you have a boat there's abundant reefs near by, excellent fishing too, less polluted waters). In SD you have kelp! Snakes and other creatures are all part of a healthy ecosystem.

Also, INMO SD and Southern CA appears overall less polished/clean(lots of graffiti, even on Google street you can see DT SD having graffiti here and there. Tampa Bay is one of the few places with virtually no chicken scratch graffiti. In 45 mins you're in theme park territory in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay