U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,676,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman4711 View Post
thats definitely news I can use!

And why would you recommend "top of the world" Clearwater???

Sounds like you are a great source...
You're probably not old enough to live at Top of The World. Ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:45 AM

461 posts, read 362,012 times
No one mentions that the pay rate in this area is low, much lower then areas around Denver.
Cab driving jobs are always open. In talking to several different cab drivers recently all older white guys they work 6 days a week, 12 hr + shifts and after expense hope to average a profit of $40.00 bills a day. They have to pay for the lease, up keep, etc so what you make is hardly what you take home, and you file the tax's as a contractor after this.
A friend who was a form carpenter building waste water treatment plants in Pinellas, hard work - made about $24 K a yr working 50-60 hr 5/6 day a week. Moved to Las Vegas doing the same hard work in rough climate made 100 k + the first year (of course Vegas has crashed now but so has the low end service industry here)
All trades electrician, plumber, Class A driver, carpenter traditionally pay lower wages and lack benefits that other southern Cities such as Atlanta or Charlotte have.
Part time jobs here are King, full time are rough even in better economic times. Servers, room cleaners, lawn mower men, these are the jobs that rule the majority.
Commission, creative ways for employers not to pay overtime or offer any benefits are popular & common for firms that do not do so in other states because they can't get people or state law.
As a employer laughed and joked with me once "Part of your salary is the weather". The constant flow of new skilled and unskilled workers flowing down I-75 & I-95 coupled with weak laws proof this the case.
Realistically you need to fully research the job market and your plans first before thinking about how decent the housing market it is unless your kitty is filled up for the long haul because medical, insurance (home owners ) is very hard to get and very expensive, as well as basic needs such as food, gas, utilities are equal or higher then more affluent per capita comparable areas around the County.
When you visit take a look at the local McDonalds and realize how many middle agedd & senior citizens are working at the Golden Arches and if you travel to Atlanta or Washington, or back to CO say Denver wonder why there are less working for $7.24 a hr. Some may want to, some may be adding to part time but a lot here have no choice. Its the only game in town, even when the economy was moving.
White collar work is not what the economy is about in the majority this is a land where you come with money through retirement, you are transferred from another state with current employer, you self employ as mentioned or you are lucky, but the majority are in low wage nowhere service industry jobs or low wage skilled traded, that should be higher wage. I stress the cost of living outside of housing equals many other states even without a state income tax. Florida currently ranks at the middle of the pact at about 24 -26th in expense for living out of the 50 states.
The area is very nice & there is a lot to do. Why a 50 yr old man would want to consider moving into a 55 ( You are to young) or up area is beyond me and even at 55 you are to young those things are loaded with people considerably older than 55. There is plenty to do and clubs play the same disco music you had in the 70s, or Country, or Rock you make it sound as if at age 50 you need Lawrence Welk or Benny Goodman but have no fear if that is what you like there are plenty of senior actictives that cater to dances or socials where you can meet someone to think about the big band tunes of WWII.

But do not, and at the age of 50, it is doubly important to consider this to put yourself in a spot based on nice weather in January, because sleeping under a bridge is still cold here in Jan if you can't pay the rent or pay the Progress energy high rates (amongst the highest electric rates in the USA).
Research this stuff

Old 11-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Status: "question everything, and look up from your screen" (set 24 days ago)

177 posts, read 384,334 times
I used to live in Colorado (Denver area) So I get where you're coming from.

The weather is getting nice now. Lower humidity and clear blue skies.
It will stay nice for some time, so it's a great time of year. (You will love not having to scrape snow and ice from your car)

On the flip-side - It's really hot here for 5 months of the year.

Employment is bad right now. High-paying jobs are scarce.
Also - the overall pay scale is probably lower than you are used to in the Denver area. Sorry to say this, but this is what I've found. The Tampa Bay area employers' still think that sunshine pays the bills. (It does not.)

Areas close to the beach to rent. Yes - there are some good deals to be found. There are tons of rentals on CraigsList and other places that have 1-2 bedrooms for about $700-1200, depending on amenities, etc.

The market is wide open right now.

You are wise to rent before buying. Location is key. Find a job, then decide where to live.

As far as nightlife - there's lots to choose from. Beach life, South Tampa is fun, also (my favorite - Downtown St. Pete.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay