U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 PM

98 posts, read 156,373 times

Advertisements

hey there, a while back me and my mom moved to largo from pa for only about a month(90s) until we moved back. and im trying to remember stuff about it, and I found that largo seemed kind of ghetto, but maybe it was just me being used to where i lived in pa.

tell me, is it a ghetto? I mean I definitely saw some nice places, but I dont remember if it was in largo or not. What else can you tell me about largo?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,401,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
and I found that largo seemed kind of ghetto, but maybe it was just me being used to where i lived in pa. tell me, is it a ghetto?
That's its nickname - Larghetto. It's said that there are a couple of decent areas of it - I have not seen them though. They may exist. Could be a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" type of thing.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,855,871 times
The only bad places in Largo are Ridgecrest, High Point, and some of the neighborhoods North of West Bay up off of Clwr.-Largo Rd.

There's plenty of nice neighborhoods in Largo like the area west of Taylor Park down 8th Ave. SE to Indian Rocks Rd. and North to West Bay. The neighborhoods out by Largo City Hall near Highland Ave. are nice as are the ones off of Keene Rd. and Belcher Rd. Even the areas by Mildred Helms Elementery, downtown and Largo Middle are decent. It's not all ghetto.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:17 PM

792 posts, read 2,015,549 times
It doesn't matter where you live in Largo or Pinellas county for that matter. Your only a few blocks away from the hood.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:37 PM

80 posts, read 203,031 times
Default True,true, true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
It doesn't matter where you live in Largo or Pinellas county for that matter. Your only a few blocks away from the hood.
What he said.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
When I first moved to Tampa 3 years ago, I remember driving to the Largo area a couple times. Largo has its nice areas and it has its ghetto areas. Largo has some beautiful Parks...like Taylor park, Walshingham Park, and the Botanical Garden. The neighborhood that I liked most was just west of Taylor park. It's a middle class, older, established neighborhood with mature shade and palm trees, nice homes, nice lawns and it seemed to be quiet and peaceful. FYI, I guess Largo is alot like Westshore Palms. My area is middle class...5 blocks south lives the upper class and 5 blocks north lives the lower class! So, it all depends on exactly where you are in Largo to determine if it's ghetto or more middle class.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,187,290 times
Largo may have a few slummy areas, but they've never struck me as dangerous.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 PM

807 posts, read 2,822,062 times
When you see homes and businesses with bars on the windows through the whole neighborhood...that's a clue...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,515,546 times
Interesting thought, yet ive been driving all over the area since arriving here and haven't seen many businesses with bars over the windows...

A few gun shops which seem a little out of place but nothing that suggests ghetto..or at least the version ive seen a plenty back in CA.

Every place has it's share of interesting characters...

One thing which does stand out,.. People on their cell phones while driving.. this seems to be more common here than back home..hopefully the laws change that soon...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 PM

7,269 posts, read 9,401,862 times
si33, most everyone is going to defend the place they live. Largo is an area that can only be defended to a minimum. With the exception of the few decent folk that may live there, it is a white trash portal. [I'm white, hold the racist mumbo-jumbo] Have no idea about bars on windows, either they are not there or I have not made the extra effort to take notice when driving through. . .however, Largo is not exactly "crime central." It's just an undesirable area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay