U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2006, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 90,293 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate and have been interested in Tampa for some time now. I would enjoy very much living in the downtown atmosphere and was looking for any experiences or places of interest when it comes to apartments.

My roommate and I are both single, females, 23 and would like to enjoy the city but not spend a lot on living expenses. I have been looking for apartments for a while now and can not find anything pertaining to downtown living. Is there somewhere specific I can look? Also is downtown living a nice environment? Grand Rapids, MI is a smaller city but the atmosphere is great, friendly, entertaining and within walking distance to apartments/houses/etc.... and we are kind of hoping to find something similar - but warmer

Any links or names of apartments are appreciated, and any other information on living downtown Tampa (or surrounding areas that may be better!). Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 02:46 PM

52 posts, read 227,066 times
I think tampa is horrible, the crime, congestion and cost of living are impossible !! Sorry i whish you would reconsider your choice of cities.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:53 PM

5 posts, read 90,293 times
lol, well feel free to add suggestions or to elaborate a little bit.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:10 PM

944 posts, read 2,765,619 times
There is nothing pertaining to downtown living because there really is none. Tampa's actual downtown is a vacuous dump. The parts of Tampa proper that aren't chitty are very expensive.

Downtown St. Petersburg sounds a little closer to what you want. It is slightly more walkable. The are no real "exact matches" to what you have up there. The "urban" lifestyle down here is not what people expect it to be.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:00 PM

3,728 posts, read 10,859,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salival
I am looking to relocate and have been interested in Tampa for some time now. I would enjoy very much living in the downtown atmosphere and was looking for any experiences or places of interest when it comes to apartments.

My roommate and I are both single, females, 23 and would like to enjoy the city but not spend a lot on living expenses. I have been looking for apartments for a while now and can not find anything pertaining to downtown living. Is there somewhere specific I can look? Also is downtown living a nice environment? Grand Rapids, MI is a smaller city but the atmosphere is great, friendly, entertaining and within walking distance to apartments/houses/etc.... and we are kind of hoping to find something similar - but warmer

Any links or names of apartments are appreciated, and any other information on living downtown Tampa (or surrounding areas that may be better!). Thank you!
to live downtown tampa will cost you alot. There are many new conds going up as donald trump etc. I would look into the new tampa area cross creek blvd, even land o lakes area. There was a big cond conversion which has now slowed. From my impression downtown tampa is nothing like downtown Boston. I also donot think beigh downtown alone is too safe.

judy

Old 07-22-2006, 04:07 PM

598 posts, read 1,534,714 times
Muggy has it right on the mark... there is nothing down there! Just bank buildings and such, nothing worth living down there for. Tampa really isn't like other cities that have a "downtown" where people walk and have fun, entertaining things to do. Why Tampa? Sounds like you're looking for something Tampa just doesn't have...

The housing costs are very high here. If you see a place that's cheap, it's most likely a part of town you wouldn't want to live. The crime is very bad as well, especially for a couple 20 something gals. Sorry it's not what you were hoping for.

Have you tried **** . com?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 42,677 times
Exclamation Salival please read

I am from grand rapids, mi, I moved to Tampa, Fl 4 1/2 years ago and it is NOTHING like GR. The cost of living here is through the roof and the pay does is less than GR. Right now I'm paying $615/mth for a 1 bd, 669 sq ft apartment in Town n' County (west tampa area) and it's a crappy place. If you're looking for something downtown - Harbor Island, a friend of mine lives there and pays $1080 for his 1 bd 600 sq ft apartment there. Car insurance is outrageous... I drive a 2002 4 dr sedan, I do not have any points or tickets on my license and I'm paying $167/mth for about 25% of the coverage that I had in GR.
The people here are NOT like they are in GR, they don't say excuse me if they accidently run into you, do not hold open doors and very seldomly will they say hello to you in passing. The reason I moved from GR was because I wanted a place less conservative and warmer, that's what I got but I was not prepared for people to be only concerned with themselves and ready to throw anyone under the bus to get ahead, nor was I prepared for the cost of living. I was told it was cheaper to live here, true we do not have city or state taxes to file like we do in GR but just every day costs are so high.
When I read your posting I had to respond being that I'm from GR and moved to Tampa. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I would be happy to help.

~Amy

Old 07-30-2006, 09:47 PM

27 posts, read 128,607 times
Summergal has it right on! I couldn't have said it any better, and I live in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:47 AM

124 posts, read 212,747 times
I would never live i Tampa. If you looking for a nice "downtown life" look at St. Petersburg. There's a lot more to do, downtown is actually very nice and the crime is low compared to Tampa.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:58 PM

165 posts, read 488,787 times
Smile Tampa living

I live in a St. Petersburg area, not Tampa. They say downtown Tampa isn't very nice BUT there has to be some decent areas. St. Petersburg is almost the same, only part of the downtown is touristy, can be expensive, and is a lot of fun plus close to everything. But the slums are not too far away. You may prefer a smaller city/town right next to St. Pete or Tampa. Places near downtown St. Petersburg include Gulfport, Pasadena, Kenneth City, and Pinellas Park. There are many fine neighborhoods IN St. Pete that are so close to downtown yet worth while to live. A little further, but nice places themselves and you can go to downtown St. Pete include Largo, Seminole, and Clearwater. Prices for a 1 bedroom apartment without including utilities can start at $500 a month and a 2 bedroom at maybe $650. A 2 bedroom around $700 should be quite acceptable. Water for 2 people can run around $90 every 2 months if not included in rent. Garbage service is usually included in rent. A small apartment might run $100 a month for electric in the winter--all electric no gas if you do not use a lot of heat. It could run around $175 or more in the summer if the air conditioner runs constantly. Basic cable is around $50 a month and telephone service is around $30 local and $60 unlimited long distance plus up to $20 for taxes every month. Entertainment comes in all price ranges from free to expensive. The cost of living is lower here, BUT salaries are lower. However, if you get decent paying jobs and there are 2 of you, you should have no problems affording this area. The more skills you have the better. They have booklets on rental apartments that can be found in some stores such as Winn Dixie Supermarkets and Walgreens Pharmacies. Also real estate agents are a fountain of information. Go to various cities on line for all kinds of info and check out internet apartment rental sites....you will get an idea of the market. If you live modestly in a working class to middle class area and spend reasonably on fun, then you should have a great time here. I hope this all helps...

Last edited by sami; 08-06-2006 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay