Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,088 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
Ive lived in a small town in Indiana my whole life. I will be moving to Tampa sometime towards the end of November. Ive done lots of research online about different areas but I would much rather talk to actual Tampa natives.

I am looking for an apartment or condo but cant decide in what area I want to live. Im athletic (personal trainer), like night life, coffee shops, Im a designer and writer so I want somewhere that inspires me. I like to shop and walk to places. So maybe downtownish? But without being there, Im unsure..
I like the idea of walking places so I would like to be close to a lot of things.

Id like to keep my budget for a place right around $900mo rent if I could. Open for debate though. I am pursuing a job that needs me in the Tampa area but I will be doing most of my work from home so the area that I pick is completely up in the air.

Coming for a small town with nothing to do, I want a complete turn around.
I appreciate your help and thanks for letting me have some of your time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,088 times
can anyone help me decide..
citrus park?
or
westshore?

I have found 2 apartments complexes that I like in both of these areas.

Citrus park is- 5 west apartments
Westshore is- Phillips International Drive

Old 11-19-2009, 04:10 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyAnn12 View Post
citrus park?
or
westshore?

Out of the two listed above, and your needs in the Original Post, Westshore-Phillips International Drive. I woyuld also suggest a drive down Howard Avenue from Kennedy Blvd to Bayshore Blvd and the neighborhoods surrounding that walkable area, Post has some Aprtments in the area, ask for specials. You will se many smaller type aprtments/melrose place type places, small apt buildings with for rent signs outside....Davis Islands aournd the Main Street area, Downtown's Channelside and Harbour Island area, although they may be more than $900, but you can ask.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 AM

515 posts, read 1,347,433 times
I'd suggest something in the SoHo or Hyde Park area. The Madison at SoHo condo complex usually has lots of rentals available on sites like craigslist and should be in your price range. It's within walking distance to all the good bars and restaurants in that area. That would be my suggestion.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Citrus Park is not a bad area but it is not walkable. There are a few strip malls and a large mall. I don't think it is what you describe. You might check out Carrollwood.. there are a few apts complexes that are near shopping but also on a busy hwy.

There are a lot of nice areas in S. Tampa, although not all are 'walkable' you can find what you are looking for there. Great place for young professinoal singles.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 67,604 times
Definitely Westshore if you are choosing between the 2, but I think you would really like the Soho district better.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyAnn12 View Post
citrus park?
or
westshore?

I am a 26 yr old single professional guy. I am moving into phillips intl drive in two weeks. I have been in Tampa for over a year and i LOVE westshore. there are a lot of young professional people over there. I think you would be happy there. You could live in soho, but it is a little more pricey. You dont get a lot for your money besides location. I would DEFINITELY choose westshore over citrus park. if you want more info about phillips, let me know, I have toured the property and just rented a 2/2.5 with a loft there.

The nightlife on Bay Street at the intl plaza mall, which is walking distance from phillips is second only to soho/hyde park. I chose to save money and i will drive the 3-4 miles to soho if I dont think Bay Street is gonna cut it! You can also walk to ocean prime, lee roy selmons and a few other places from phillips.

5 west is pretty close to phillips. i still consider that area westshore.

EDIT: I am actually driving over to 5 west for another person who is looking to move here, as I am going to the mall tomorrow anyway... I will provide some further insight tomorrow about 5 west for you as well.

From what I have read and seen thus far, both places are great. phillips is actually walking distance to a lot of entertainment, whereas 5 west isn't. still, if you are between the two, and nightlife is important to you, choose phillips. If nightlife reigns supreme, soho would be cool, but you aren't going to find a new, upscale, urban sophisticated apartment in your price range. Again, live in westshore, drive the 5 mins to soho.

Last edited by craigm1841; 11-23-2009 at 06:35 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Okay, drove past 5west tonight. the property is alright, the surroundings are pretty bad. it backs up to a used car lot and that part of hillsborough avenue is pretty crappy. There is a lot of lower middle class neighborhoods over there. The buildings back right up to the street, I WAS NOT IMPRESSED.

without a doubt, go to Phillips. that area of town (Intl Plaza/Columbus Dr/Westshore) is where you want to be. If my little sister were moving to town, I would much rather her live at phillips then 5west.

I promise, you won't be disappointed if you choose phillips over 5west. You would be VERY disappointed if you chose 5west over phillips.

I can elaborate some more if you still aren't sold! hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:55 AM

101 posts, read 427,471 times
Don't look anywhere else but WIREGRASS in NewTampa/Wesley Chapel.......state road 56 is the bomb!!

Old 11-25-2009, 04:44 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Don't look anywhere else but WIREGRASS in NewTampa/Wesley Chapel.......state road 56 is the bomb!!
Isn't Wiregrass the mall? Is there a Wiregrass apt complex? What on 56 makes it 'the bomb'?

I wouldn't recommend a newcomer to Tampa to rent out there. That area is more family oriented as I recall.

If 5West is off of Hillsborough it is not in Citrus Park especially if it is the one on Hillsborough right off of I275.. That area is more Seminole Heights

Last edited by Keeper; 11-26-2009 at 06:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay