Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,195 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to the Dunedin area, (the unincorporated part, near Countryside Mall) and I'm trying to find some sports leagues for my 8 year old son to join.

We homeschool, and he's in boy scouts, but we're looking for more. Are there any city teams near us? We'll take soccer, little league, basketball, anything. We went to the Dunedin Community Center when we first arrived, and signed him up for a summer camp, which is when we found out our address actually falls outside the incorporated part of the city - ie everything thru the Comm Center is going to cost an arm and a leg.

I'm hoping to find something soon, and not have to wait until spring/summer to join - any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 01:52 PM

807 posts, read 3,172,846 times
Dunedin Youth Soccer plays at the park on Virginia St. & Co. Rd. 1... Countryside Youth Soccer plays at the countryside complex on McMullen Booth Rd. just north of Countryside High School.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:58 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,167,905 times
Dunedin youth soccer has already started, but if you email them, he can probably join an established team. Fall ball is more competitive than spring. Countryside is the same way (any GYSA club will be).
Dunedin Little League has two seasons as well; their competitive season is spring, and fall is more laid back.

Dunedin Stirling Soccer Club

Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,013 times
If you live in unincorporated areas of the county, you can join a rec center but you can get a form to fill in to get a refund on rec fees that you may have to pay to join a soccer or other team. I know because we have done this for the last 10 years when we had to pay for our kids to play at another city location.
However, you will need to pay for a full rec card for other programs. Talk to someone at the local rec center that has been there a while and will know all about how that works.

There are some good soccer teams locally, if you want just laid back, then go with rec soccer at any of the big clubs. If you want club soccer that is very competitive there are plenty to choose from but they work out expensive but in line I guess with other comp sports, with all the travel/equip and so on.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:51 PM

792 posts, read 2,281,025 times
One of the best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu schools is right down the road from you. Edward De lima school.

Teach your kid something useful, that they will have the rest of their life. It might just save them someday.

It's a much better investment, than putting a ball in a hoop or bucket.

Most sports in school are pointless unless you have a realistic shot at going pro, which 99.999999999% of kids do not have.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
One of the best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu schools is right down the road from you. Edward De lima school.

Teach your kid something useful, that they will have the rest of their life. It might just save them someday.

It's a much better investment, than putting a ball in a hoop or bucket.

Most sports in school are pointless unless you have a realistic shot at going pro, which 99.999999999% of kids do not have.
I couldn't disagree more...

Youth sporting programs give children real world experience with social skills that they will have the rest of their lives. They learn to compete...to win and to lose gracefully. To be disappointed but not be discouraged. They learn that hard work has it's rewards. Any child who is able to use their athletic skills to gain a scholarship and further their education has achieved something that's NOT pointless.

Oh, and it can be a lot of fun, too...

Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 20,205 times
Tony Romo did an interview with ESPN this past summer. He said his parents exposed him to many different sports when he was growing up. He went on to say that if he had "specialized" in any one sport at a young age, he probably would have gotten burned out and never would have made it to the "bigs". There are many reasons to expose your kids to different sporting opportunities and let them decide which one they enjoy. And by the way, I don't think it's ever too early to teach kids about the enjoyment of participation!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:49 AM

154 posts, read 531,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

I kindly disagree as well. If the purpose of doing sports was only going pro, then nobody would do it because, as you say, the chance for any kid to becoming pro is virtually non-existent (statistically speaking).

Sport is fun, sport is critical for physical, psychological and mental development, sport teaches a lot of important skills, including responsibility, perseverance, dealing with adversity as well as gratifications.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 PM

792 posts, read 2,281,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
I couldn't disagree more...

Youth sporting programs give children real world experience with social skills that they will have the rest of their lives. They learn to compete...to win and to lose gracefully. To be disappointed but not be discouraged. They learn that hard work has it's rewards. Any child who is able to use their athletic skills to gain a scholarship and further their education has achieved something that's NOT pointless.

Oh, and it can be a lot of fun, too...

All of those things, except maybe the scholarships are taught by martial arts too. They have tournaments, they compete. They learn sportsmanship and the value of hard work.

But the big difference is that, if it's ever needed, they can use those skills to save their lives.

Your kid might be a great baseball player, but that's not going to do him much good when he's getting bullied or jumped on by other kids.

If we all lived in Mayberry , and crime was zero, i'd agree with you. But this is Florida and the schools around here are rough. Many parents have blinders on and are really out of touch with what goes on in schools.

Just this year, my kid who is in the 7th grade, has already gotten into 2 fights. Mainly because he doesn't take crap from bullies and he knows how to defend himself(3 years of martial arts training). He has been taught not start trouble, but also not to run either.

I guess it boils down to whatever you want for your kid.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Martial arts can be great. We have a son who practiced karate for years and learned some much needed self discipline.

You said, "Most sports in school are pointless unless you have a realistic shot at going pro, which 99.999999999% of kids do not have." If you stand by that statement, I think you're wrong.

Our son who took karate lessons (1 of 6 kids) is in the Navy now and has never had to rely on those lessons for self defense. Our daughter, who was a monsterously physical defensive soccer player, in spite of her pretty, petite, blonde physique, did use her 'skills' to fend off 2 black boys who suddenly pushed her up against a locker one day and started groping her. She proceeded to literally kick the s*** out of them. She was never bothered again.

I'm saying any sporting activity for kids is good. It sounds like you're saying only some are good.

By-the-way...my daughter got a full ride soccer scholarship and is now a PE teacher in a Pinellas Co. private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay