U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 AM
 
1,139 posts, read 2,857,735 times
Reputation: 790

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
It is interesting that you do see alot of people still crowding the restautuarants, bars, malls, movies, etc....i can only guess that those hit hardest by the recession/umemployment were not the ones out and about much?? I personally still dont know anyone that has been laid off, but I guess if you look at the figures, there are many out of work.
I can tell you..450 of us were laid off this year alone and I got extremely lucky in finding another job locally after couple months of looking. Was very close to moving to Jax or Sunrise but those plans have been put on hold.

We went to Macaronil Grill few weeks ago(after I got the 'new' job) and we also had a gift card(to pay) and it was unbelievable..we had to wait for a good 25 min and as we walked in, the place was packed..people were waiting to be seated.

There is definitely a class of people more wealthier in Tampa than the rest of us.

The only person suffering was the waitress(in her 40s) who said she lost her job at a restaurant(as it was closed) in Brandon and was commuting to Tampa for a job that doesn't pay minimum wage and rely on tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times
Reputation: 6009
Very well stated. Some people just judge everything. If it doesn't meet their standards, its a problem.



Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
To the OP & Seain........so you want to see all the unemployed out of the streets being homeless? and look terrible? would that make you feel better about Tampa?

The reason unemployment is so high in numbers IS BECAUSE of the construction industry! (including architects, project managers, etc) and THAT is because it was so VAST! and uncontrolled! probably all transplants from other states that came here during the housing boom thinking they'll make a killing!!!!!!!! (some did, some bite the dust of their own greed) as you can see, if you look at some of these homes you can see how "smart" the architects really were.......no storage in most of these homes, no parking and plenty of stupid HOA rules that make no sense!

I am SAHM and also work from home.....so....you WILL probably see me to the store in the middle of the day....big whoopy do! what about the snowbirds? it is pretty much winter everywhere up north now.....what about students at USF living at home? to save as they can't afford to live on their own anymore!? Here check out this article:
Goodbye jobs, hello mom and dad, say young adults - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_go_ot/us_boomerang_kids - broken link)

Also, I looked through my encyclopedias and have NOT seen a photo of how people should look in any of the following categories:

People driving company cars!
People who work OFF hours!
People working at fast foods!

I think it is highly offensive to judge people by how they look in respect to what they "might" be doing for a living!

I see a "huge step backwards" being made in our society's evolution.........we went from calling people "red necks" & "Blacks or worst" to now categorizing people by what they "might" be doing for a living! "grave yard shifts", "fast food people", "didn't look educated enough" are you SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am starting to think that all these posts naming and judging people this way MUST come from people who have no parents! grew up under a bridge or in cracktown or had parents who were just as ignorant and uneducated themselves..... which it is very scary! Now I am going to the store thinking there is some a** out there looking at me and thinking how come I am not at work!!!!!!!!

Dude.....This is still Florida, and Tampa is a city that IS in Florida, Florida is mostly known as a VACATION STATE!........have you been in Orlando in the middle of the day? the malls are full of stay at home moms to name one category, and that is because THANKS to the daycare fees, a LOT of people prefer to live on one income than PAY those fees which are out of this world! and if you have 2 kids you can definitely forget about it (middle class named here first, because high class has nannies)..........there are a ton of people who are visitors, who visit their families who LIVE here, a notary doing real estate closings, is a person who travels all day from closing to closing, they may stop between closings to get a few things...if they are parents and the kids are in school, hell you're going to see them in the store in the middle of the day between appts shopping because well, have you ever been shopping with KIDS?????????????? most parents would LOVEEEE to stick to the list when going shopping and not come back home with 10 extra items!

The "oddity" about Tampa is people like YOU! who wonder around a mall in the middle of the day judging people and wondering how come the mall is not EMPTY because all people should be at work somewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 AM
 
Location: South Tampa - Bayside West Neighborhood
1,824 posts, read 7,616,111 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
The "oddity" about Tampa is people like YOU! who wonder around a mall in the middle of the day judging people and wondering how come the mall is not EMPTY because all people should be at work somewhere!
Too funny, i almost spit my coffee out...HA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Florida
7,269 posts, read 9,397,886 times
Reputation: 6015
OP, eh, are you posting from Tampa. . or Avon Park??? Seriously now.

I am one of the many, countless "leisurely" individuals you speak of, yet, I am a business owner who is at her busiest while you are still sleeping all snug in your bed, getting my ducks lined up for the day. When I am out and about, I do not think that I am the lone star and the rest are unemployed or credit-rich. I figure they are folk amongst me who are either students, people done working or have a day off, self employed individuals who are reaping the rewards of their success, or SAHM's, etc. A mix of this, a bit of that. Just normal society. I do not have stinkin' thinkin' - I do not live in a world of doom, probably something that has helped me prosper and rise above any unexpected downfall whatsoever. I know a few people who had been laid off, but they picked it all back up and are now employed once again. In fact, a couple with better jobs than the last that they had. I do not live in a scrutinizing, negative, envious world like you do, I cannot relate to what you feel and see. In my world, things are moving along in an upward fashion, yet, I am aware of what is happening to a small percent of the population. I see and hear what is happening in the various corners of the world. CNN and Bay News 9 broadcasts in my home. Aside from donating locally and over-tipping wait staff, not much else I can do. People have to help themselves first. I have absolutely no sympathy for those who choose to be stagnant and lazy with palms up. Trust me, this economy is no excuse to be, in fact, the opposite, some people should be even MORE motivated than ever before.

When someone is in a state of financial distress, everything around them seems gloom and in question. Fact is, yes, the world is in a recession, but that does not mean that everyone is financially dented. In your world, they may be. . .

One of my businesses is recession-proof. I planned it that way, forewarned is forearmed. We're on the ball, savvy, and planners. I am not the only one, I am only one of hundreds of thousands of people. There are those who are "cans" and then there are "cant's." The one thing that annoys the hell out of me is when I see people who are feeling like the underdog scratching their head and behinds in wonder - thinking that everyone should be or is headed into a state of disaster, as they feel at the moment. If they are not, they are assumed of doing illegal activities? What a bunch of laughable fluff. Get off your butt and make things happen. Your life is only as successful as the ideas that you put forth into motion.

"Starting fraudulent businesses, taking the money and running?" - You're right, everything is a conspiracy. That must be it. I, too, saw that movie.

I bet you voted for NObama, didn't you. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times
Reputation: 6009
Some people only see gray and dark. Some people see bright sunshine and light. Obviously you and I are of the later group. They apparently were born and raised into a very strict society. They lived their lives under the rules of their society. Once they got to see how the rest of the world works, they can't function with it. Out of step. Out of step.



Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
OP, eh, are you posting from Tampa. . or Avon Park??? Seriously now.

I am one of the many, countless "leisurely" individuals you speak of, yet, I am a business owner who is at her busiest while you are still sleeping all snug in your bed, getting my ducks lined up for the day. When I am out and about, I do not think that I am the lone star and the rest are unemployed or credit-rich. I figure they are folk amongst me who are either students, people done working or have a day off, self employed individuals who are reaping the rewards of their success, or SAHM's, etc. A mix of this, a bit of that. Just normal society. I do not have stinkin' thinkin' - I do not live in a world of doom, probably something that has helped me prosper and rise above any unexpected downfall whatsoever. I know a few people who had been laid off, but they picked it all back up and are now employed once again. In fact, a couple with better jobs than the last that they had. I do not live in a scrutinizing, negative, envious world like you do, I cannot relate to what you feel and see. In my world, things are moving along in an upward fashion, yet, I am aware of what is happening to a small percent of the population. I see and hear what is happening in the various corners of the world. CNN and Bay News 9 broadcasts in my home. Aside from donating locally and over-tipping wait staff, not much else I can do. People have to help themselves first. I have absolutely no sympathy for those who choose to be stagnant and lazy with palms up. Trust me, this economy is no excuse to be, in fact, the opposite, some people should be even MORE motivated than ever before.

When someone is in a state of financial distress, everything around them seems gloom and in question. Fact is, yes, the world is in a recession, but that does not mean that everyone is financially dented. In your world, they may be. . .

One of my businesses is recession-proof. I planned it that way, forewarned is forearmed. We're on the ball, savvy, and planners. I am not the only one, I am only one of hundreds of thousands of people. There are those who are "cans" and then there are "cant's." The one thing that annoys the hell out of me is when I see people who are feeling like the underdog scratching their head and behinds in wonder - thinking that everyone should be or is headed into a state of disaster, as they feel at the moment. If they are not, they are assumed of doing illegal activities? What a bunch of laughable fluff. Get off your butt and make things happen. Your life is only as successful as the ideas that you put forth into motion.

"Starting fraudulent businesses, taking the money and running?" - You're right, everything is a conspiracy. That must be it. I, too, saw that movie.

I bet you voted for NObama, didn't you. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,755,838 times
Reputation: 2141
BTW not to mention all the people who have and take lunch breaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not everyone eats at their desk! or waits dinner at 8pm!

Last edited by Keeper; 11-25-2009 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: fixed sp breaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM
 
80 posts, read 202,954 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
the malls are full of stay at home moms to name one category, and that is because THANKS to the daycare fees, a LOT of people prefer to live on one income than PAY those fees which are out of this world! and if you have 2 kids you can definitely forget about it
Hell of a good point here. Let's not forget the SAHDs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 02:28 PM
 
Location: MI
1,068 posts, read 2,854,663 times
Reputation: 577
It's a myriad of circumstances. Some are self-employed, some are in sales with free time in between appointments, some work nights, whatever. Imo a pretty decent barometer of how the economy is doing is observing how busy the dollar stores are. I live in a very economically depressed area of MI and it seems within the last year or so the parking lot is usually full and the customer line is deep at places like Dollar General and Family Dollar, Save Alot. I normally don't even shop at those places if I'm making good money, I'll just get everything at a Publix or Albertson's type store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 PM
 
2,708 posts, read 4,386,011 times
Reputation: 2302
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
It's a myriad of circumstances. Some are self-employed, some are in sales with free time in between appointments, some work nights, whatever. Imo a pretty decent barometer of how the economy is doing is observing how busy the dollar stores are. I live in a very economically depressed area of MI and it seems within the last year or so the parking lot is usually full and the customer line is deep at places like Dollar General and Family Dollar, Save Alot. I normally don't even shop at those places if I'm making good money, I'll just get everything at a Publix or Albertson's type store.
yah, but the OP is not talking about dollar genaral and save alot. He/she is seeing a lot of people that appear to be in good shape with 60K and 100K worth cars. It also doesn't make sense to me when you can't even pay a day care or pre-school you would be driving that kind of cars, and hence those are stay at home mon and dads . But that's just me.

You could give argument on both sides. The underlying economy doesn't seem to support that. It is not out of the world to wonder why if that's what the OP is seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
 
16,992 posts, read 20,598,336 times
Reputation: 33956
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
yah, but the OP is not talking about dollar genaral and save alot. He/she is seeing a lot of people that appear to be in good shape with 60K and 100K worth cars. It also doesn't make sense to me when you can't even pay a day care or pre-school you would be driving that kind of cars, and hence those are stay at home mon and dads . But that's just me.

You could give argument on both sides. The underlying economy doesn't seem to support that. It is not out of the world to wonder why if that's what the OP is seeing.

That is what he was talking about....you do see a lot of people driving high end cars who are by no means professional workers.

Some of these topics go over certain poster's heads.

I did a little research and found out there has been a lot people coming from the Miami area up to the Tampa Bay area. Not people you would want living next door.

Let's face it drugs our big business. When you see a kid of 22 driving a high end car, and by their demeanor it is pretty clear they're not from a wealthy family...something is up.

Something doesn't add up when they have no formal education and carry themselves in a manner that shows they didn't grow up wealthy.

Where did the money come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top