U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:19 PM

289 posts, read 268,975 times
Default St. Pete Miscellaneous Questions

I'm going to be moving down to St. Pete in the next several weeks and have a couple of questions I haven't seen mentioned in other threads:

Water quality - as far as drinking goes, should I be saving myself the hassle and investing in a Brita system now or is the tap water decent? (33705 zip code)

Veteranarians - I have a (16 lb.) Birman mix cat that has a history of allergies and UTI's . I need a good vet, preferably one that would respond to a middle-of-the-night emergency if necessary; any recommendations?

Seafood Stores - Best place to buy fresh fish?

Define "business casual" for Florida weather. I'm from the Chicago area and I have a feeling the definition may be different, especially during the summer months in FL.

I'm sure I'll come up with other things but for now....any info is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 PM

210 posts, read 260,493 times
Water quality = Some don't like it but I have been raised on it and I drink it daily.

Veterinarians = Sorry cant help you here.

Seafood Markets = Not too familiar with them in St. Pete but Crabby Bill's in Indian Rocks Beach is decent.

Depends on what your work will consider it. It can be anything from collared shirts and slacks or t-shirts and jeans.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic. View Post
Water quality = Some don't like it but I have been raised on it and I drink it daily.

Veterinarians = Sorry cant help you here.

Seafood Markets = Not too familiar with them in St. Pete but Crabby Bill's in Indian Rocks Beach is decent.

Depends on what your work will consider it. It can be anything from collared shirts and slacks or t-shirts and jeans.

I guess the water question could be more of a personal preferance.

I have been to crabby bills when visiting and like it quite a bit; plus I like the area. My family always visited the islands and beaches between pass-a-grille and clearwater beach so I wouldn't mind a drive for good seafood out that direction. To me that whole area was always "st. pete" Guess now I'll have to learn the difference lol.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 PM

88 posts, read 217,372 times
"business casual " is the same here as anywhere else lol... khakis.. nice shoes..the shirt can be a short sleeved dress shirt or a polo shirt tucked in with the top button loose.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:57 AM

54 posts, read 93,147 times
Water - I've read in the past that St. Pete failed to file water quality documents with the EPA. That makes me suspicious.
Seafood - We used to buy from Trapman's Market, on Gandy near 4th St. North. They had a fire last year and I'm not sure if they rebuilt, but we always liked the quality and prices. The Fourth St. Shrimp Store has been recommended to me, but I haven't been there yet.
Vet - We go to Tyrone Vet Hospital on Tyrone Blvd. They're not open 24/7 but can direct you to an after-hours clinic.
Hope you enjoy St. Pete!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM

59 posts, read 131,068 times
Default Vets

I lived inthe Northeast section of St. Pete for 4 years and both my landlord and I, who had 4 cats between us, loved the folks at Haines Road Animal Hospital. Check out their website. Best vets that I have run across since my days in Syracuse.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 AM

214 posts, read 508,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Water quality - as far as drinking goes, should I be saving myself the hassle and investing in a Brita system now or is the tap water decent? (33705 zip code)
I'm not sure what water is like where you currently live, but I moved here (33707 zip code) a few months ago from NY.
The water is entirely different tasting.
I believe I will need a brita system; I cannot drink the H2O here.
It's a matter of personal taste.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 AM

80 posts, read 130,279 times
Water- Definately personal taste. I cook with it but don't drink it.

Vets- As someone mentioned, Haines Road A.H. Also in Northeast St. Pete, there is Noah's Ark A.H. Good care, and 24hrs. as well.

Seafood- Someone mentioned Trapmans and their fire. They haven't rebuilt. As far as I know, they haven't relocated either. There is however, another market almost right next to where Trapmans was. I believe it's called I.C. Sharks or something like that. I don't eat a whole lot of seafood, but I'm sure there is probably plenty more places.

A good place to go eat seafood is The Crab Shack on Gandy on the St. pete side of the bridge not too far east of 4th St.

Business casual- As someone else said, same thing as Chi. Only difference is, for several months of the year you'll be dripping with sweat from the house to the car, then the car to the office!

On the other hand, you won't have to wear a coat very often!

Old 12-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 AM

8 posts, read 17,906 times
Best place to buy sea-food? Go to the popular fishing spots and ask if anyone is selling fish :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay