Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,196 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short here goes...

By June 2010, I'll have hopefully around $5,000 to move from Minnesota to Florida and I am seeking the Tampa/Pinellas County area.

Will this be enough money for a month or two of a studio apartment (in a safe area) until I get a job?

I am into videography/photography and was wondering how much of a market is there for this?

Also how available are regular desk jobs etc and average pay rate?

Now directing our attention to the food cards, insurance etc... Are there any things that can get you qualified for these things ie, not enough money.

Also are there any colleges for nursing in the area or "tech schools" would be fine as well. . Please let me know, thank you.

Can anyone help me out here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,619 times
I have interes to work. im a teacher in my country. i live in a bronx. could u please help me how to fined a job, becouse i dont have anyone with me to tell me what to do. Im a barchelor in primary school. if u can tell me where tu go what can i work here.

thank you Blerina

Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times
Please don't move here until you have found a job. This will prevent you from having to apply for government assistance and being a drain on the system which is funded by my hard earned money.

If you need assistance to support a family while earning an education, then I commend you. otherwise I would like to be the first to invite you to stay right where you are.

Best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by USALiving View Post

By June 2010, I'll have hopefully around $5,000 to move from Minnesota to Florida and I am seeking the Tampa/Pinellas County area.

Will this be enough money for a month or two of a studio apartment (in a safe area) until I get a job?

I am into videography/photography and was wondering how much of a market is there for this?

Now directing our attention to the food cards, insurance etc... Are there any things that can get you qualified for these things ie, not enough money.

Also are there any colleges for nursing in the area or "tech schools" would be fine as well. . Please let me know, thank you.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM

161 posts, read 450,459 times
if your $5000 is for rent alone, and you look right, youll be able to pay for nearly a year of rent alone. apartments have iffy pricing though... for example, i pay $540 a month with water and cable included and im about ten minutes from downtown dunedin, the area i live in is extremely safe (i pay very close attention to the county-wide crime stats). compare, however, my friends who pay $900 (nothing included) for about the same place in feathersound, their neighborhood is just as safe and their apartment is the same quality level mine is. i have other friends who have a decent two bedroom in downtown st pete for $650, the neighborhood isn't as great, but its downtown, so you take what you can get. point is: shop around and you can find something nice for cheap, dont be tricked into thinking rent should cost 900 a month like some people in this city.

i have a professional photographer friend who works for a photography company as well as freelances, hes been able to make it through the recession... but just by the skin of his teeth. at one point he almost had to go live with family cause he had exhausted his emergency savings. he has told me several times that jobs are few and far between for him.

im in the graphics and writing fields and have been unemployed for many months, despite lack of trying (no really i have a great portfolio and resume, and ive been busting my a** to try to get something, anything). my general impression is that not even desk jobs are hiring, or the jobs are few and far between. even publix isn't hiring.

you're in luck with schools: ptec is an accredited technical school that is fairly decent for the most part, though they aren't very helpful with placement after finishing. however, nurses are in great demand here, so i seriously doubt you would have any problems at all finding a job within days of graduation. also st pete college has four year programs for nursing and dental assistant i believe.

if you have any other questions, just ask! and if you end up coming down, good luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,196 times
Well the $5000 would be for rent and food for awhile until we find a job and start building $$$ again.

Are there any jobs in Florida though seriously? Should I just finish school here then get a job in Florida for it? (ie nursing)

Also are there any parts of Florida that are cheaper than Pinellas County and that are decently safe?

How is videography/photography business in Orlando or the capital? Hmm

Old 12-11-2009, 08:45 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
"How is videography/photography business in Orlando or the capital?"
There is a LOT of competition in this field, so your work will have to REALLY stand out in order to get noticed....there are photographers at every corner...I am one too, however I am only sticking to my specialty due to time restraints.....however wedding photographers, portrait, there are sooooooooooo many it;s not funny. It almost seems like half the population here is a photog.

Can't speak for Orlando but generally however with soooooooo many attractions there you may find work in a theme park at least to get you through.......

Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 AM

161 posts, read 450,459 times
usaliving,

im with algia on this one: photographers are a dime a dozen in this metro, from what i can tell. there isnt much work right now, even during the busy season. i cant speak for orlando, but i cant imagine the situation is that much different. tally doesn't seem to be too welcoming to creative fields, but i cant speak for certain, as this knowledge is only gleaned from a few anecdotes.

there are few jobs in florida, and when there are jobs available, 100's if not 1000's of people send in their applications for that one position.

pasco county will be cheaper but more out of the way depending on your needs. also, pasco county has a... negative connotation to it, even though large parts of it are pretty decent and absolutely safe.

if you want to come down for school, come down. plenty of kids do it all over the country every year. if you can get the loans, youll be good and im sure by the time you finish youll be able to find a nursing job without much issue. keep in mind though that the colleges, if not ptec also, will be more expensive until you gain residency, i believe this takes 6 months, but i could be wrong and it could be a year. i think school is one of the few good reasons to up and move without much more of a plan.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 13,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USALiving View Post

Did you ever make the move to florida? was it what you thought? My husband I vacation in that part of Florida every year and throw around the idea of maybe moving...Just wondering.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 PM

10 posts, read 31,076 times
Do you support a family (children) or are you a single person?

Reason I'm asking, Food Cards aren't doled out like candy...and shouldn't be a source of $$ to rely on...
If you are destitute and rely on gov't assistance to "make it" in life, you shouldn't be contemplating a move to FL...you may do better staying where you are and stabilizing yourself.
Another thing to think of: if you apply for gov't assistance, they will ask you how much cash you have/bank account balance/value of assets (car, boat, house, etc)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay