U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You MUST answer
Yes 32 60.38%
They don't like yo kind 'round there...so go'on n'git! 13 24.53%
Not sure 8 15.09%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:08 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,224,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorra2 View Post
Yes it probably does. It also has a lot more crime. I've never heard anyone say anything nice about living in Miami. Most people say it's a crap hole. That's just what I've heard. I cannot speak from experience.

I completely agree. I'm a FL native and dont care for either to be honest, but I especially wouldnt want to live in Miami. Tampa has a lot of crime too, and was 2nd (only behind Miami) in road rage. I'm not a big fan of either. But If I were gay I'd go to Ft Lauderdale or somewhere where it's widely accepted. To be honest, if I were gay, I'd much rather go to Asheville NC than any place in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 AM

15,126 posts, read 31,032,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It depends on what you want. Tampa is mostly gay-friendly and the gay scene is pretty low-key. You can live your life and most people will leave you to it. If you just want to feel normal, Tampa could be just the ticket. If you want full scale debauchery and a very active, vibrant gay scene, you should go to South Beach instead.
Great advice ^^^. From time to time people ask this question about various cities. Here is what I think - I have gay/lesbian relatives, one lives in St. Pete, the other in the midwest. Both have lived in a lot of different cities, some known for having a large gay population, others not so much. Neither has suffered any major issues for being gay. Bottom line, as Tilli above said, if you are the type person who just lives your life minding your business you can live anywhere, keeping in mind larger metro areas are probably more accepting overall.

If you are the flambuoyant type who who is militant, in-your-face, and the "debauchery", you might want to pick a place like South Beach or Key West. Someone mentioned Asheville - sorry, but Asheville is no better or worse than any other town, they have a gay pop. but only right downtown and to the north. I met many homophobes there who told me where the "gay areas" are, and I should "stay out" of those neighborhoods.

We currently live in Sarasota which has a large populations of gays, I have many gay/lesbian friends here. In Tampa, Ybor area and Seminole Heights are areas that a lot of the gay/lesbian pop. live.

Bottom line, I think you can be very happy living here.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,224,248 times
Asheville is a good place for gays. Just like any other city, there's gonna be people and areas where people are not exactly accepted. But Asheville (per capita) is about a good of a place as you can go if you are gay. In fact, many visitors are shocked to see this in Asheville. I've never been told to stay out of any areas in Asheville due to the gay population.

Buy anyhow, back to the OT. If you are set on FL, I'd go to S FL.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 PM

981 posts, read 631,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Great advice ^^^. From time to time people ask this question about various cities. Here is what I think - I have gay/lesbian relatives, one lives in St. Pete, the other in the midwest. Both have lived in a lot of different cities, some known for having a large gay population, others not so much. Neither has suffered any major issues for being gay. Bottom line, as Tilli above said, if you are the type person who just lives your life minding your business you can live anywhere, keeping in mind larger metro areas are probably more accepting overall.

If you are the flambuoyant type who who is militant, in-your-face, and the "debauchery", you might want to pick a place like South Beach or Key West. Someone mentioned Asheville - sorry, but Asheville is no better or worse than any other town, they have a gay pop. but only right downtown and to the north. I met many homophobes there who told me where the "gay areas" are, and I should "stay out" of those neighborhoods.

We currently live in Sarasota which has a large populations of gays, I have many gay/lesbian friends here. In Tampa, Ybor area and Seminole Heights are areas that a lot of the gay/lesbian pop. live.

Wow. I never realized there was a whole 'nother categorization for gay people based on how "actively gay" they appear. This comment smacks of condescension (although I appreciate the rest of the post, as it contains good information).

Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 PM

15,126 posts, read 31,032,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Wow. I never realized there was a whole 'nother categorization for gay people based on how "actively gay" they appear. This comment smacks of condescension (although I appreciate the rest of the post, as it contains good information).
This wasn't meant to be condescending at all, I was echoing another's post about what type of lifestyle one wants to lead. The fact is I know gays who love being "flambuoyant" and into the "dress-up" and party lifestyle, and others who are reserved and live a quiet life. We don't know you or how you like to live, so just trying to point you in the right direction. Sorry if my post appeared condescending, it wasn't meant to be.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,707,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

I might be generalizing but after doing some research and exploring gays more, I would guess that Miami would have more of the fairy queens than Tampa. I like conservative/gay bi rocker type guys moreso than I like the queened out in your face types so Id pick Tampa/St Pete myself.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:18 AM

23 posts, read 51,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It depends on what you want. Tampa is mostly gay-friendly and the gay scene is pretty low-key. You can live your life and most people will leave you to it. If you just want to feel normal, Tampa could be just the ticket. If you want full scale debauchery and a very active, vibrant gay scene, you should go to South Beach instead.
tilli, you phrased it perfectly!
being a gay like this (lol), who would rather just be normal, i think the tampa area sounds great...i don't need the sensationalized life of P-Town (Mass.).
i also wanted to add something i read, keep in mind it is from wikipedia, but it's based on a UCLA study:

"A 2006 study by UCLA suggests that Tampa has one of the highest GLBT populations per capita with 6.1% of citizens polled identifying as gay, lesbian, or bisexual. The Tampa Bay metropolitan area also ranks 5th of all major metropolitan areas with 5.9% being GLBT."

so just a thought, i think it may be more gay than you think...just like tilli said, not as flamboyant.

thanks for the comment.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:22 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,322,230 times
Pinellas County (St Pete) is, overall, more LGBT-friendly than Hillsborough (Tampa). Well, except maybe Largo. Overall, Pass-a-Grille, Dunedin, Old Southeast (St Pete) and a few other spots have had a reputation for being pretty welcoming. The towns to the north and east sides of Tampa? Not so much-- more of a Polk County sensibility.
This is the most recent pride parade. There's obviously lots more to it than parading, but it will give you some idea of the range of the community here:
St. Petersburg streets joyfully swamped by gay pride parade - St. Petersburg Times

Old 12-25-2009, 12:14 PM

6,960 posts, read 12,446,081 times
You won't like this, but its my theory for what its worth. To me it makes sense and I try to live by it.

Consider areas that are more affordable and where the job is as well as the distance commuting. Don't always go by what is more gay friendly. Also if gay people continue to avoid such areas as I described because they are not assumed to be gay friendly. What good does it do. Places never diversify and America continues to be allowed to separate and segregate. Places remain very conservative and many of those areas are much more affordable to live. I have found the more gay friendly an area is, the more expensive it is and more densely populated. Im sure gay people want to live in gay friendly areas I know I do. I just don't always want what comes with the area.

With that said the areas that people mentioned would be the best as far as gay friendly. One region people would never guess that many gay people live is. Polk County but they seem to be a more hidden population and that is sad. To bad with so many gays living there, the good ole boy mindset doesn't move out or mellow down. Its a much more affordable area of Tampa Bay region to live between Tampa and Orlando.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:16 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,187,034 times
What does that mean, gay friendly? Live your life, go to work, hang out with friends and don't get all sexual with another person in public. Gay or straight,isn't that the way it is? Who would ever know and why should they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or