U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2009, 06:05 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Reputation: 33987

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I may have misunderstood but i thought the OP was asking that to residents of the Tampa area, probablly trying to get a feel from people who actually live here.Believe me there' s a big difference between living here and wanting to live here.

Exactly. Sunny Days has been moving here for the last 20 yrs..lol... until you actually live somewhere not visit, you have no idea what it is like.

Postive- the different types of birds you see, especially the herons and the cranes( I find them interesting to watch).

Negative- the "me first" attitude especially in the driving.

 
Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
With respect, Sunny, I don't think it works that way.

Short periods of time don't give anyone a good, complete picture of anywhere. It's better than only seeing cities on websites, but it's hardly "knowing". Part of the reason snowbirds, for example, love Florida is because they only deal with it in small chunks. When things start to become same-old, same-old, they leave for elsewhere. That goes for college kids living here only part of the year, people who travel into the state frequently for business, or military members who are here TDY. The sense of investment is different, the patience level is different, and yes, sometimes the sense of "ohgodwilliteverend??" is different.
Think of the difference in qualitative experience between living with your girlfriend on weekends vs. being married ten years. Or four consecutive weekends in jail vs. a life sentence. Or spending a day at Disney World vs. a week, and both vs working there. The depth of knowledge simply cannot be compared.
You probably know Florida better than most people in the US. But you don't know it as well as people who've lived here even a couple of years. let alone as well as those of us who remember the Christmas snow, Hurricane Elena, or Central Florida before the Rat. You simply can't.

Very well said. Even a snowbird who only lives here a few months in the winter can't really say they know what it is like.

Their perception of Florida during the moderate winter days that everyone enjoys gives them no clue as to how brutal the summers and fall are here.

Unless you live here year round you really don't have an accurate view of the place.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 PM
 
96 posts, read 225,916 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Most Florida natives have left for NC ,GA & TN really where did you get that sterling piece of data ?

You realize what you are saying ....... correct ? .... in other words the majority of natives in the entire state of Florida have left for NC , GA or TN ... you realize how large a state Florida is and if that were true you would be seeing backlash towards hordes of relocated Floridians especially from the natives of NC .... I do not include GA or TN as other than mountains I could not see the plus to to moving to either state . You have to be careful when making sweeping statements like these and I disagree with you in that the majority of Florida natives have moved to other states such as NC , GA or TN . The bulk of your posts have an very anti Florida tone and you seem fixated with the above three states .. do you really think that your life will be so much better in those places .. please explain ? ... why would you just not move to Northern Florida if you want a more laid back Southern feel ?
I totally agree and give the original OP benefit of the doubt and give them Charlotte and Atlanta to flee to. What, are people going to Charlotte, the once mighty queen that has crumbled, lol. Ok next choice, Atlanta. Better choice but to flee Florida for Atlanta, CMON man there's better choices than that. And TN, lol that's just way too funny ! I've said it before and say it again, I get the feeling a significant amount of people residing in Tampa think it's so much better somewhere else. Nope "ain't happenin". It sucks pretty much everywhere right now with the economy and real estate market. Like anything in life, it is what you make of it.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Denver
600 posts, read 889,981 times
Reputation: 692
Positive - I just think Tampa is a beautiful area. So much natural beauty around here with the water, beaches, bay, as well as inland nature preserves. I wish I had taken more time to enjoy them all.

Negative - lack of public transport.

The thunderstorms don't bother me unless I'm stuck driving in one. Had a nasty episode on I4 in a torrential downpour a few years ago that left me a bit nervous to drive in the rain.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,775,798 times
Reputation: 2141
Now with all due respect, which natives are we actually talking about here? The -Indians? The Spanish? Because Florida WAS purchased from Spain.....who are we talking or consider as being a native here since the rate of people moving here from elsewhere was always higher than the actual generations that lived here since the very beginings!!!!
 
Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 PM
 
17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Reputation: 33987
gypsychic: have you ever been outside Tampa? have you ever been in London? Paris? Rome? Bucharest? Athens? anywhere?
We know you love Sarasota and what you get there as "the arts" OK......but you need to find a way to understand that when someone else other than YOU has traveled a lot and had the opportunity to see HIGH QUALITY ballet, concerts & theater what comes around here UNLESS it is the American Ballet itself or the New York City ballet or San Francisco Ballet, it is all regional stuff, good, but not excellent. It is like comparing apples with oranges......


Well said. You cannot compare a third rate touring company of "Les Miserables" to a Broadway production. Nor can you compare the Boston Pops to some local orchestra.

The other thing when something worthwhile does come to Tampa the tickets are quite pricey. And it is very rare that something like for example the Celtic Women even perform here.

Anyone who has lived or spent time in major cities can tell you can get same day tickets for Broadway shows or concerts. Usually at half price.

If you want to compare beaches that is one thing, but lets not pretend that culture is something you have at your fingetips here. Or that it equals other cities.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Tampa, Fl
4,091 posts, read 4,692,792 times
Reputation: 3361
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Now with all due respect, which natives are we actually talking about here? The -Indians? The Spanish? Because Florida WAS purchased from Spain.....who are we talking or consider as being a native here since the rate of people moving here from elsewhere was always higher than the actual generations that lived here since the very beginings!!!!
People who were born, raised, and lived here their whole life. I doubt we'd ask the Spanish, who the US bought Florida from some 300 years ago, or the Indians who are no longer "rulers" of this land.
 
Old 12-31-2009, 01:09 AM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,422,769 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
With respect, Sunny, I don't think it works that way.

Short periods of time don't give anyone a good, complete picture of anywhere. It's better than only seeing cities on websites, but it's hardly "knowing". Part of the reason snowbirds, for example, love Florida is because they only deal with it in small chunks. When things start to become same-old, same-old, they leave for elsewhere. That goes for college kids living here only part of the year, people who travel into the state frequently for business, or military members who are here TDY. The sense of investment is different, the patience level is different, and yes, sometimes the sense of "ohgodwilliteverend??" is different.
Think of the difference in qualitative experience between living with your girlfriend on weekends vs. being married ten years. Or four consecutive weekends in jail vs. a life sentence. Or spending a day at Disney World vs. a week, and both vs working there. The depth of knowledge simply cannot be compared.
You probably know Florida better than most people in the US. But you don't know it as well as people who've lived here even a couple of years. let alone as well as those of us who remember the Christmas snow, Hurricane Elena, or Central Florida before the Rat. You simply can't.

I understand you.

But, on the other hand I know for a fact that 3 former posters here posted how they could not wait to get back to Florida, two of them in the Tampa area and one in Ft Myers area that absolutely lied to people about the areas and their experiences. All in an effort to blame the Tampa and the state for their lives going downward. When in fact, one in particular posted how much they could not wait to get back to Florida and when they did, they went belly up because of poor financial decisions and when the economy went down his family business went with it. Then blamed the schools, the area, crime, the state and anything else he could on his failures.

He thought he was an expert on this area when in fact he was only in the area for a few months after bragging how he stole a 350k house for 179k and life was going to be so great in Florida. All to find out he lost his butt due to poor financing and lack of jobs skills to find jobs after his parents business went belly up.

So, with that said, I understand your point but I can tell you I know Florida as well as "some" and "many" actual Florida residents, but not "all" Florida residents.

Is that fair to say?

Sorry to come across so harsh but it gets old to hear all these sob stories about how bad things are when you find out they were only bad for certain people who make bad decisions but then blamed the Tampa area, its residents, schools, crime etc for their failures.

People like me know there are good and bad in the Tampa area and Florida like all other cities and states.
 
Old 12-31-2009, 01:14 AM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,422,769 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Very well said. Even a snowbird who only lives here a few months in the winter can't really say they know what it is like.

Their perception of Florida during the moderate winter days that everyone enjoys gives them no clue as to how brutal the summers and fall are here.

Unless you live here year round you really don't have an accurate view of the place.

Not all snowbirds and I am not one of them only come in the best parts of the year.

It does not take a year to see the good and bad of things.

I have been coming to Florida for more then 20 years and during all weather conditions and have no problem with the heat or humidity.

Fact is I prefer to be at Tampa/St Pete, Clearwater or Anna Maria Island areas, or Disney in July or August.

POSITIVE: Year around sporting such as scuba etc.

NEGATIVE: I would say the traffic more then anything else.
 
Old 12-31-2009, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,243,962 times
Reputation: 6009
Do any of the cities that have all the culture also boast some of the WORLDS best beaches? A casual relaxed way of life? Sunshine MOST of the time? Some of the best nature has to offer? I don't think so.
If you want "HIGH QUALITY ballet, concerts & theate" you should be living in London, Paris, Rome, Bucharest, Athens. If you want to see New York City ballet or San Francisco Ballet that is great. Tampa International has daily flights to both cities!.

When someone in New York wants some opf WORLDS best beaches, a casual relaxed way of life, sunshine MOST of the time, some of the best nature has to offer, recreation and sports of all kinds, they come to FLORIDA.

If you expect to have this amazing "cultural" life style, why are earth would you look for it in Florida? That's like looking for a polar bear in Africa. Why would anyone expect it for that matter? You're right. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

Yeah, if you are in New York and to to TKTS you can get 1/2 price tickets, same day. Big deal. I would rather pay for choice seats at full price, know where I am going and when instead of letting "what's available" decide my time and planning.

I think some people's expectations of Florida are not what Florida has to offer.



Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
gypsychic: have you ever been outside Tampa? have you ever been in London? Paris? Rome? Bucharest? Athens? anywhere?
We know you love Sarasota and what you get there as "the arts" OK......but you need to find a way to understand that when someone else other than YOU has traveled a lot and had the opportunity to see HIGH QUALITY ballet, concerts & theater what comes around here UNLESS it is the American Ballet itself or the New York City ballet or San Francisco Ballet, it is all regional stuff, good, but not excellent. It is like comparing apples with oranges......


Well said. You cannot compare a third rate touring company of "Les Miserables" to a Broadway production. Nor can you compare the Boston Pops to some local orchestra.

The other thing when something worthwhile does come to Tampa the tickets are quite pricey. And it is very rare that something like for example the Celtic Women even perform here.

Anyone who has lived or spent time in major cities can tell you can get same day tickets for Broadway shows or concerts. Usually at half price.

If you want to compare beaches that is one thing, but lets not pretend that culture is something you have at your fingetips here. Or that it equals other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top