Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:15 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Positive: Choices. No matter your preference in housing, sports, arts, shopping, entertainment, or restaurants, there are lots of options for every lifestyle.

Negative: People moving here looking for the same lifestyle from their hometown or where they were raised. There are few walkable communities and no mass transit, but people seem to believe (inaccurately) that they exist here. Those coming here with an open mind and a positive attitude do best.

Great post.

People making good decisions and research is the key. ( BEFORE they move)

Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
The OP asked for our opinion and mine is your climate is a HUGE positive.

As we have hashed out on this forum for a long time many who have left for NC-SC-TN etc have found that they miss Florida and have moved back.

If the oppressive heat and humidity bothers you, you should have left a long time ago.

If you read a of ton of post over time you will see many of the unhappy folks blame Florida for them not liking Florida. I can post names of many who did blame Florida when I know it was them who picked the wrong town, wrong house, wrong neighborhood, wrong job etc etc etc.

I cannot remember many post where people who want to move out of Florida because of the people moving in. Florida has grown in size for 30+ years or more in a row and you just now noticed the people moving in?

I do not think it is the people who are moving in that is the problem for most people, I believe it is other issues and it is easy to just lay blame on others.

You also stated it was unfortunate for many of you to be moving out. Why is it if you do not like the heat and humidity? If it was SO BAD in Florida then it would be a blessing to move right?

Florida has the 3rd largest amount of people of any US state and they are ALL unhappy with the climate? Wow!

Positive- All those leaving gives those of us who want to live in Florida more room and less grumpy people out there.
I may have misunderstood but i thought the OP was asking that to residents of the Tampa area, probablly trying to get a feel from people who actually live here.Believe me there' s a big difference between living here and wanting to live here.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:18 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I may have misunderstood but i thought the OP was asking that to residents of the Tampa area, probablly trying to get a feel from people who actually live here.Believe me there' s a big difference between living here and wanting to live here.
Very true. It's not all beaches and pina coladas.

Positive- Some great independent, unique restaurants.

Negative- Every little errand requires some kind of transportation. It's usually too hot and too far away to walk or bike. Besides, being a pedestrian or a bicyclist is down right dangerous around here.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:56 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Very true. It's not all beaches and pina coladas.

Positive- Some great independent, unique restaurants.

Negative- Every little errand requires some kind of transportation. It's usually too hot and too far away to walk or bike. Besides, being a pedestrian or a bicyclist is down right dangerous around here.
You could, like many, end up as roadkill if you go for a bikeride anywhere in Central Florida

Old 12-27-2009, 03:49 PM

190 posts, read 493,081 times
Positive: Fisherman's paradise. Negative: Can't leave windows open due to abundance of noisy motorcycles.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:20 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post

I know Florida as well as most residents. Especially those who never come out of their house!

I spent on average 2-3 months over the course of a year in Florida and lived in Florida for a short period of time.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I know Florida as well as most residents. Especially those who never come out of their house!

I spent on average 2-3 months over the course of a year in Florida and lived in Florida for a short period of time.

With respect, Sunny, I don't think it works that way.

Short periods of time don't give anyone a good, complete picture of anywhere. It's better than only seeing cities on websites, but it's hardly "knowing". Part of the reason snowbirds, for example, love Florida is because they only deal with it in small chunks. When things start to become same-old, same-old, they leave for elsewhere. That goes for college kids living here only part of the year, people who travel into the state frequently for business, or military members who are here TDY. The sense of investment is different, the patience level is different, and yes, sometimes the sense of "ohgodwilliteverend??" is different.
Think of the difference in qualitative experience between living with your girlfriend on weekends vs. being married ten years. Or four consecutive weekends in jail vs. a life sentence. Or spending a day at Disney World vs. a week, and both vs working there. The depth of knowledge simply cannot be compared.
You probably know Florida better than most people in the US. But you don't know it as well as people who've lived here even a couple of years. let alone as well as those of us who remember the Christmas snow, Hurricane Elena, or Central Florida before the Rat. You simply can't.

Last edited by Aconite; 12-28-2009 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-28-2009, 10:11 AM

80 posts, read 231,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
With respect, Sunny, I don't think it works that way.

Short periods of time don't give anyone a good, complete picture of anywhere. It's better than only seeing cities on websites, but it's hardly "knowing". Part of the reason snowbirds, for example, love Florida is because they only deal with it in small chunks. When things start to become same-old, same-old, they leave for elsewhere. That goes for college kids living here only part of the year, people who travel into the state frequently for business, or military members who are here TDY. The sense of investment is different, the patience level is different, and yes, sometimes the sense of "ohgodwilliteverend??" is different.
Think of the difference in qualitative experience between living with your girlfriend on weekends vs. being married ten years. Or four consecutive weekends in jail vs. a life sentence. Or spending a day at Disney World vs. a week, and both vs working there. The depth of knowledge simply cannot be compared.
You probably know Florida better than most people in the US. But you don't know it as well as people who've lived here even a couple of years. let alone as well as those of us who remember the Christmas snow, Hurricane Elena, or Central Florida before the Rat. You simply can't.

Excellent post!

You hit it right on the head.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 PM

463 posts, read 1,048,191 times
Positive: The endless activities from hiking to kitchy tourist traps.

Negative: Good restaurants, not saying they don't exist but I really like those hole in the wall, mom and pop establishments with character and good food.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:01 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I think the climate is actually a negative. I'm a FL native, and although most natives have left for NC, GA and TN, I still get sick of the oppressive heat and humidity.

And I'm not sure that people actually blame the state. If they didnt do their homework, then they are to blame. But many of us just want out due to the folks moving in, and those who are unfortrunately, moving out and on to other states (like mentioned above).

Most Florida natives have left for NC ,GA & TN really where did you get that sterling piece of data ?

You realize what you are saying ....... correct ? .... in other words the majority of natives in the entire state of Florida have left for NC , GA or TN ... you realize how large a state Florida is and if that were true you would be seeing backlash towards hordes of relocated Floridians especially from the natives of NC .... I do not include GA or TN as other than mountains I could not see the plus to to moving to either state . You have to be careful when making sweeping statements like these and I disagree with you in that the majority of Florida natives have moved to other states such as NC , GA or TN . The bulk of your posts have an very anti Florida tone and you seem fixated with the above three states .. do you really think that your life will be so much better in those places .. please explain ? ... why would you just not move to Northern Florida if you want a more laid back Southern feel ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay