Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 PM

161 posts, read 450,305 times

Advertisements

positive: thunderstorms

negative: even the most community oriented people around here act like tourists who are interested only in what they can get not what they can give

Old 12-28-2009, 02:59 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aninaction View Post
positive: thunderstorms

negative: even the most community oriented people around here act like tourists who are interested only in what they can get not what they can give
I haven't run into the latter so much. Try volunteering for community radio, or organizing a homeschool coop, or being one of the countless unsung folks who coordinate and set up things like Gecko Fest, Ironman, or the Highland Games. Or (heaven help you) being the mom with the thankless job of making sure each kid has the right uniform-- all the pieces the right size-- for any of a zillion leagues or bands.

As for the tourists...eh. A lot of 'em can be jerks (though admittedly so can residents and parttimers). I try not to be a jerk in their backyards, but I probably do drive like an idiot when I'm someplace I've never been.
Have to say I like British tourists, though-- if I may wield a broad brush for a moment, they nearly always seem to be polite, and I've never seen a fifty-something British man in a speedo.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,033,797 times
....Oh dear!!! is this what i have to look forward to come summer down at Clearwater beach..lol

Seriously though, there are alot of volunteer organizations here...worth looking into..or getting involved in..hoping to get involved with mangrove and sand dune restoration groups some time in the spring...

...and yes, ...Bring on the T-storms!!!...it is really cold tonight lol..

By the way, what is Gecko fest??? sounds interesting..

Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,295,988 times
Sorry I can't pick just one...

Positives;
Close to water
The economy is much better than the other larger cities in FL such as Orlando which relies exclusively on tourism and housing...or Miami which tanked with 16 condo skyscrapers down town sitting empty or Jacksonville which amongst other things can't finish that stretch of 95 for the last 10-12 years now....Tampa has more businesses and it is not focused 100% on tourism...nor housing...to survive...
Housing market here is much better than people really think....
People are much nicer here than in Miami...and they do speak English and you don't have to be bilingual to get a job as you would have to be in Miami or Orlando

Negatives:
No usable public transportation
No Local high quality theater ballet, music, Broadway type shows...way to much football...
No affordable for the whole family (the same day) museums, not a large variety either...
High Insurance rates
CDD's
Not enough entertaining things to do for kids such as Fort Lauderdale's (at SawGrass Mall) WannadoCity...Welcome to Wannado City

I think I'll leave it to that...

Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Most Florida natives have left for NC ,GA & TN really where did you get that sterling piece of data ?

You realize what you are saying ....... correct ? .... in other words the majority of natives in the entire state of Florida have left for NC , GA or TN ... you realize how large a state Florida is and if that were true you would be seeing backlash towards hordes of relocated Floridians especially from the natives of NC .... I do not include GA or TN as other than mountains I could not see the plus to to moving to either state . You have to be careful when making sweeping statements like these and I disagree with you in that the majority of Florida natives have moved to other states such as NC , GA or TN . The bulk of your posts have an very anti Florida tone and you seem fixated with the above three states .. do you really think that your life will be so much better in those places .. please explain ? ... why would you just not move to Northern Florida if you want a more laid back Southern feel ?
Tried to give you rep points for that, but apparently have given you too many recently! Totally agree with you, I'm a third generation native who loves it here and plan on staying! The poster you quoted hates where he lives in the center of the state, and perhaps has good reason to feel that way about that particular area. The thing is, he also believes that utopia is to be found in a certain NC mountain town, but I think if he moves there he will find it is not "all that" after all.

Anyway, positives - beautiful waterfronts and beaches, nice weather, great food, nature

Negatives - Tampa has "patchy" neighborhoods (good close to bad), some areas too much traffic

Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,033,797 times
Gypsy..Have to agree on both of those points.. 19 gets a little crazy after 4pm on many days...i can't imagine what i will face come summer..lol

As for the neighborhoods, Ive noticed the high density of mobile home parks..not necessarily a bad thing but it seems like the layouts were not well thought out in some instances..

One really nice thing i have noticed in some of the older neighborhoods are lots of large, and well established trees..some of these neighborhoods resemble others in the nicer parts of Cincinnati Ohio..or neighborhoods of a similar age back home in the Bay Area (SF/SJ)..except with much larger lots..

Old 12-29-2009, 01:26 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,197 times
+ It really can't get much worse?

- The economy. The people. The lack of high paying jobs for young people. The lack of any real form of entertainment for nonalcoholics. The lack of mass transit. Tourists. The lack of mom and pop shops. The severe lack of Fortune 1000 companies.

The economy is the biggest problem here, and it shows no real signs of letting up. I've lived in the Tampa area my whole life. Forbes has rated it the #1 worst city for young people for years in a row. I guess I fall into this category. It's a nice place for people looking to live in a big city without actually being in a big city, people who love the weather (though Atlanta would be a better choice, especially with 75% of the Forbes 1000 list), and the retired. There's next to nothing for kids to do. The transplants from New York like to show off their amazing driving also.

The worst part is, the state shows SOO much potential... And does nothing with it.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,375,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Negatives:

No Local high quality theater ballet, music, Broadway type shows...way to much football...

Not enough entertaining things to do for kids such as Fort Lauderdale's (at SawGrass Mall) WannadoCity...Welcome to Wannado City
Just want to ask what you see elsewhere specifically that you dont see here in the Tampa area, especially at places like Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, Mahaffey Theater, Ruth Eckerd Hall, Van Weisel Performing Arts Center, The Forum, Tampa Theater to name a few places for theater, ballet, music, orchestra, broadway type shows...and I didnt even include
the dozens of Independant theater's or theater companies in the area.

That Wannadocity looks neat, have you seen one of these anywhere else in the country? There are so many things to do with kids in the area, and WannadoCity is not free...what else specifically are you missing here in the area for kids? I keep my nieces and nephews busy when they visit, and my friends kids are always participating and active doing something in the area...

Just looking to help out if I can...

Tampa is no NYC, Chicago or LA(thank goodness - love those cities but wouldnt want to live there), but this small city does offer alot that the big cities do, just on a much smaller scale...

Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Just want to ask what you see elsewhere specifically that you dont see here in the Tampa area, especially at places like Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, Mahaffey Theater, Ruth Eckerd Hall, Van Weisel Performing Arts Center, The Forum, Tampa Theater to name a few places for theater, ballet, music, orchestra, broadway type shows...and I didnt even include
the dozens of Independant theater's or theater companies in the area.

That Wannadocity looks neat, have you seen one of these anywhere else in the country? There are so many things to do with kids in the area, and WannadoCity is not free...what else specifically are you missing here in the area for kids? I keep my nieces and nephews busy when they visit, and my friends kids are always participating and active doing something in the area...

Just looking to help out if I can...

Tampa is no NYC, Chicago or LA(thank goodness - love those cities but wouldnt want to live there), but this small city does offer alot that the big cities do, just on a much smaller scale...
Thanks, Tampaguy. And in addition to what Tampaguy named, just outside of Tampa you can go to Lakeland which has a wonderful performance venue - the Lakeland Center, I saw MANY high quality Broadway shows there when I was living there, and live entertainment at the restored movie palace, the Polk Theatre. Just 40 minutes east of Tampa.

One hour south of Tampa here in Sarasota, we just had the first Ringling International Arts Festival, in conjunction with Baryshnikov Arts Center - it was a smashing success, and all at low prices so everyone could afford it!

Ringling International Arts Festival

So certain posters really need to quit the blah-blah about no arts and culture here, if you can't find it you are not looking! Also, I believe Tampa's Performing Arts Centre is the largest in the southeast. We got plenty here, in the Tampa Bay Area!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
Please stay on topic. The post is about Tampa and not about FL or Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay