Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,566,765 times

Advertisements

I'm not getting why the residents in, say, Tampa, don't travel to St. Pete or those from Brandon don't travel to Crystal River. I am just using these as examples, but I am constantly shocked when I read on this board that people don't seem to go anywhere except for their own immediate area.
I know traffic is horrid there in the rush house and probably the daytime, but what about the evening after, say, 7 pm? Is it that crowded on the highways and roads?
Can someone enlighten me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
I go to St. Pete when I have a reason to, like to visit friends or the Dali museum. I have been to Crystal River, it wasn't that special. What makes you think that people never travel around?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
I travel around the Bay area, I have friends in St Pete, Clearwater, Dunedin, Dade City, Sarasota....and I live in Tampa, plus I like visiting those areas(beaches, parks, biking and recreation, baseball, concerts, dining and nightlife, etc...) Not sure what you mean by people dont leave thier area?? Like Tilli says, I travel outside my area when I have a reason...

Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
I live in Tampa and I go exploring in St. Pete/Pinellas Park/Clearwater all the time. As for Crystal River, well, that place is pretty dumpy.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:11 AM

807 posts, read 3,186,952 times
Every area has a fair share of the population that stays close to home. To say you're "constantly shocked" might be a bit dramatic...ya' think?

I've found that the biker crowd seems to travel around more in search of yet another 'great ride'.

The notion that people there don't travel around is unfounded. We frequently go exploring within a 100 mile radius or so.

Here's our part-time co-pilot:
(bad navigator!)

Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
Every area has a fair share of the population that stays close to home. To say you're "constantly shocked" might be a bit dramatic...ya' think?

I've found that the biker crowd seems to travel around more in search of yet another 'great ride'.

The notion that people there don't travel around is unfounded. We frequently go exploring within a 100 mile radius or so.

Here's our part-time co-pilot:
(bad navigator!)
I agree with On-da-Beach - where would you get the idea no one travels? Due to traffic and gas, most people don't do it on a daily basis, but rather when they have a reason or want to go exploring. Heck my hubby travels one hour (51 miles) every day to work! And every other weekend we go to Lakeland to take care of personal business. To say you're "constantly shocked" does sound a bit extreme. I guess I wonder why this would even be any kind of issue for you?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Anyone down here who goes to the beach usually goes to Indian Rocks, St. Pete, or Clearwater, that alone makes this argument BS.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM

463 posts, read 1,048,288 times
I've lived here since 89 and we travel all over the place. We drive to Orlando 1-2 times a month as well.

I don't believe your assumption is accurate.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 PM

335 posts, read 939,169 times
Hmmm I live in unincorporated Hillsborough so in order to go to good beaches (IMO the best reason to live here) I have to travel at least 30 miles. I've been staying in lately to save $$ but otherwise I travel to Sarasota, Gulfport, downtown St. Pete (my favorite), AMI, Oldsmar for the track and so on. My parents go to Orlando many times a year and well my sister doesn't go far but she lives in Clearwater and has a lot at her disposal.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:42 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
I live in North Tampa and volunteer neat St. Pete every week. I also don't limit myself to Tampa for other day trips. I live where I do because I'm 6 miles from work and can therefore bike there. But my colleagues commute from all over the Bay area, including Brandon and St. Pete. Doing that daily seems like a drag due to the length of the commute, but I do it at least weekly for my volunteer work. Most people I know here travel all around the bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay