U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 12:11 PM

461 posts, read 357,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMoving View Post
Too many people in Atlanta and the traffic is absolutely HORRIBLE. I'd venture to say it's worse in Atlanta than in NYC.
They're probably due for a hurricane at some point too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I find it amazing how someone can stay in the same area their whole life.
I'd be bored.. unless I saw a ton and I am over it all.. I'd find one place to settle down and be boring OR if I never traveled and I desensitized myself to one location. Seems theres only 2 extremes for staying somewhere long term. But if you're in the checking a place out phase and it takes you a long long time to get settled, maybe its not the place for you. I dont get how people can stay down here more than 3 years personally or 3 and 1/2 to 4. Tampa/St Pete was NOT designed to be an area for people to establish permanent residency. I see many people who move to the area trying to force a fit that cant be a fit. Like forcing a square peg in a round hole. Thats why when overcrowdedness hits this place, it will be worse once this gets like Atlanta or Los Angeles. Tampa area will be flushed away. I am a bit of a skeptic on here but I see it all starting now actually with these storms.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
I spent 21yrs in Cobb county and 4yrs in St. Pete. Atlanta is a much bigger city than Tampa which leads to both pro's and cons. Atlanta is probably better for someone who is still trying to climb the ladder career wise as there will be more jobs and more large companies. Most of the corporate / tech jobs will be in the northern suburbs, which would be Cobb county, N. Fulton and Gwinnett. The traffic in the northern suburbs is a horror show. You do not want to be on 285, Ga. 400 or 75 or 85 anytime close to rush hour!! Someone mentioned public transportation and Marta. The suburbs are terrified of 'urban people' coming to the suburbs so the Atlanta transit system (Marta) does not expand into the suburbs. For getting from point A to point B within the city itself, Marta will work but if you live in the suburbs, there is no public transportation.
The people in Atlanta are kind of competitive and people are very status conscious there. St. Pete has a laid back, party and chill vibe, Atlanta is pretty much money focused. As far as weather, it does get hotter in Atlanta, it's not uncommon for the temps to be triple digits in the summer, however it does have 4 seasons. It can get pretty cold in the winter (although it is still the south so it's not as bad as the north east). Spring and fall have perfect weather. Although there won't be hurricanes in Atlanta there does seem to be a lot of tornadoes. If you are a beach person, it will be a 5hr drive to the nearest walt water. There are a few very large lakes in the area in the northern suburbs. If you like the mountains and nature though, you can be in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in less than an hour.
To me the biggest difference is lifestyle and attitude. If I were younger and looking to build a career I would do Atlanta before Tampa but if I were more middle aged or older and I was more worried about vibe and lifestyle, I would go for Tampa (St. Pete) in a heartbeat.

That kind of reminds me of Manatee County sort of like in the Parrish area. They didnt want public transportation or light rail going through it from Tampa or St Pete. People complained the crime would go up in their area. Its gonna come no matter what though so long as theres roads and ntm easy access roads like 301 to get you up to Hillsborough and back. The crime managed to increase up in NE Manatee County all on its own plus you got Palmetto nearby. But ya thats what it sounds like the North ATL suburbs is like to me. Cumming is probably a more well developed Parrish. All newer stuff kinda thing, some is expensive, other parts are country.. Sort of like how I see Cumming. Cumming may be more racially protected though as its in a historical county for KKK chapters.

Ok now I did what I shouldnt have done, but I just didnt have as many options at the time. I was in Northern CA toward Reno area in the foothills living at my parents house, bored as hell. I didnt like the area or the people, I wanted to return to Tampa area because lets face it out of the 2 options if you want opportunities, St Pete/Tampa will look better if you dont know better and cant afford CA rents if you were to move on your own. So I returned, lived near my stepdad who passed away within one year or so. I been stuck down here by myself since. Its a choice I Made but if I get a good opportunity to leave.. I WILL NEVER be sucked back into coming down to Tampa area, even St Pete again. This place is a BLACK HOLE economically, socially and whatever. Its like the area my mom lives in, only worse in some ways. The riff raff, the drugs are worse for starters. But again back in 2015 I didnt know better really. St Pete/Tampa was trying to advertise themselves as a destination city, the downtown gentrification, more possible companies coming to the area. I thought for an entry level worker, this would be a better area than where I was living. How wrong I was though plus nothing got better for me socially in the bay area, I find it just as superficial as California just with a lower cost. Looking back, I would have stayed put and paid free rent if I knew if it was going to be this crappy. The feeling was fresh initially though, I thought young singles and young people were coming here, I like cigars also and the area does have a great cigar scene. So I said hey, I have nothing to lose. But I did lose at times. I've had people take deposit money from me and not pay back. This is a real crooked economy, fit for crooks worse than CA even and that area was pretty F'd too over by Roseville and Sacramento. Its been more on the upswing than here though in actual practice.. Maybe in the middle of Tampa and Atlanta when it comes to jobs or social life. Not great by any means, but better than here if you catch my drift IN SACRAMENTO or some of the southern towns like Vacaville.. Even Galt , a poor community around there is better than a town like Largo or Gibsonton and has nicer people, even though it is dirt poor for the most part. So I still give Sac the edge over here and anyone with any bit of education would too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay